The filters are in a RO-MAN housing which causes me a problem as the
  hoses are 1/4" and this needs to be connected to my DI Vessel which is
  3/4".

Are all filter housing's outlets 1/4", are there 3/4" outlets. If so does
  the in/outlet size effect the filters rate of absorbtion, ie:- the TDS level
  will be higher through a larger outlet.

If housing's are 1/4" then where can I get an inline bore adaptor to link
  it to my DI vessel.

Lastly does this mean it will take longer to fill my tank up, therefore the cost
  savings on my resin may be less than the cost of waiting for my tank to
  be filled.  ???

Hope I'm making sense  ??? ???

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

David Halford

Re: Carbon and Sedimentary Filter
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 09:20:09 pm »
Hi Doug

Sediment and Carbon filters are usually used to prolong the life of a R/O membrane. Running them with a Di system only, probably won't make much of a difference to your TDS reading

A sediment filter will only take out suspended particles i.e. sand and other visible particles you can see with the naked eye. This filter is used to avoid the R/O membrane from clogging up and as a result affecting its performance.

Because the sediment only takes out these suspended solids it will make very little difference if any to your TDS reading as the TDS reading measures the total dissolved solids in the water.

A carbon filter takes out very specific minerals from the water such as Chlorine and silica and a few others, which are harmful to the membrane of an R/O.

As for the port size it will not affect the TDS reading but will affect you fill times. If you still wanted to use these filters I would suggest you buy two 10inch filters and housing which normally come in either 1/2 inch or 3/4inch ports. They are not very expensive you will probably pay around £50-£60 for them both. Hope this helps.

David