ormes21

Big hello to everyone!

I want to be realistic and honest with everyone so we hopefully get a direct honest response back from experienced people like yourselves.

There are two of us thinking of starting  up a cleaning business. Im looking at it from an entrepreneur type view and can imagine (i know its easy to imagine!!) earning alot of money from making a cleaning agency. I myself have no experience what so ever within the cleaning industry, I just read alot of books about business/investing and waiting for a good business opportunity.

My cousin who would be working along side myself currently works for a office company where he handles transactions of some cleaning contracts and is familiar with all the documents needed. This was his idea after realising they were charging £24 p/h for 9 month contracts.

We are young 22/23. I know we will be working by ourselves to begin but hope to quickly take on two people and gradually build contracts and take it on from there. At the moment I would think to aim at office cleaning simply for the fact I think we could get longer contracts and could charge more than domestic cleaning.

What I would like to ask everyone reading this....

1) Have you started a cleaning agency?

2) How long did it take to get reliable cleaners?

3) How many people have you taken on?

4) Do you use your own equipment? (I hear of offices that supply their own equipment!)

5) How many years was it until you made reasonable profit?

6) Have you made bucketloads out of cleaning i.e 100k+ after five-ten year input?

I know this is cheeky and direct but I would like to get some feedback on what we are about to embark on and how realistic our thinking is.

I know almost everyone reading this will probably be banging their head against a computer screen thinking WAKE UP or ITS NOT EASY. So please tell us why, I would like to take your advice on board.

BTW our budget atm is roughly about £1000 lol so guess we would require financial backing from somewhere aswell.

Thanks so much in advance, your advice could shape our future!!

Andy

If I could I would quote every page of "how to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie - cant stress how important I think that book is for business and social life!!

ormes21

Re: *NEW* here! Require some honest and experienced input!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:39:08 pm »
Anyone  ???

I asked exactly the same question on a normal business forum and have had 10 replies within 24 hours, two from cleaning agencies!! Im no way knocking the people on here, I just find it confusing how on a wide business forum I get more of a response from cleaners than from a forum where all the users are cleaners!!

Andy
If I could I would quote every page of "how to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie - cant stress how important I think that book is for business and social life!!

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 12:18:52 am »
Go and work for a Cleaning Agency as Recruitment Consultant. That way you get paid to learn the ropes. Save your money and later down the line you have the cash, knowledge and contacts.

dianegreenwood

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 01:45:36 pm »
Hi Andy

Email me through my website, I'd be happy to help you although our focus is mostly on domestic clients but I can share some info re office cleaning if you'd like it (so long as you're not in my immediate area). 

We are not a cleaning agency however, we are a cleaning business that fully employs its team members.  It's not clear from your post that you understand the distinction.  If you specifically want info on agencies I can't help I'm afraid.

By the way, most people here are less likely to answer in depth posts if there isn't much info on your profile.

Cheers & good luck to you both

Diane

www.freshlymaid.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:28:19 pm »
This a forum where people mostly post for fun and to exchange info.Your list of questions is a bit like a school exam, so why would any of us want to take the time to answer it.

Buy a molly maid franchise with a bank loan.

The reason you got ten biz replies is that they are all on there looking to flog stuff or network with each other.

vacman

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:00:09 am »
You'll need staff to make you the money, and if you want half a chance of keeping the staff you should at least have been hands-on, even if you are no longer doing the work yourself. You won't get a thank-you if you pull up a member of staff about something-or-other if it is that you have never done the job yourself. Cleaning is hard, dirty work, and is historically poorly paid. Years ago it was poorly paid because it was considered a menial job, nowadays its poorly paid because by the time we as the business owner have paid all our costs and taken our tiny slice, there isnt much left to pay the staff.

Cleaning agencies can work, but then it is very easy for anyone to go out and find cleaning work. The security and insurances offered to the client from an agency may not always be seen as value for money, rather there is a risk that the client will eventually question what their agency fee covers. At least if they use a company like Ms Greenwoods (above) then they are getting staff who are totally employed by the company who they are paying and who are bringing the mops and the brooms with them.

Relistically you have to really love or at least like cleaning if it is going to work.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 08:21:57 pm »
You want honesty.... I just can't be bothered reading stupendously long posts..... Is that honest enough? The only advice I would give is, don't do cleaning cos you think it's easy money.... It isn't!

Good luck, kind regards, Colin....

APPLEMAIDCLEANING

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:37:21 pm »
I also run a Cleaning Agency / Recruitment Agency

Do you mean start up a Cleaning Recruitment Agency or do you mean cleaning business?

If it is recruitment agency you are talking about, then you need to follow rules and regulations before you set up.

Also need T&C'S, standard rates, any insurance, client and candidate regulations - applications, CRB, References.

Now insurance will be, professional indemnity insurance which will protect you against claims for negligence in the delivery and performance of the services you offer and defence cost.

Then you will need to be aware of the employment agencies act 1973
conduct act 2003............................

I could go on and on but me water will evaporate!!!  ;D

APPLEMAIDCLEANING

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:48:50 pm »
Mrs pulled the plug out anyway!!! 8)

But if it is a cleaning business and you are looking at office / commercial cleaning then it takes time to build up a stable business that is worth something!

Do not go in thinking your going to be rich this time next year, but yes if you are serious to give it a goooooooooood go not thinking about £££££££££££ its not just about about that, it is the service and feed back that helps you on your way to £££££ and an established business.

Go for business contracts, not domestic as you do not have contracts and they can get rid of you any time, so target busineses but do not turn away domestic cleans as this 9/10 is cash so will help with cash flow. nooo not beer money... i said cleaning products etc etc.

martin19842

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 01:19:57 pm »
hi there

a lot of people come on top here take advice, and go on their way, some succeed but obviously some fail.

there are a number of key points,

1. people get confused about what they want to earn,/ profit.
earnings ie your wages/salary are taken from the business, what you then make after that is your profit, if you wish to just earn xxxxx amount of money, then thats fine, however you must be aware that profit provides the lifeblood to expand, pay for more sdvertising , funding the setting up of staff, materials, vehicles etc.

2. decide what business sector you want to target, ie domestic, or commercial, or high level, or insurance work, or window cleaning,, as an example, then target and concentrate your initial efforts on that market sector,  dont spread yourself to thin to fast.

3. be realistic its hard work, on day one, and most likely on day 365,

4. winning business takes time, and you have to do a lot of sales activity to get the pipeline to win work, so phone calls, letters, emails, leaflets. be strict with your time, a set amount of time for sales ativity and a set amount of time to carry out the work.

if your determined it can be done, but donrt think it ias an easy ride.

regards

martin

andy1111

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 04:28:41 am »
Hey Buddy!

First of all, it sound like you have common sense.
Second of all, you sound positive about what you want to do.
Thirdly, no one is giving you the time of day to give a good response... Why? (why don't they want to help)

Just a little advice, due to yourself (both being young) people tend to try and use you, squash you and push you backwards and forwards. Please take your time when you make deals with business's or business people.... Try and be a bit hard nosed and stand up for what you really would like for your self....

-Don't let anyone diminish your actions/thoughts/motivation....
-Listen to advice, but don't take all of it...
-Watch other peoples mistakes and don't make the same one's

I am 27 years of age (also young) and have a cleaning business in 3 country's and a tourism business in 6 country's. If you wish to ask direct questions, please do so...

Good Luck!

letzclean

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 03:47:11 pm »

Hi Guys,

I have experienced the same thing as you regarding getting answers to questions but don't be put off there are lots of very helpful people who will give you advice and at times there time.

I will give you a few pointers as I set up a cleaning company three years ago while I was working in the Civil Service at first I was doing it as well as my full time  job and I done it alone. You are lucky you have a partner. There is good money to be made but if you are not willing to work very hard you will find it very difficult to take off. Firstly there are lots of cost involved in setting up and marketing the company, website, equipment, materials, transport, wages, insurance, membership to various bodies NCCA, BICSc etc. You said you have some contacts so you may get a break and move on from there. You have to get staff that you can rely on and do the job properly. Start up cost are high buying leaflets geting them delivered when you are not making money can be hard on your pocket you can 50k leaflets for £400 but it cost around £20 per 1k for delivery, or you can deliver them your self like I do? Sending out letters to potential clients is expensive as well, you will have to have face to face meetings to sell your companies service and you will be competing against companies that know the business well. I could go on but I will leve it there and answer your questions

2) How long did it take to get reliable cleaners?
Itcan be easy to find cleaners but if you do not have work they will find work else where

3) How many people have you taken on?
I have a12 staff at the moment more on stand by if needed

4) Do you use your own equipment? (I hear of offices that supply their own equipment!) Offices sometimes supply there own equipment

5) How many years was it until you made reasonable profit?
It depends how hard you work if you have a job it will be hard especially int the beginning you need to put in 100%

6) Have you made bucketloads out of cleaning i.e 100k+ after five-ten year input?same answer as above.

Thursdasy I worked 16 hours yesterday I worked from 3am to 9pm made £350 profit but you have to get your hands dirty sometimes
www.cleenco.co.uk

I know this is cheeky and direct but I would like to get some feedback on what we are about to embark on and how realistic our thinking is.

I know almost everyone reading this will probably be banging their head against a computer screen thinking WAKE UP or ITS NOT EASY. So please tell us why, I would like to take your advice on board.

BTW our budget atm is roughly about £1000 lol so guess we would require financial backing from somewhere aswell.

Thanks so much in advance, your advice could shape our future!!

Andy

"A pessimist see's the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist see's the opportunity in every difficulty."

Alliance6

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 04:17:35 pm »
Hi Andy

How are you getting on with your business start up?

Daniel Bishop
Alliance Cleaning Ltd

chores hygiene management ltd

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 02:13:50 pm »
hi
going back to the original post, it states contract cleaning was generating £24 ph for 9 month tie-ins, contract cleaning is not my primary game but im involved in it and i honestly cant bring any company or agency to mind that can demand 24 ph for cleaning only, does anyone else know of this ?
Chores Hygiene Management Ltd
Cleaners Lincoln • Pest Control Lincoln • Window Cleaners Lincoln
T. 0800 4488 353
F. 01522 542 775
E. info@choreshygiene.com
W. www.choreshygiene.com

Nick Head

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 06:15:27 pm »
Hi

All the above is great advice - however if you need any help please feel free to email me (see my profile for my address)

Nick
Nicholas Head
Cleaning Intelligence

suds window service

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:22 pm »
Diane hope you don't mind just emailed you for some advice.you,ll usually find me on the w/c section, but recently added maid service to our services

sbcleaningservices

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 06:55:13 pm »
Hope you can help me
I am sarah from Sheffield and recently started a cleaning busness. I have been asked to quote a 3 storey office of 6000sq foot building for deep clean but have not a clue how to best do it. Does anyone have any information for urgently please?

suds window service

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 08:08:16 pm »
Hope you can help me
I am sarah from Sheffield and recently started a cleaning busness. I have been asked to quote a 3 storey office of 6000sq foot building for deep clean but have not a clue how to best do it. Does anyone have any information for urgently please?
hi sarah if they need the windows cleaned ins and outs we can help you out.
                                regards david.
                                      www.sudswindowcleaning.co.uk

sbcleaningservices

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »
Hi Suds
I will remember you if successful!
Sarah