jo5hm4n

Employee Quatlity Control - Thoughts and Advice
« on: December 18, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »
Okay so i need some honest feedback from you lovely lot on here.

My first full time employee has been working with me for just over a year.  It's been a bit of a learning curve but overall i would say he is a good employee.  He works hard and long hours, never turns up late, has a good attitude and a great work ethic and is fully understanding of how i need to run my business and he is totally honest which above all else is very important to me.  There has been a few issues in the past where his technique was not up to standard, and he was occasionally missing simple things that can often make a difference, this was more in the early days the first 2-3 months of him working.  He has improved alot and as of July this year he has been going out in my main van by himself.

I was reluctant to send him out alone because i am a control freak and i was terrified that somehow he would crash the van or upset customers and do a bad job!  Generally speaking none of those things have happened and actually i am quite happy with the general arrangement we have going.

The problems though have started in the last 3-4 months.  We have had a total of 8 complaints.  Lost atleast 3 if not 4 customers out of those complaints, the others have generally been resolved.  My first problem is how do you validate complaints when you are no longer out doing the job?  I need to listen to what the customer has to say, and then find out from my employee whats happened.  Ive had complaints in the past personally which were not valid.  I.e customer complaining about quality, but it turned out there inside windows were dirty, or they had perished rubber seals around glass or window units where blown etc.

How can i validate complaints to the best of my ability before passing judgement that my employee has infact done a sub par job?

Some of these complaints where we lost the customer, i validated the complaints personally and could tell that the customer was extremely picky, however other complaints it was obvious that my employee had done a sub par job.  Most complaints where either, the odd window had runs or streaks (kitchen or living room most common) or the odd sill was missed and still had bits on it.

The problem i have is that 95% of my customers to the best of my ability are very happy with my employee.  I regularly get texts or phone calls praising my employee saying they think he does a great job.  Even today had several customers say how happy they always are with the service by my employee.

So the inconsistency is confusing me.   Alot of customers praising my employee whilst out of a customer base of around 500 customers we are averaging 2-3 complaints a month in last 3-4 months.

I told my employee that as he was working alone by himself he would naturally have to speed things up.  I need my employee to bring in around £250 a day in my eyes to make it worthwhile having him out in the van by himself.  I am wondering if some of these complaints are because he is slightly rushing around to make sure these targets are hit every day and because of this quality sometimes dips, and in most cases 90%+ of customers dont care as they are not extremely picky.  Its the picky ones who are complaining generally.

Now i am worried, if i tell my employee he needs to slow down a bit and be extra careful this will result in him doing about 20-25% less work per day.  Quality will increase but then he will only be doing £200 of work per day, as opposed to £250.

So one part of me is thinking right all that matters is that we are offering a service of perfection, but in doing so we will be doing alot less work per day, and another part of me is saying, i am running a business here i need to make money above all else or everything is pointless, if we have to sacrifice a small minor part of quality in order to make more money, there is a part of me that is okay with that.

I know a few windies that do £200 a day solo and do a perfect job, absolutely 100%.  However i know a few windies that are doing £300-£350 a day, and they are not perfect, they are a wee bit splash and dash, but 90% of customers dont even notice or seem to care.  I even know a guy who does £350 a day 4 days a week based in north wales where this is very hard to achieve all domestic.  He gets complaints atleast 4 or 5 a month.  But he does not care, because he brings in new customers faster than ones he loses, so he is happy to sacrifice quality in order to have more money from his business and provide for his family more.  Thoughts?

So what is the best way to be?  I can't decide.

As i am trying to grow my business though with employees i need to make sure there is some quality control, really could do with some advice.  I dont want to be getting a bad name from complaints ofcourse.

I haven't sat down with my employee yet and had a proper heart to heart as i dont know what the best way to resolve this is.  I want to sit down before christmas and sort this out, so we can have a clean start for January 2019 firm in our resolve.

throw your thoughts at me guys, i am especially interested from those who have employees who can understand what i am going through.

Thanks

P @ F

Re: Employee Quatlity Control - Thoughts and Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:43:34 pm »
You get 2 or 3 moans a month from 500 jobs , you need to chill mate especially as its not you doing it , just keep an eye on it and look to get 5 new jobs a month yourself .
When I had workers it was 2 or 3 calls a week , I had a problem not you !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

chris turner

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:44:13 pm »
I don't have any employees so I can't advise to much. However with over 10 years using wfp one thing is very clear,  you cannot clean every window the same.
This probably explains your employees inconsistency, the vast majority of windows on houses can be cleaned in the 'normal' wfp way.  There are also those that need a different technique due to problem openers, leaky rubber seals, degrading timber frames etc.
As an employee I'm not sure he would be willing, or even care to take note of which houses or windows need that bit of extra time to get right. Hence the complaints.

How you handle it is completely down to your own ethos.
Are you money driven or quality driven?
Finding that middle ground is very difficult and is the main reason I stopped my brief flirt into employing.

I don't think you will ever find the perfect employee to be honest, their heart won't be in it. Working out in the cold, wind and rain to make money for someone else isn't an ideal situation in anyone's mind, unless your earning megabucks.
As an employer I think you have to give him a little leeway and expect the odd complaint, it's just the way it is.
Perhaps a bonus scheme for completion of work and no complaints each month would go some way to making him more interested.

robbo333

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 05:52:52 pm »
He's never going to be 'perfect', no one is!
You just have to decide where you want to 'draw the line'.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

John Mart

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:55:17 pm »
What both the above have said is correct. As a one man band you know exactly what to do on every job to satisfy the customer. On houses there will be the odd window that runs.

I reckon each employee gets about a complaint a month. I just say no problem and send them back.

You can’t hold on to really picky customers with staff unless you’re dirt cheap.

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:01:52 pm »
I was way too picky when employing to be honest , it had to be done right every time .
I used to chuck dolly out the pram every night the second van came home with the hose not layered right !

It was never gonna work was it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

S.A.J

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 06:12:10 pm »
Some customers probably don’t like the fact it’s an employee cleaning their windows as they have been use to you and only want you to clean them so will complain about everything!

I had that a few years ago when staff started taking over my work.

Also we have noticed more unjustified complaints lately as an excuse to cancel

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 06:50:46 pm »
Some customers probably don’t like the fact it’s an employee cleaning their windows as they have been use to you and only want you to clean them so will complain about everything!

I had that a few years ago when staff started taking over my work.

Also we have noticed more unjustified complaints lately as an excuse to cancel
Yes but look at your staff Stu , bodgers of the highest order , I think I remember employing one of them  before he defected to the Dark Side  ;D ;D ;D

Joking aside though he was the best worker I had before you poached him ya snake  ;D ;D ;D

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 08:14:10 pm »
You can have him back!!  ;D
I couldnt afford him now mate , he's in with the Big Boys aint he  ;D ;D ;D ;D

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 08:16:51 pm »
You can send yer wife over if you like , I might have some work for her  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 08:34:19 pm »
Pretty much all good points made so far,

from my experience there are a number of customers that will create when they start getting an employee and NOT the boss, however over time this problem fades away as people realise the staff do a good job, and 6 years down the line many customers don't even know I used to clean windows and having a staff member is the NORM

Your concerns are valid, but hers one of the things that will make or break your venture into employing, and that's taking a step back - look at the bigger picture and decide what's important - it would be good to tighten up the complaints to say 1 per month - but even at 2 to 3 this is nothing percentage wise

unless it becomes a real problem where your looking at a weekly complaint - I wouldn't even go round validating the complaint - just send him back to re clean -  the proviso is( if you think it would work is ) after 3 complaints in any 4 week period he has to reclean on his own time ( unless he can prove there was an issue outside his control )

Basically the guy is going a great job - bringing you in turnover - your van gets seen more often and generates more work and hey ho he gets it wrong from time to time - who doesn't - he also gets lots of positives as well

DONT OVERTHINK THIS!

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

alank

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 08:41:26 pm »
Don't worry about only a few customer complaints you will sometimes get them just because they (the customer)are having a bad day ;D I wouldn't go overboard with you employee as it sounds like he's doing well and you need to know the substance and cause of these complaints before you discuss it. I would begin by logging all customer complaints as you receive them investigating the cause and look for trends if it's complaints all down to your employees cleaning then address it if it's just picky customers and your taking on enough new work I would not worry  too much about it. ;D

richard connett

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:14 pm »
I try to make my employee take ownership of his mistakes. So if I feel the complaint is justified he has to go back and reclean. I have asked him to apologies and deal with the complaint on occasions as well. Not being lazy but I think they’ve got to learn not to hide behind you. If they had lost the customer , I’d ask him to go out and get me another one!!  Probably makes me sound harsh but I think it’s fair and he gets lots of extra bonus’s when it’s anything over the normal working day
Three complaints a month isn’t so bad but I wouldn’t want any more

Splash & dash

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 09:07:31 pm »
Totaly agree with saj and Darran customers want the boss not the employee turning up I had similar situation , I explained to the customers I cannot do everything , I did dump a couple of customers as they complained every time ,I went round and had a look and asked the customer to show me the problem, only on one or two occasions was there a genuine problem , again this was down to the employees using the wrong technique for the type of window which has since been resolved . We all get things wrong and I also have had the occasional complaint , no employee is going to be as good as the company owner that’s just a fact of life . To try and improve speed and quality is it possible to offer him a bonus of some sort if there are no genuine complaints  the month ? Just a thought

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 09:24:49 pm »
Like you said your best option might be getting a higher turnover of new work coming in constantly and smashing through it at 95% rather than trying to do less and do it 100%

Striving for perfection with employees is futile. Guy who worked with me missed two windows last week and thats whilst i was doing the front ::)roll oh i didnt see that one, oh i cant reach that one.....

have you done that velux at the back ? which velux ?...... :-\

Employees will get complaints but you have to look at the big picture and factor in losing the odd custy in your business plan.

Dry Clean

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 10:32:18 pm »
One of the downsides of WFP is you could do everything right and still leave a run mark on a window, the difference is being my own boss I can spend a little more time faffing about to get a problem window right and if needs be decide its not worth the hassle and get rid of the job, an employee with targets to meet doesn't have that luxury.

cleaniac

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 10:37:48 pm »
I think its already been mentioned, but I will also say it.

You have to expect the quality to dip a bit if you employ.

You have to expect the customer who has been used to you doing the windows for 10 years and is looking forward to seeing you and giving you a bit of cake..(.ok..going too far...but you understand where i am coming from?) probably feels a bit dejected and will have a hawk eye on your employee...

You are changing your job, your no longer the window cleaner that ensures that the job is done and the customer pays. You are the boss that ensures expectations are met on both sides..and its not easy to do.

Leeds

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 06:32:24 am »
That and up your prices.

Our guys can do £300 a day at a steady pace, no need to rush and make mistakes.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 03:59:02 pm »
You get 2 or 3 moans a month from 500 jobs , you need to chill mate especially as its not you doing it , just keep an eye on it and look to get 5 new jobs a month yourself .
When I had workers it was 2 or 3 calls a week , I had a problem not you !

Wow this really puts my problem into perspective!  Glad it is not just me and it is realistic part of having employees!  For one i will make sure we are taking on atleast 5 new jobs every month without fail.