jeff1

How Long Have You Been a WC(452 years so far) New
« on: June 01, 2006, 07:59:34 pm »
Hi Guy's

Just Thought it would be nice to see how long, we have all been window cleaners?

It doesn't matter how long 1 day to 50 years let us know.
If its been a while tell us of the changes, if any, that you have witnessed.

Today is my business birthday 9 years today, (June 1st)over the years I have seen them come and seen them go, The once only wc, the beer brigade gang, the summer only guy, the wc who only does bungalows, the guy who's on the dole, The regular wc who packed up because he couldn't make enough money, I put this down to the fact that he wasn't all that regular? his customers comeing up to me saying they had not seen him for six months.
There is probably lots more that I have forgotten about, and no doubt you guy's will remind me.

So lets have your say on your time in the trade and any changes you have seen?

Don't just read this post, even if you reply only a week Let us know

S.A.J

Re: How Long Have You Been a WC
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:05:27 pm »
Im 22 and my business will have been going for 6 years this august.

Biggest change is not having to use a ladder day in day out. (a good change) 8)

Stuart

SAJ Window Cleaners Ltd

brett walker

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:09:19 pm »
Hi jeff

happy birthday, ive been going 15yrs and ive seen them come and go and some of them are still going

all the window cleaners that you have mentioned are the best window cleaners as we pick their work up when theyve gone  ;)

Brett.

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:12:30 pm »
Thanks Brett

And how right you are  ;D ;D we do pick up there work, thats why I didn't knock them. ;D

Archy136

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:27:35 pm »
Started in 87. Basically it was all pretty much the same until WFP came along about 18 months ago. If it hadn't I would of got out of window cleaning all together. As far as I can see i ll be a WC until I retire or the new system. Mind you that could be a while.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:32:10 pm »
Nearly 4 years working for Ian Giles (poor me ;D), and 5 years for myself.

So coming up to 9 years.

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:47:39 pm »
Only 2 years , 6 months trad and 18 wfp

Rich P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

brett walker

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:03:35 pm »
Its a bit like on this forum window cleaners post for a while and then you dont hear from them again ???

Brett

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:06:16 pm »
First started in 1987 working for someone else.
In 1989 i bought a round with a freind of mine and did that for about 2 years but we split the round and decided to go our own ways.
Then doing it part time for about 9 years full time job was a milkman.
Sold my part time round

Then went into commercial cleaning full time for 4 years but damaged my back and ended up in hospital under the knife off work for three years with back problems.
Then started back up just over 2 years ago and have not looked back.

There was no microfibre when first started 20 years ago and used a shammy and scrim in those days and only charging £3 to £3.50 for the average house it was 50p a window then
I would not dream of working for that now.

51p per window now ;D

Paul

Helen

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:30:54 pm »
4 years
And each year we say we're at the level we want to be but things move on another stage.

MNWC

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 09:36:03 pm »
4 years this year and i have to say that this year ive finally got my round how i want it and just on the verge of taking someone on  :o

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 09:47:49 pm »
About 9 years now ;D

Roy Harding

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 09:51:34 pm »
Started 21yrs ago and loved every minute.

I have seen customers children grow up get married and have kids of there own.

Also 1 job I have been doing has paid me over £50,000 in that time ;D

But it would be a lot harder to start now as there are a lot more window cleaners out there.

Roy

master cleaner

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 09:53:26 pm »
Started in 87. Basically it was all pretty much the same until WFP came along about 18 months ago. If it hadn't I would of got out of window cleaning all together. As far as I can see i ll be a WC until I retire or the new system. Mind you that could be a while.

ive been wfp for 8 months wfp 11 yrs trad

archy what did you mean by the new system

gary

dougster

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:04:23 pm »
ive been going 6 glorious years know, and each year gets better and better. Started wfp six months ago and hoping that eventually ladders will be banned for good

H h20

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 10:06:58 pm »
Hi Jeff,18 years for me and still loving it especially evolving,Gaz  ;)

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:07:34 pm »
5 years or maybe a bit longer and year using wfp sometimes.

It started out as me and a mate, being unemployed, needing to earn some extra pennies.

Our first 'job' was a couple of quid and it was like Laurel and Hardy with a bent up ladder, one squeegie and a bucket.

Now it's a proffessionaly run outfit with all the headaches that go with it but I love every minute of it. It's the best job I've ever done and the strange thing is that during those 5 years, the only illness I've had is one dose of flu. Before that when I worked on the railways it seemed like as soon as one cold went, another would start.

It's a great proffession and at 47 I think I'll be happily doing this till I retire.

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 10:40:49 pm »
There some great replys, and thanks, Some of you guys have had to start from scratch and build up your rounds over the years, and it makes interesting reading.

for me it was very different, I was very Lucky in becomeing a wc. one evening nine years ago there was a knock on my front door, and it was my neigbour who himself was a wc, and had been for six years with his wc partner of some twenty years. they asked to come in for a chat.  30 minutes later I was a wc with all the equipment, and a full round of three hundred customers.icluding commercials,

I gave up my full time job as a security engineer after 15 years ,and spent the next six weeks, going around with these two old guy's, who showed me how to clean windows, and introduced me to all the customers,and showing me how to do all the paper work.

After that six weeks I was on my own, well me and the boss (wifey) The two guy's in question were very well off, each owning two and three houses each, I hasten to add this was nothing to do with window cleaning.

and just to let you know they would not accept any money, for the round or equipment, and after several attempts to give them money, they were becoming quite offended by my attempts to pay them, they are both happily retired, and told me last night they knew I would stick to it, and not let it go down the pan,
how right they are, I have never looked back, and think its the best job in the world.
So now you can see why I say I was very lucky on becoming a wc. I now salute those two guy's

Morph

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 10:42:00 pm »
Well, we've done this before...but...

I have been self employed since 1982.  I am in my 27th year now!
I took up window cleaning as a stop gap November1987.  Still at it.
About 5 years ago my knees really started to pay me back for pushing 13 stone up a ladder all that time.  I had to just cut back on ladder work, it was becoming agony.
I was on pills, therapy and everything.  I kept going, because cleaning windows with difficulty, was better than alternatives that were offered me.
Just over 3 years ago, after a few busy days in march at 49 years old I had a heart attack!  Changed my life!  Off work for 4 months, deep depression followed.  Didn't think I'd get back to window cleaning.  Lost a lot of my round, sold some cheap, gave some away, let some go, managed to hang on to a bit, thanks to my family and a very good friend.
Persuaded by good friend to look in to wfp about a year ago, found this forum, started swatting up and got going wfp in October 2005.
New lease of life......

Who remembers "Graham (Gould)"?
He helped me step by step.  Good guy!  Graham was not his real name

jeff1

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 10:48:15 pm »
Well done Pj

it just goes to show, its in your blood now, and that even a fighter like you  can make a come back, even after a heart attack, you don't have to end up on the scrap heap.

WELL DONE Pj