dazmond

wiring pump straight to battery
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:24:00 am »
ive never attempted this but if my controller keeps playing up im tempted to try it!

i use a pumpbox,shurflo pump,streamline digital controller,75 ah leisure battery.

i think we need someone on here to put up a video!wheres mark munro when you need him!! ;D

it cant be that difficult to sort!
price higher/work harder!

Window Lickers

Re: wiring pump straight to battery
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:26:49 am »
It isnt difficult. You dont need a video. Its two wires, less than a plug.
Just do it.

If you havent got anything on the terminals by which to fix the wires use a 20mm jubilee clip.

Use a fuse box inline on the positive wire, bought fom maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-in-line-blade-fuse-holder-ku34m?utm_content=Car%20Fuses&utm_medium=gcs_search&gclid=CPTm4_aLj70CFWLHtAodAEwAeA&c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_campaign=KU34M&
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

brad t

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:28:49 am »
Just run a live from the battery and earth it to the van, never have to plug a charger in again ;)

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:37:42 am »
How's the controller playing up?  Connecting straight to the battery is dead easy and really doesn't need a tutorial, it would be like having a tutorial on how to open a milk bottle.  The problem about not having a controller is that you then have to work at the max flow rate of the pump and depending on the pump it might be a bit fast.  I still think a motor speed controller is a worthwhile investment.

Simon.

Scrimble

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:40:17 am »
dazmond your obviously inept when it comes to anything more than a screw driver

seriously are you are asking how to connect 2 wires to a battery with 2 terminals? one which says + and the other which says -??

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:40:47 am »
Mine's wired to a permanent live in the ignition loom as I was struggling to get through to engine bay & earthed to van body next to pump box.

I recommend a High quality battery & a controller too. Controller will reduce power consumption as otherwise the pump will run flat out all the time. I recommend a Bosch silver 5 series battery when it comes to replacement. ;)

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:10 am »
Just run a live from the battery and earth it to the van, never have to plug a charger in again ;)
not so good if you don't do many miles in a day and work for long periods without moving the van.

Scrimble

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:38 am »
we will get another thread up soon titled "how do i jump start my van the battery is flat"

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 03:09:49 pm »
How's the controller playing up?  Connecting straight to the battery is dead easy and really doesn't need a tutorial, it would be like having a tutorial on how to open a milk bottle.  The problem about not having a controller is that you then have to work at the max flow rate of the pump and depending on the pump it might be a bit fast.  I still think a motor speed controller is a worthwhile investment.

Simon.

I would concur here what messages is the control displaying? From memory you have a pump box with the controller fitted. What are the issues you are experiencing.
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 04:16:46 pm »
For a few years after WFP first appeared there were no controllers.  We all used pumps connected directly to the battery with a fuse and a toggle on/off switch.  Flow was controlled by a simple by-pass between the inlet and outlet sides of the pump.  So the pump kept running after you unplugged the pole? It was only till you got back to the van and switched it off.

Simple and less to go wrong.  I've still got two of my lads using this method - never have any problems with it.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 04:27:35 pm »
Each person has their own preferred method which works for them.

Controls were initially introduced to overcome very high water use and the fact the pump became very hot with High inductive load burning out the pump pressure switch.

A controller also means less current is used as the pump is running more efficiently so the battery lasts longer as does the pump.
http://www.springltd.co/node/94
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Simon Mess

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 04:34:53 pm »
The problem with wiring your pump directly to your van battery, as has been mentioned, is that you will be running it flat out all the time, and therefore much more possibility of running the battery down to a point where you cant start!. I have my pump controller wired to my van battery, and have been using it like this for about 4 years now. Had to replace the van battery about a year ago as it was starting to get a bit tired, but other than that, no problems. I have a couple of streets where i am parked up about 3 hours, cleaning windows, but never any problems starting afterwards. My pump controller has not caused any problems either during that time, other than the dial breaking off (I can still use it fine like this though). It was from cleaning spot, i had ordered a digital one, but they were out of stock, so i got the analogue one instead.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:35 pm »
For a few years after WFP first appeared there were no controllers.  We all used pumps connected directly to the battery with a fuse and a toggle on/off switch.  Flow was controlled by a simple by-pass between the inlet and outlet sides of the pump.  So the pump kept running after you unplugged the pole? It was only till you got back to the van and switched it off.

Simple and less to go wrong.  I've still got two of my lads using this method - never have any problems with it.

The human race also used to live in caves & kill their own dinner!

I used to use a bypass system, does it work? yes, is it any good NO! I would never recommend using this method.

James Bulton

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »
You guy must have had a busy day and are all still asleep, he never said he wants to run his pump of the van battery.He has a separate battery.75 ah leisure battery.

Dave Willis

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 04:57:04 pm »
I wasted over £500 on leisure batteries over the years then I discovered they just weren't needed.

Daz, I'll bet your battery is pooped by now if you've had it a year.

brad t

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 05:20:04 pm »
Sorry Daz you didn't even ask about the van battery :-[

battery+>fuse>switch>pump
battery->pump
>= 16 amp wire

hope this makes sense to you. B

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:32 pm »
everything worked fine today!no problems whatsoever!maybe its the cold mornings!battery,pump and controller running nice and smooth! ;D

cheers guys
price higher/work harder!

Dave Willis

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 05:23:13 pm »
Won't last.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 07:13:09 pm »
p easy mate hook up the wiring to battery  and thats about it.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 08:26:47 pm »
You need a hot water system for these cold mornings Daz.  ;D