ScrimShady

Speed Lining
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:59:29 am »
does anyone know what the stuff is called that they use for speed liners?
no-one near me has ever heard of it.
Thanks
Scrim

Trevor Knight

Re: Speed Lining
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:03:30 pm »
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

gsw

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 04:10:25 pm »
try protectakote if not, no complaints here and miles cheaper.

http://www.protectakote.co.uk/

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 04:29:31 pm »
Yep! can't fault protectakote.   ;D

JM123

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 06:30:15 pm »
Protectacote def better value for money, as long as you apply it as it suggests on the tin then it will protect your van as well as speedlining ever will.  Has a nice fumey smell to it for the first couple of days so expect to drive like you're on drugs for a while.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

matt

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 08:24:33 pm »
ive only read good things about protectakote

seems to save you ALOT of money and do the same job

Bonzer

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 09:45:02 pm »
2 Questions regarding this;

Can you coat this into a ply-lined floor and walls?

How much Protectakote would I need for a swb Transit?

JM123

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 09:51:24 pm »
Hi bonzer, I've done 2 renault traffic vans recently, I used 4 ltrs on each but that was 3 good coats - it isn't as effective when applied to ply so what you need to do is lift the ply from the floor and paint underneath it then put the ply back.  The walls of the van don't need coated but if you feel you want to protect them further then probably the best thing to do is to apply 2 coats of yacht varnish (seems silly but trust me it works) other than that ply on its own is usually fine as its usually treated wood used in ply.

If you really do feel up to it and fancy protectacoting the walls as well you're looking at another 3/4litres. 

Check out www.surecleansystems.com for protectacote.

Ballymena N.I

Paul Forster

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 10:43:37 pm »
i did the  transit i use for my pressure cleaning and pestcontrol business with protektakote and aplied  3 coats onto the ply, once degreased.

No complaints at all, copes well with petrol spills and machines runing in and out. Only one tear  from a pikaxe geting thrown down and this was easy to re-coat.

if you do it in the winter then worth buying a couple of sachets of rapid hardener direct from the protektakote website, otherwise the stuff takes forever to go tacky if the temp is low.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 10:44:45 pm »
Hi i painted my van with protectakote. the van floor was plylined i found the water got under the floor and was rotting wood and my van floor so i removed ply from floor repainted it and its been fine ever since. unless you are a 100% that you can stop the water from getting under floor i would remove it and paint out floor. ;D

2 Questions regarding this;

Can you coat this into a ply-lined floor and walls?

How much Protectakote would I need for a swb Transit?

JM123

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 12:20:26 am »
Just lift the floor out and paint beneath, 3 coats, allow 24hrs for final coat to dry then put the ply back over it - job done. ;)

Ballymena N.I