Van the man

Drought order info.
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:13:17 pm »
Hi
I`m  a traditional window cleaner in the south east under East Surrey Waters jurisdiction, can someone tell me where we stand with this drought order?
I`ve had a number of customers asking "Should you be doing that"?

rosskesava

Re: Drought order info.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:16:34 pm »
I don't know for 100% certain but I'm 99.9% sure.

If you are trad only then the restrictions don't apply to you.

I'm not far that far from you (I live in Brighton) and I know the restrictions they've applied in the Sutton area and around there don't apply to traditional window cleaners because we have a few sub contracted commercial jobs around there so I've been keeping an eye on things.

Cheers

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:22:24 pm »
No restrictions at all at the moment even for wfp.

It is unlikely that wfp will be told to stop working under present restrictions.

If it gets to a 3rd stage drought order then it is time to stop ,as that is the stage where we face stand pipes in the street.
Then you would have to be hard faced to carry on even if you brought your water in from elsewhere.

Dave

macc

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:27:20 pm »

Then you would have to be hard faced to carry on even if you brought your water in from elsewhere.

Dave

May i ask why Dave.  ???

Van the man

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:29:28 pm »
Nice one chaps
It feels very strange to be hoping for rain!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:33:09 pm »
maac

Do i realy have to explain that

ok then

Big queue at end of street for drinking water.
Big shiney van turns up and squirts water every where.

Yes for me i would have to be hard faced to do it, i would just chill out and wait until restrictions were lifted, or just cleaned bottom windows

If you could carry on in that situation.

Good luck to you

Dave

Morph

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 11:43:01 pm »
Mr St Ivel
I think you need glasses!

Your spelling is deteriorating as the days go on!

Unless you've been drrrrrinking! :o

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:43:26 pm »
I think this year will be warm but wet and I also think during June we will have another dose of rain. Usually the 'wet period'  - nick named the 'European Monsoon' happens during June but this year it occured during May. Due to a number of factors, sea temperatures, under the sea water currents, the angle to the sun etc, a place called the 'doldrums' and so on, the same will probably occur again during June as going by the past, when it occured during May it also occured during June.

Going by what professional forecaster say, as opposed to the Met Office and the hype about climate change which is specualation as to it's cause, the drought won't happen this year.

I hope.

Cheers

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 11:45:46 pm »

Pj

you is wright ,i as bean drinkin

your right Ross i dont think it will happen, i think the water companies are just taking precautions just in case.

Dave

macc

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 12:01:52 am »
I was only asking Dave, sorry.  :'(

macc

JM123

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 12:13:30 am »
bit of an insult for the water companies to complain about drought after the wettest march, april and may for what.....100years or something. 
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 12:16:06 am »
macc

i apologise too , its the thing with forums sometimes its easy to read things the wrong way

Dave

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 12:17:01 am »
jm123

It is something to do with the wrong type of rain , honestly

Dave

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 08:56:47 am »
You are ok to use it for wfp as it is detremental? to your business and you are not classed as using it for non essential use to your business http://www.nfmwgc.com/documents/good_news_email.pdf

macc

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 03:56:03 pm »
macc

i apologise too , its the thing with forums sometimes its easy to read things the wrong way

Dave

No need to apologise Dave, just wanted to know your view. By understanding some one elses view can at times make me think mine is not quite right. Ive thick skin so no worries. Thanks Dave.  ;D

Macc

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 06:35:33 pm »
maac

Do i realy have to explain that

ok then

Big queue at end of street for drinking water.
Big shiney van turns up and squirts water every where.

Yes for me i would have to be hard faced to do it, i would just chill out and wait until restrictions were lifted, or just cleaned bottom windows

If you could carry on in that situation.

Good luck to you

Dave

I take your point David but i would rather p off a standpipe queue than p off my mortgage lender.  As I have no financial reserves, I would have no choice.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 11:42:13 pm »
Shiner

I doubt we will ever get to that stage, if we do it will be very short term and would only cover very small areas.

I think we are all worrying over nothing.

In my case i would just take a 6 week holiday out in the sun and hope it had all been sorted out by that time.

Dave

macc

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 12:35:53 am »
Im affraid im in the same boat as Shiner, no reserves.

Ive got mortgage & all the usual bills plus a maintenance payment to make that makes other mates of mine who also pay maintenance eyes pop out.

After we seperated i had nothing. I worked full time, got in from work had dinner in bed by 6, up at 8 to get ready for work. I went back to being a Doorman Tuesday Thursday Friday & Saturday for 2 years, in bed 3.30 up for work by 7am. It nearly finnished me off.

My point is the same for us all, i worked my bits off & i am not prepared to get back in debt again, not debt that is avoidable & there is no way i would put my home at risk. If water can be sourced for me to work, im sorry but im working.

Macc

Pro_Clean

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 02:36:17 pm »
Im affraid im in the same boat as Shiner, no reserves.

Ive got mortgage & all the usual bills plus a maintenance payment to make that makes other mates of mine who also pay maintenance eyes pop out.

After we seperated i had nothing. I worked full time, got in from work had dinner in bed by 6, up at 8 to get ready for work. I went back to being a Doorman Tuesday Thursday Friday & Saturday for 2 years, in bed 3.30 up for work by 7am. It nearly finnished me off.

My point is the same for us all, i worked my bits off & i am not prepared to get back in debt again, not debt that is avoidable & there is no way i would put my home at risk. If water can be sourced for me to work, im sorry but im working.

Macc

100% AGREE

sair

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 03:33:55 pm »
i agree with macc needs must , i have thought what people may think but i have a family mortgage and utility like every one else . people may be queening at standpipes but it may not have affected there income just there pride .

ill carry on cleaning wfp, with as much care as possible .
Essentially Pure Ltd

Paul Coleman

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 03:53:48 pm »
i agree with macc needs must , i have thought what people may think but i have a family mortgage and utility like every one else . people may be queening at standpipes but it may not have affected there income just there pride .

ill carry on cleaning wfp, with as much care as possible .

I'll be OK then as I don't cover the Brighton area  :)