mark dew

Re: How Long Have You Been a WC
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 10:51:16 pm »
Only been cleaning windows for just over 2 years. Trad for 2 years and into 3rd month wfp now.
Biggest change i've noticed?
Feeling healthy almost everyday.  :D

mark

brett walker

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 11:08:59 pm »
PJ
I remember Graham, he was quite a character. ;D What happened to him is he still window cleaning?

brett

macc

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 11:12:03 pm »
Cant believe it, just worked it out, coming up 18 years. i was a builder & had a small round i built up to gauentee my mortgage was paid. It just grew from there.

What i liked about it if i got stitched up wc it was only a few quid & if you dont mind grafting there is money to be made.

Cant be that bad, im still going, a lot of mine have been on the books over 10 years.  ;D

macc

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 11:25:14 pm »
PJ
I remember Graham, he was quite a character. ;D What happened to him is he still window cleaning?

brett
Apparently so, according to Tosh...

Graham was a good laugh. :D
Deadpan humour, but a helpful chap too.

Pj, is that true Graham wasn't his real name?

rosskesava

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 11:25:41 pm »
Graham Gould..... The one sentance giver of advice whether agreeable or not....

Who remembers "Graham (Gould)"?
He helped me step by step.  Good guy!  Graham was not his real name

I won't write anymore.  ::) Yup, he did help you didn't he. Great bloke.

Morph

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 11:32:58 pm »
PJ

brett
Yes he is.  But He has other strings to his bow.
Quote from: Squeaky Clean. link=topic=20643.msg154372#msg154372 date=1149200714

Pj, is that true Graham wasn't his real name?
[quote

Yes it's true. His real name was on here for a while.

Graham Gould..... The one sentance giver of advice whether agreeable or not....

Who remembers "Graham (Gould)"?
He helped me step by step. Good guy! Graham was not his real name

I won't write anymore. ::) Yup, he did help you didn't he. Great bloke.

What are you on, Ross?

abacus

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 11:50:29 pm »
Hi Ive been wc 9 years 4wfp

Started after 2 years off work ill my brother got me into hes now had to give up he has a swisted spine nothing to do with wc brought my round and it just grews ome customers have been on the books 19 years My bother did it on and off since he left school says he can remember when the scrim would stand up on thier own whe they where new and had to be boiled to break them in.
wfp dont you just love em!

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 12:13:20 am »
I started in May 98.

My Wife was asked at school of one of the other parents if she knew any window cleaners as she had been looking for weeks and could not find one.
It turns out she was the manageress of an holiday park with 134 units waiting to be cleaned, priced at £6.00 a unit plus the clubhouse at £150.

My wife told her "nah dont know any" after she told me of the conversation, i said give her a ring and tell her i could do it but i have never done it before.
So the wife phones her and she agrees i could start the next day, so off i went and bought a bucket and sponge (honest), started the next day and thought this aint right i need some different equipment, My mate told me his dad was a window cleaner so i asked him what do i need , he took me to the local diy and told me to buy an all in one plastic squeegie , which in did. I will tell the rest some other time.

Any way a week passed and i had cleaned every unit and had to wait for 3 months for the cheque to arrive and that was that.

about 3 months after that a local guy was selling a round for £500 and i knocked him down to £250 for £400 a months work.

6 months after that i bought another round for £3000 which was for £1400 worth of work per month, even at this big commitment i was still unsure of my skills with a squeegie but i got away with it, i have still got most of them customers.

Since that time i now employ 2 staff and have got 2 wfp and vans on the road.

Dave

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 12:21:13 am »
i started back in about 1981 (makes me sound old)

had a break doing other things for many years then returned

the biggest change that i have seen over the years are
H&S regs and wfp

went over to wfp about 15months ago (best move i've ever made) and can now see myself staying this way until i retire as things are looking up and getting better as each week goes by, i have now taken on my 17 yr old son who hopefully will take over if and when i retire.

Jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

rosskesava

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 12:48:02 am »
Just before I go to bed, this topic has come up before but with less information. It's intersting to know how others started.

Mine, as I wrote was by accident. It seemed a good idea at the time. One ladder, one worn out squeegie that left lines all over the glass and not having a clue how to clean windows and no forums like this one.

Maybe it needs a new topic 'how did you begin'. I would start it but after working all day and sorting out tomorrow's work and the accounts and wages, I'm done in sitting here with a can of beer and relaxing.

Interesting stuff. What is more interesting though is that reading through posts over time is that most w/c's really enjoy their work.

For me, 5 years and still happy.

trevor perry

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 02:31:13 pm »
i started in 1982 at the age 0f 15 but had helped my dad from much earllier i even went in a cradle at the age of 6 to push the buttons whilst my dad cleaned the windows i  can just see the health and safety officers face if you did that these days. 
     my dad has cleaned windows for 46 yrs now and at the age of 67 will still burn out most window cleaners on a days work.
     when i started it was common for us to use a 60ft ladder all day on your own no tying or people footing ladder, we also used to climb out on ledges alot then as people wouldnt pay for a cherry picker and this was easier than them big ladders.
     bigest change i have seen is health and safety laws  and wfp which i tried  8 yrs ago but found customers not happy with it  but due to said laws bought another system late last year and persevering with it. find it great on some jobs but lousy on others.
    p.s i just think health and safety does have its place and in all truth in the past i have took some silly risks just to clean windows but the new laws at the moment i feel have gone to far and as long as you know what your doing  ladders are safe so please leave us alone
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Paul Coleman

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 06:39:51 pm »
Started in 87. Basically it was all pretty much the same until WFP came along about 18 months ago. If it hadn't I would of got out of window cleaning all together. As far as I can see i ll be a WC until I retire or the new system. Mind you that could be a while.

I realise that most people won't have picked up on it Archy but this is not the place for debating of belief systems IMHO.  Or did you mean the successor of WFP when you said "new system"?  :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 06:43:40 pm »
Started in 87. Basically it was all pretty much the same until WFP came along about 18 months ago. If it hadn't I would of got out of window cleaning all together. As far as I can see i ll be a WC until I retire or the new system. Mind you that could be a while.

ive been wfp for 8 months wfp 11 yrs trad

archy what did you mean by the new system

gary

If he told ya, his god would have to kill ya  :)

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 06:47:09 pm »
Just over 3 years.  Still wet behind the ears!

ScrimShady

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 06:49:11 pm »
i have been doing it for 1 year 4 months
and been wfp for 2 months
love every minute of it

Paul Coleman

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 06:54:07 pm »
Nearly forgot to say how long as I got wrapped up in other stuff  :)
1991 here.  It was rather forced on me as there were no jobs back then.  I went away driving an advertising wagon one week per month (only work I had and built a window cleaning round around it.  By the time Superdrug decided not to advertise that way any more, I had half a window cleaning round so I just carried on from there.

sair

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 08:08:24 pm »
1986 started part time started wfp in late 90s , then in 2003 started to manufacture wfp
still working the windows although round to big for just me there are three vans now , possibly another two this year ,
Essentially Pure Ltd

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2006, 08:16:09 pm »
I have been WC for 21 years ever since I left school, went into it part time working for my Dad, he has been a WC for 27 years now and before that he was in the 'City' in banking.

We have been WFP for 5 years now.

Alex

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2006, 09:12:46 pm »
started cleaning windows in 1976 thats 30 years.clean windows partime now l

jeff1

Re: How Long Have You Been a WC (424 years so far)
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2006, 10:38:19 pm »
Hi Guy's

Just done a quike tot up, and out of the 34 replys for the length of service,

It works our that between 34 of us, we have a total of 443 years service.

as and when we get more reply's, I will do another tot up and post the Totals again.

Thank  you for all your replys so far.

Last edited 4 june