tatman

No thanks not now its winter come back in spring
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:10:35 pm »
Had my first customer this year ask me to leave windows and start again in spring. What a cheek been going there like clockwork for the last 7 months ???Didnt know what to say (FOR ONCE). What do you say? ???

DaveBrown

Re: No thanks not now its winter come back in spring
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 06:13:30 pm »
"Ok Madam. See you in 5 months. By the way - 1st clean of the season will be 5x the usual amount!"

Dave

aztec

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 06:19:18 pm »
great answer dave!

steveaqua

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 06:20:40 pm »
had that yesterday, told her that we do not run a seasonal company and that we clean windows all year round, so if she cancels unfortunatly she will have to find a new window cleaner come the good weather.

>:(

craig jwc

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 06:25:33 pm »
I had one the other week and told her that with the increase of work and the regular customers, it will probably will be unlikely.

I also told her that i will be putting my prices up on all new work but keeping it the same for my exsisting customers.  

Told her that i would be re-pricing her house when she calls for me to go back as i will be looking at it as a new job, as i run my business throughout the whole year and not seasonal.

Not too bothered about it as i was thinking of dumping this one as she was always a late payer.

Craig

adixon

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:29:28 pm »
STEVEAQUA IS SPOT ON HAD THE SAME LAST YEAR ONLY ONE CUSTOMER FINISH OCTOBER START AGAIN APRIL OK MATE, NEVER WENT BACK STILL DO THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR BUT NOT BUMPED INTO THE OLD CUSTOMER YET AND HER WINDOWS NOW LOOK LIKE THEY'VE NOT BEEN DONE FOR TEN YEARS THEY WILL NEED YOU BEFORE YOU NEED THEM WALK AWAY

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 06:36:35 pm »
Had my first customer this year ask me to leave windows and start again in spring. What a cheek been going there like clockwork for the last 7 months ???Didnt know what to say (FOR ONCE). What do you say? ???

I just tell them that I will not be able to guarantee cleaning their windows in Spring because I have to look after my regulars first and that there may not be a gap in my work to slot them into.  I make sure that I don't take them on again even if my workload does have gaps.

macc

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 07:02:52 pm »
I would thank her for her custom but would let her know this is not how i work.

How are we supposed to pay our bills if customers use us like a corner shop. Neibours talk & if they know they can get away with taking the p*ss before you know it half your round will be seasonal.

My advice is contact her & on having a thought about it its not a service you offer.

Macc

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 07:43:19 pm »
I've tried explaining 'the issues' to tiny minority of customers who've requested this (come back in Spring), and from my experience it doesn't work.

I'm now quite blunt, yet polite, and tell them they can go for my every-other-month service (at an extra cost), or I won't return.

One went for an every-other-month and the others said something along the lines of 'never mind then, byeee'.

It's no skin off my nose; dropped.

You can do without these sort of customers.

Pj

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 08:14:03 pm »
I don't worry about these type.

If they're 'run of the mill' £10 type, I just tell them call me when you want me in the spring - if they do it's an unexpected bonus.

If they're big places, I tell them, "fine I'll call you around end of March/April", by which time they will say, "How much do I owe you this time?" ;)

Mr. S

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 08:35:38 pm »
Hi TOSH,

Considered some sort of every other month pricing too, how does yours work and what do ur customers say?

Cheers Craig

matt

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 08:53:42 pm »
remmber my post about this last year

the house in question has still not been cleaned all year, they must think the fog never lifts ;)

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 08:56:06 pm »
Hi TOSH,

Considered some sort of every other month pricing too, how does yours work and what do ur customers say?

Cheers Craig

Hi Craig,

I used to advertise an 'Every Other Month' scheme on my 'Your window cleaner has been' chits for 50% more than their monthly price.  

Out of over 300 customers at the time, I think I had about three customers take me up on it initially, over a course of a year.

I even asked here to find out why the uptake was so rubbish, and the feedback I received was that those terms and conditions were far too much in MY favour.

I still used the same chit until recently and had one or two more customers opt for this, but I didn't charge them 50% extra.  If it was an 8 quid semi, I'd charge them 10 pounds for an every other month service.

I reckon if you advertise a 20 to 30 percent increase for an every-other-month clean, then that's reasonable.

I think I was being a bit too greedy with a 50% increase.

I hope this helps.

Mr. S

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 08:59:25 pm »
Cheers Tosh,

I was thinking possibly a couple of quid mark up as reasonable too!

Much obliged!

Craig

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 09:01:10 pm »
I go with 25% , seems to work well, also if someone says miss me out this time I say fine but charge them more next time, then back to the agreed price and the agreed frequency after that

Mr. S

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 09:08:31 pm »
Cheers Chris!

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 09:17:57 pm »
some soon learn not to say miss me out mate cause they'll know whats coming.... had one of those customers this very morning  ;D

pjulk

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 09:21:52 pm »
I have not had that yet this year as when i take them on i tell them i work all year not just spring and summer.

But if i do get it no worries they will just have to find another window cleaner when they want it again.
And if they ring up in the spring i would just say sorry love but your place has been taken and im full up.

Paul

matt

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 10:56:18 pm »
with another interest rate increase, now 5% i think we might be  seeing a few more "everyother time" cleans

oldbeeches

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 12:30:04 am »
i just say if they were to go in to work and the boss said dont need you today come back after christmas would they accept that .  they usally get the point, if they dont they never see me again