steeley

HOT WATER SYSTEM.
« on: March 26, 2013, 07:55:01 am »
after peoples opinion, how safe is an l5 type gas water heater mounted in the van to heat up the water, and also carrying a gas bottle is this safe in the van? Would it blow up, if you had an accident?
This set up can be done for £150, whereas a professionally fitted gas system costs £4000 +   

Can anyone tell me what they think and maybe what they use and do they feel safe etc.

dazmond

Re: HOT WATER SYSTEM.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:00:16 am »
none of us are safe whether driving on the road or climbing ladders.

my advice is stay indoors and lets hope you dont scald yourself when making your 14 cup of coffee and worrying how you gonna pay the bills looking out at the artic spring!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

steeley

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:04:38 am »
Yes arctic spring indeed im quite behind in work at the moment but still carrying on in this bitter weather it is getting on my nerves dazmond as it is yours i suppose i just keep thinking the sun will come out tomorrow bet your ............................. you can finish the song off any advice on hot wfp systems?

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:08:15 am »
Again there is to negative talk about the subject. Ask yourself have you heard of anyone that was blown with a gas bottle in a van the same applies with self fitted water  tanks. I realy dont care. I know I have fitted it properly.Don`t use dodgy old gas fittings and all will be well and dont be dumb and put the gas bottle at the back door or on the passenger seat.Use your  head don`t listen to negative talk as so many use these heaters without a problem.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:19:22 am »
sorry steeley i dont have any advice on hot water systems as i dont use one.a cold water system is fine down to -2.any lower and i wouldnt want to work with wfp anyway.

weather not been too bad here in manchester.friday and sat last week were a write off but apart from that im only a day or two behind with work.

lots of guys on here use the cheap hot water systems with lpg gas with no problems.just make sure fittings are tight and secured properly.

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

steeley

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:38:43 am »
yeah i have been using cold for years trolleys and tank system just fancy the quicker cleaning times when it comes to a very baked on bird mess or filthy conservatory roof, probably wouldnt use it all the time if i had one.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:41 am »
Dont buy an L5 thats for sure

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:40:01 pm »
Alex please,could you give some feed back on the l 5 as this could help the chat asking the question.

R.C Property

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:42:06 pm »
Ive been using a L5 for the last 5 months, not a problem with it so far, installed everything myself, upgraded pipes to house grade 15mm push fit and no leaks or anything yet, only thing i had at the start was a few leaks on the hose reel due to warm water making the pipe soft, few little leaks then, but once they was sorted its been great!
easy to fit, easy to use,

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 05:08:18 pm »
Hi Steeley

It is worth considering the safety aspect of a gas system DIY of fitted.  You can get professionally fitted systems for a lot less that £4000, there is a guy in my area called Craig that does it for a lot less.  £4000 will get you a diesel system but then your running costs will be a lot higher and some on here are finding that their diesel systems are failing within 2 years.

To make a Gas (LPG) system as safe as possible, do the following.

1. Turn the gas off whilst driving
2. Have a metal gas hose instead of rubber (not absolutely needed but helps)
3. Have a vent hole in the floor in case the bottle leaks, this way you won't get a build up of gas in the van
4. Keep van well vented when using the boilers or install roof vents

I'm sure other gas users will add other points.  I have the L5 units, however although they work I'd recommend looking for other makes as they aren't perfect, Nat Jones is probably the best person to ask on here for boiler choice.

Simon.

R.C Property

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:16:49 pm »
Metal gas hose?
a rubbe hose is better in the van due to movement while driving, have to change gas bottle etc.

metal ones are ok if you have the type of gas bottle that you fill up at the petrol station, no good if you have to keep taking off the gas bottle to change it.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:36:49 pm »
The type of boiler used by window cleaner are made for camping and do not need a gas engineer as they are so simple to together .It a water hose in and a hot hose out to your pole and a flexible hose from gas bottle to boiler. They  are not anywhere near a boiler in your home.They are not pressurised like a Combi water heater.
          I can just see me going on holiday camping have to take my local gas safe gas engineer with so I can catch a shower.
    I think one of the mistake many make is its not really boiling but just a hottish water.

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 06:40:31 pm »
Had diesel system over 4 years with no problems, and very efficient.

No exchanging bottles or worries with leaks and fumes.

Steve

steeley

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:10:02 pm »
thanks everyone for your responses still a bit of a minefield but think i will go for the heater that reach2clean sell as it looks better than the l5 and it is ce approved, going to try and mount it on the back door.

What i really need is a solar panel on the roof of the van that heats the water up!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:10:40 pm »
The are no or very little fume from a gas boiler. My system exit comes out at my face height and I aften stick my face on cold days and never smell fumes at all, just hot air.This I have done for a few minutes.

R.C Property

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 09:28:16 pm »
thanks everyone for your responses still a bit of a minefield but think i will go for the heater that reach2clean sell as it looks better than the l5 and it is ce approved, going to try and mount it on the back door.

What i really need is a solar panel on the roof of the van that heats the water up!!!!!!!!!!!!

the ones that reach2clean use are the same model as the cheap ones you get on ebay for half the price,
nearly twice the size of the L5.

R.C Property

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 09:31:25 pm »
The are no or very little fume from a gas boiler. My system exit comes out at my face height and I aften stick my face on cold days and never smell fumes at all, just hot air.This I have done for a few minutes.

every gas boiler gives off fumes, as the gas burns it gives off carbon monoxide,

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air.