Bonzer

Question about tank fixing in a Transit
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:07:04 pm »
I've just bought a Ford Transit and notice that inside the load area toward the front, there are 4 fixing 'hoops' bolted to the floor. Are these sufficient for strapping a tank to?

Chris A

Re: Question about tank fixing in a Transit
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:10:01 pm »
no

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:18:32 pm »
Hi

I would err on the side of caution and secure it with proper straps. You cannot afford to take the chance.  A 650 litre tank weighs about 650kgs +. In an accident I wouldn't like to then find out that those securing eyes weren't man enough for the job. Remember, the tank is usually situated very close to the back of your seat.

I would strap them down properly though the floor with decent flat plates underneath to ensure that any stress is distributed.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:52:30 pm »
hi i've just had my tank fitted by a local garage its a 650ltr with metal straps that wrap round tank and bolt through floor also i moved the bulkhead in my van to be directly in front of tank as an additional safety measure as i can't have a fixed bulkhead directly behind front seats as the engine is under them which is a pain but its lovely and warm in the winter! ;D