MNWC

More water
« on: June 01, 2006, 02:57:11 pm »
Hi All
With more contract work coming in i need more water.
I have got a ro man 75 gals system at moment and have water butt holding tank. And trolley system, but the tank needs to be filled overnight.

If i was to get booster pump would any pump be ok or does it have to be ro man pump (i like doing things my own way)

Also where does it fit in system, if im thinking right does it go between di vessal and holding tank ???

Many thanks
Marcus

Tim Morton

Re: More water
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 04:14:51 pm »
Hi Marcus, I dont think you have to go for the Ro-Man booster pump, most booster pumps would do if they are rated correctly, ie, do they give the right flow-rate at the right pressure? ( too high a flow rate on the pump would either damage your RO membrane or damage your booster pump itself. Too high a pressure could also damage your RO membrane. Check the specs for your RO for flow rate and max psi, if you can get a pump to match, go for it.)

The booster pump goes after the prefilters and before the membrane. You can fit it before the prefilters but there's a greater chance of the prefilter housings springing a leak.

Another option would be to add a 2nd membrane to your Ro, that'd boost production, especially combined with a booster pump.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:39:46 am »
Tims right but before you do anything you need to check your input pressure. Ro-man do an in line gauge for about a tenner.
Once you know that the decision will become obvious. The thing is, you are not tied down to choosing one or the other method. You can fit a pump and an extra RO.

If your pressure is already low an extra RO is only going to be of limited use.It could actually reduce your water output in marginal condition because both ROs would be competeing for the pressure.

JM123

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 01:34:49 pm »
Add another membrane - £50
Add booster pump         - £75
Original cost of ro unit - £85
Total cost - £210 minimum

For an extra £90 you could have had a Merlin, produces way more water than you'll ever need and won't depend on a booster pump which has the potential to break down, plus you need to have it connected to the mains leccy.

This is why I always recommend merlin as opposed to the smaller units (Although my first ro was a 200gpd AQUAFX, was ok but far far far too sssllllllloooooooooooowwwwwww
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I