lizj

15 yr old cleaners/helpers??
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:49 pm »
I have asked before about the age of cleaners and the web site was great but I'm not sure what ... say a 15yr old is allowed to do. I have holiday let cleans and i have quite a few offers from 15yr olds who want to work . Am I right in thinking that 15yr olds are not allowed to do loos or kitchens?? ALso waht does every one think is a good rate for a 15 yrs old?? Cleaning is hard work after all

Denise l

Re: 15 yr old cleaners/helpers??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:50:37 pm »
Minimum age is 16yrs

lizj

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 03:55:03 pm »
thanksx

Rick Ward

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:46:24 am »
Back your assertion based on what Denise. You can allow under 16s' to carry out certain tasks commercially

Denise l

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:41:13 am »
Try ringing your insurance company and see what they have to say! What about your H&S training for them? You have a duty to protect them.

Rick Ward

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:33 am »
Read up on Business Link employing young people, it explains the legal side. The judgement for what is a dangerous work activity is reasonably subjective but given instruction, then if cleaning toilets/bathrooms are still considered too dangerous to clean for them, then they must be different types to the ones I go in. People get confused with regulations- misinterpreting the idea behind them.
Personally I would not employ a 15 yr old cos they tend to be sh!te cleaners, but of course there are exceptions to my sweeping generalisations. 

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:54:38 am »
I started cleaning at 14 for my dad and uncle and if given training and supervision they can do the job to required standard.
Spit and polish

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 07:00:03 am »
I started cleaning at 14 for my dad and uncle and if given training and supervision they can do the job to required standard.

Same. I was 12 tho!!! £1/ hr.

DavidStainberg

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:34:44 pm »
Minimum 16 but i think that it is a bit late. These days kids grow like mushrooms :)

steve scotter

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:39:07 am »

If you want to employe a young person you will be opening a large can of worms.

Young people aren't always good at assessing risks, because they may not be experienced as an adult.

Under Health and Safety Law if you wish to employ a young person you must train them in H&S and be able to prove they have recieved training, you have to carry out specalist Risk Assessments for young people.

Young people carrying out a work task will need to be competent in that task.

Be very serious about your statutory duties in Law when considering employing a young person.

hope this helps.

Steve
Steve Scotter Tech IOSH
IOSH Registered Health and Safety Technical Practitioner
www. mould-detectives.co.uk
www. extreme cleaners training.co.uk