jeff1

How to Install a Tank Cage (with pics)
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:43:14 pm »
This is the correct way to install a tank cage for optimum safety.
these are the bits you'll need?
1. The correct size bolts for your type of cage, Here I have 4x150x12 high tensile steel bolts star washers and self locking nuts.
2. Steel plates for under the van fitted against the chassis.
3. Steel tubing for inside the chassis, this stops the floor from de-forming.

The Tools needed are simple
Drill bit for the size bolts your using a cone drill cutter for enlarging the hole for the tube.(you don't need the tape measure shown)
Ring Spanner and socket to fit your nuts & bolts.

Start by marking all the holes for your tank or better still, drill through the holes of the tank brackets to ensure there in the right position, using the drill bit for your size bolts, drill through the floor and continue through until you have drilled through the chassis, you may have to fiddle about a bit unless you have a longer drill bit.
Once you have drilled the hole, you now have to enlarge it using a cone cutter (see pics) begin to enlarge the hole and keep testing until your tube passes through the enlarged hole, (see pic)

Continue this method for all your bolts, when your done, drop in all the tubes into there holes, fit the cage so all the holes line up with all the holes on your cage, drop in all the bolts so they pass through and exit the chassis.
If your working on your own? stick a heavy weight  on top of the bolt head to make it easier when your underneath, but if you can get someone to give you a hand.

Working underneath the van add the steel plate, star washer and nut (see pic)

beging to tighten by hand until its finger tight, using your ratchet inside the van and the ring spanner on the nut begin to tighten by tightening the bolt only and holding the nut still, this will pull the star washer into the steel plate and create small dimples to help keep it tight, if you tighten the nut the star washer will create a groove and the nut can come undone.
Continue until all the nuts and bolts are fitted and the cage is installed, Make sure everything is nice and tight.

Once the installation is complete, paint the steel plate underneath with some metal paint.
[underneath]

LWC

Re: How to Install a Tank Cage (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 09:51:24 pm »
this is what mine looks like underneath :D

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 09:54:04 pm »
this is what mine looks like underneath :D
Glad to hear that but do you have the tubes fitted??

LWC

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:05:36 pm »
no  :-X

explain

dave0123

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:11:47 pm »
Great post jeff... looks good your tank seen the pics of it in your van

dave
Dave.

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 10:30:01 pm »
no  :-X

explain
I explained a little about them in my post, there there to add strength to the install, if your fitting a cage or a tow bar and the bolts have to travel through the body work a tube must be fitted to stop distortion during the install.

Great post jeff... looks good your tank seen the pics of it in your van

dave
Thanks Dave
Took a little time but I got there in the end

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 10:39:52 pm »
FAO: Jeff,

Nice to see someone who knows how to fit the bolts properly. Same applies when fitting built in ramps. :) Jeff's way fills in the gap between the chassis, the proper way to do it. :)

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 10:59:09 pm »
Thanks Wayne
Its nice to know someone else knows how to fit them correctly, the same principle also apply's to fitting Tow bars.

I would love to take a few professional systems apart to see if the correct procedure has been followed.

LWC

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:01:06 pm »
is the tubing sltighly longer? or same as the space they are in?

matt

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 11:02:11 pm »
jeff

you could have painted around the hole aswell ;)

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 11:05:58 pm »
Jeff,

Give you a tip, quickest way to remove a lot of nylon, locking nuts with a spanner/ratchet with socket is to burn the nylon off with a Oxy/accetylene or other heat source first, but it renders the nylon locking useless afterwards. Good info for thieves. I use to open up safes in the army everytime some Rodney (officer) messed up big style. :)

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:47 pm »
jeff

you could have painted around the hole aswell ;)
How do you know I didn't Matt  :P

is the tubing sltighly longer? or same as the space they are in?

The tube has to sit on the chassis and be around 1mm below the top level of the floor, the floor metal is only a couple of mm thick.

Jeff,

Give you a tip, quickest way to remove a lot of nylon, locking nuts with a spanner/ratchet with socket is to burn the nylon off with a Oxy/accetylene or other heat source first, but it renders the nylon locking useless afterwards. Good info for thieves. I use to open up safes in the army everytime some Rodney (officer) messed up big style. :)

Been there and done that Wayne  ;D  I used to open safes for a living, not as a thief I might add Lol but as a security engineer, I used to pick my locks and still have the nack and skill, 'O' and the picks Lol

Your only supposed to use nylon locking nuts once anyway if you wish it to preform the same roll.

Bazzy1999

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:21:05 pm »
Jeff,

You ever made an Oxy/Accetylene bomb.... if not try it its great fun...  ;D

Bazz...

Roger Slater

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 11:21:52 pm »

Well you have done a mighty fine job of securing that tank and probably coudnt do anymore.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:23:31 pm »
jeff 1 your a star .
where theres muck theres money

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:24:07 pm »
If I ever pack in window cleaning I would love to learn to be a locksmith as it intrigues me. Shouldn't have any problems learning it as I'm a qualified metalsmith. Locksmith has to be the easiest way of making money that I know of in the minimal of time as well.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 11:26:37 pm »
Jeff,

You ever made an Oxy/Accetylene bomb.... if not try it its great fun...  ;D

Bazz...

Tried it Bazz, great fun using coke cans and similar and watching them shoot up to the ceiling  ;D

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 11:32:42 pm »
Good one for you Bazz that I use to do with tradesmen with metal toolboxes/storage boxes. When they go on holiday, drill a hole in their padlocked tool box, braze a grease nipple on and attach a grease gun and fill up their tool box with grease. When they come back off their hols and open their tool boxes they have a big shock whilst you're crying with laughter at their facial disbelief. Takes hours to get rid of the grease from their tools ;D

jeff1

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 11:46:11 pm »

Well you have done a mighty fine job of securing that tank and probably coudnt do anymore.
Only by adding more bolts lol

jeff 1 your a star .
Glad I could help Dave  ;)

If I ever pack in window cleaning I would love to learn to be a locksmith as it intrigues me. Shouldn't have any problems learning it as I'm a qualified metalsmith. Locksmith has to be the easiest way of making money that I know of in the minimal of time as well.
You can go for your MLA, When I went for mine I was tested by an ex-safe breaker, He would get into business's by picking the locks of all the doors, then pick the locks to the safes, he would lock everything back up on his way out, it took the police years to catch him because it always looked like an inside Job.

His down fall was he was caught by a passing patrol car as he was locking the final door of his last Job, he got 4 years and while he was inside the talked him into training professional locksmiths.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 10:02:34 am »
Fantastic Jeff, thank you SO much for this, this is great.

Btw, I can't get my head around the steel tubes, from the picture, it looks like it's solid, but if it's solid the bolt can't go through can it? So it must be hollow?