Dave mann

Getting insured for a small cradle ???
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:40:27 pm »
Quoting a job that has a small internal cradle that they want me to do, Just had a qoute  for £10,000 a year for Public/L from my insurer, my current is £500 a year, is this hike to be expected ??
Do i need a new broker ?
The problem  is they only want it done twice a year.

Can i not get insured when the job needs doing ??

Help 

KJG

Re: Getting insured for a small cradle ???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 01:28:26 am »

£10,000 :o ???

Are you solo or a 'proper' company with employees etc? Has this job told you that you need 'special' insurance to operate this small indoor cradle? If not, I wouldn't say anything and carry on with the insurance you've got. Also, if you are solo, you're being done on your PLI. You can get it for as little as £70 a year.

Trevor Knight

Re: Getting insured for a small cradle ???
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 08:37:04 am »
Firstly, always ask your insurnace company regarding ANY change of your working situation. If you don't say anything and are unfortunate and have an accident you could find yourself in serious HOT WATER!!!

Ok, if the company has asked you to use this equipment you need the following:

1) Copy of their insurance regarding the equipment and that a Sub Contractor can use it.
2) A copy of the test certificate to ensure it is in good working order.
3) Health and Safety requirements
4) Risk assesment

If they cannot provide this information then contact your insurance company. Give them the date and times you will be using the machinery and ask for them to cover you for this particular job, it will be considerably less than £10,000 !

Yes, some people may think this is a lot of hassle, however, remember, if you are up in the air and things go wrong you need to ensure you cave complied with everything.

I worked on a site last year, a sub contract builder borrowed a cherry picker that a painter had hired on site. He lost control, the boom arm swung round and he hit the corner of a Glass Apex and caused £1000's upon £1000's worth of damage. The main building company sued him and his insurance didn't cover him to use such equipment, he went bankrupt over the cost involved!! I know this because I work closely with the main building contractor and they now have very strict policies we all have to adhere to!

Just be warned !

Regards, Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire