jakeandmia

AND THE WORST?
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:29:50 pm »
HI ALL

WE ALL JUMPED OM THE BOARD YESTERDAY(ME ASWELL) STATING OUR BEST PAID JOBS.ALL WERE VERY INTERESTING READS.BUT WHILE WORKING TODAY I REALISED NOT EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME IS ROSY.I TRY TO WORK TO A MINIMUM OF £20 PER HOUR,BUT TODAY AT MIDDAY WHEN I TRY TO HIT AT LEAST THE £80 MARK I WAS QUITE A WAY SHORT.SO IT GOT ME THINKING,LETS ALL STATE OUR WORST PAID JOBS.

HERES MINE

TODAY I DID A BUNGALOW WITH NOT MANY WINDOWS THAT I CHARGE AN OLD LADY £5.AFTER THE TEA,CHAT AND VARIOUS MOVING OF GARDEN STUFF I REALISED I'D BEEN THERE ALMOST 40 MINS.SHES LIKE THIS EVERY MONTH SO SHE HAS THE TITLE OF MY "WORST PAID JOB"

COME ON THEN GUYS LETS HAVE YOURS.

REGARDS

WAYNE

macleod

Re: AND THE WORST?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:33:17 pm »
lowest paid is £7 for a pub - takes 15 mins though so thats 50p per minute....

my worst job is £50 for 4 hours which works out at less than 20 ppm - which i have now dropped

marc al

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:34:25 pm »
  I do a 3 bed house with large conservatory for 6 quid, it was one of the first jobs I got and priced wrong, I dont have the heart to put it up as her husband left her and the 3 kids 2 months after I started doing the windows and she has kept me on, even though I know for a fact he has gone well away and doesnt give her a penny.

Johnboyfree

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 07:50:41 pm »
I agree with TOSH ;D ;D I dont see how you can have a worse paid job,a little money is better than none,I have jobs where I should charge a lot more for but dont as I like my cuppas and chats,it makes me feel almost human ::)I did 2 jobs today in 3 hrs because of rain and wind and really enjoyed it.........I think I must start earning a living soon.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 07:51:40 pm »
HI ALL

WE ALL JUMPED OM THE BOARD YESTERDAY(ME ASWELL) STATING OUR BEST PAID JOBS.ALL WERE VERY INTERESTING READS.BUT WHILE WORKING TODAY I REALISED NOT EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME IS ROSY.I TRY TO WORK TO A MINIMUM OF £20 PER HOUR,BUT TODAY AT MIDDAY WHEN I TRY TO HIT AT LEAST THE £80 MARK I WAS QUITE A WAY SHORT.SO IT GOT ME THINKING,LETS ALL STATE OUR WORST PAID JOBS.

HERES MINE

TODAY I DID A BUNGALOW WITH NOT MANY WINDOWS THAT I CHARGE AN OLD LADY £5.AFTER THE TEA,CHAT AND VARIOUS MOVING OF GARDEN STUFF I REALISED I'D BEEN THERE ALMOST 40 MINS.SHES LIKE THIS EVERY MONTH SO SHE HAS THE TITLE OF MY "WORST PAID JOB"

COME ON THEN GUYS LETS HAVE YOURS.

REGARDS

WAYNE

Wayne,

please stop typing in capitals.  In 'geek speak', it's called SHOUTING, and believe it or not; it can be quite annoying too.

You will find that you get a better response to posts if you type in lower case, reserving capitals for when they're required.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 08:01:22 pm »
I AGRREE WITH TOSH

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:35:29 pm »

premclean

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 09:36:36 pm »
GEEK SPEAK IS SPOT ON THERE TOSH! I DIDN'T THINK WE WERE ON A LITERARY FORUM, CHILL YOUR BOOTS.

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 09:45:28 pm »
I AGREE WITH DAVE WHO AGREES WITH TOSH.

OUR WORST PAID JOBS ARE THOSE JOBS WE MISS AT THE END OF THE DAY AS THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN 100% PROFIT.

ALL THOSE JOBS THAT TAKE AGES AND ARE A PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE, ALL LONG GONE.

WE DO A FEW PLACES TO DO WITH CHARITIES FOR ALMOST NEXT TO NOTHING THOUGH BUT THAT ISN'T QUITE THE SAME.

;D

Immaculate windows

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 10:12:26 pm »
I have quite a few silly £6 jobs that I priced when I started up last summer. Although I probably have speeded up considerably over the last few months.
I do try to earn £20 per hour too, and mostly I do, but this is "working" time and obviously travelling between jobs does take up quite a bit of the time.
I average £100-£120 a day when I have my good-ie busy-weeks so really I'm quite proud of what I have acheived as I started with a completely blank canvas, and I now take approx £1700 per month.

Archy136

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 10:14:48 pm »
Anything I have too do Trad.

rosskesava

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 10:21:52 pm »

I'd like to know how you'd do all the balconies on this place done along with the windows on the tower at the back with wfp?

Archy136

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 10:25:19 pm »
What is it? A block of flats or hotel?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 10:36:57 pm »
Can't use use a squeegee?
Bless. ;D

My worst job is Longleat house.
Takes me 2 days and it's only £9.

mark dew

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 10:39:49 pm »

Archy136

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 10:51:56 pm »
Forgotten how to use one. Its just collecting cobwebs in the garage most of the time.

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 11:01:14 pm »
What is it? A block of flats or hotel?

It's now a very very extremely prestigeous block of flats along Brighton seafront - grade 1 listed and built in 1934 called Embassy Court. A few years ago it was an eyesore and a drug ridden dump for down and outs.

http://www.embassycourt.org/

One of the conditions of the contract was no wfp as they had previous experience of it and they were not good ones and the managing company is hardly a nobody when it comes to experience of such things.

The windows that are flush to the front of the building, they have to be done with roped access which we contract out but everywhere else, it has to be done trad style.

I think it can be both a blessing and a curse to just be 'wfp' or 'trad' only. Not all trad work is dangerous and fraught with danger and not all wfp work 'the only way'. I think it is best to do the job according to first what is safe, and secondly what the job requires and to say 'wfp only' limits yourself as does saying 'trad only'. There again if anyone is happy working like they do then more power to their elbow.

It's great and well paying contract though but the standard they require is extremely high and this week we had to go back for the sake of 8 windows out of 1400 around the back that had smears on them.

As for the worst job - I forgot, it my other halfs sister place. I do it for free when we visit. The last thing I want to do during the evenings is window clean.  :-[

Archy136

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 11:10:40 pm »
To be honest some of these 'prestigious places' are the worst payers. I clean what is supposed to be one of the best 5 small hotels in the world and its really at Rock bottom price. I've had to get some polish in to help me out and pay them peanuts just to make it worthwhile.

One night s stay would pay for the window cleaning for a month.

I would trad that place in Brighton no problem if the price right.

gaza

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 11:15:10 pm »
My  Mrs is a the  manageress of a cob shop,and I left a smear on a window,were the grease had been splashed on the window,she gave me hell so I DROPPED THAT SHOP ;D

Dont f... with me 8) darling :-*

gaza [the brave]
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 11:25:39 pm »
Some companies are prepared to pay for quality. We have a number of places that pay through the nose but they expect that you will jump when they say jump because they pay good money. Some businessmen do understand that it requires hard cash and prompt payment to get what they want.

It's a question of finding them.

How you find them is I think a question of attitude towards wanting to do a really good job for good money and somehow being in the right place at the right time.

As an example, we also do one smallish Italian restaurant. They pay £30 a clean for 2 doors and 6 large easy to access windows. It takes one person 20 minutes or less but what they want is their windows done in the same day of phoning us. Sometimes we don't do their windows for a few weeks and sometimes like this week, they've phoned everyday.

What we do is not only their windows but all the frames and shop front with wfp and then squeegie the windows afterwards.

They are happy and we are happy and we provide a 100% quality service and they are prepared to pay for it.

I do think it's down to attitude towards the customer and in the past we have done quality work for peanuts but somehow it's like you evolve. I don't know how to explain it.

dougster

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 11:30:55 pm »
 up north we have lots of terrace houses, and i charge £1.50 to £2.00 for the front for two windows and feel like sometimes im robbing them at that . especially the old dears that say, how much. in my younger days id get my front stones scrubbed and windows cleaned for one shilling(not sure how much that is, before my day)

L plate

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 11:32:54 pm »
Must be the worst post on this forum
Get polish in and pay them peanuts to make it worth while worth while worth while for who honest days graft for a honest days pay were ever you’re from
 >:( >:( >:(

rosskesava

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 11:42:55 pm »
We had a Polish bloke approach us and offer to work for £2.50 an hour. A few days later an Ukranian asked for £1.50 an hour.

Both times I called the Police but as expected .... nothing.

There's a pretty Polish girl who works in a cafe where we get teas every Thursday, (we do the windows for £15) who asked us about work as we've got to know her over the months.....

She sleeps above the place and gets £1 an hour for a rent free one room flat with a shared loo and bathroom. She works 14 hours a day 6 days a week. Her boss is from some Arab country and drives a new BMW.

It's not good.

Morph

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 11:58:44 pm »
Well, I've said already tonight, a Portugese guy stopped me today, saw my van said windowcleaning on signwriting..."I heard you make big money with poles windowcleaning?  I work £5 per hour no problems".
I just said, "problems!"  I drove off.

My worst job?

Arrrggghhhh!    They're all the worst! 

Archy136

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2006, 08:14:43 am »
What wrong with getting a Polish guy work for you for £6 an hour?

Dont be so self righteous.

JM123

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 10:24:40 am »
exactly, whats wrong with getting an immigrant to work for you??  Picture yourself in a foreign country, you've had to leave your family behind, you've took it upon yourself to learn the language, and still people look down their noses at you. 

They may be immigrants but so were YOUR ANCESTORS.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2006, 11:02:05 am »
exactly, whats wrong with getting an immigrant to work for you??  Picture yourself in a foreign country, you've had to leave your family behind, you've took it upon yourself to learn the language, and still people look down their noses at you. 

They may be immigrants but so were YOUR ANCESTORS.

If I intended to employ someone, I would not care where they came from - the only proviso being that their English was good enough for reasonable two way communication.
Some people have issues about immigrants working here.  Personally, I think it takes a lot of guts to travel thousands of miles to a place where you may be disliked and offer your services for employment.  Apart from that, it hasn't always been one way traffic.  Although "Auf Wiedersehen Pet" was fiction, it was based on fact as a lot of building workers emigrated for work (and higher pay) back then.

Archy136

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2006, 12:30:40 pm »
Must be the worst post on this forum
Get polish in and pay them peanuts to make it worth while worth while worth while for who honest days graft for a honest days pay were ever you’re from

I put an advert in the Job centre for a days work a week at £6 ph. I had a call from an English chap and a Polish chap. The Polish chap call first so I gave him the oportunity. And he s done very well.

It maybe peanuts for us but for a young lad whose never picked up a squeegee before its fine for starters(£50 per day).

So dont throw your toys out of the pram before you know the facts.

Morph

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 12:56:16 pm »
You employ him then, you presumptious lot!
I've given him your point of contact.

MY REASON FOR SAYING NO WAS BECAUSE I HAVEN'T GOT ENOUGH WORK FOR HIM, AS I TOLD HIM. 
He was a very nice friendly guy, didn't jump to any conclusions or accuse me of racism, he'd come from London, was driving a BMW had a lot of bling on him, and told me that he had seen guys there making loads of money with water poles, not Polish immigrants!
I DIDN'T BOTHER BORING YOU WITH THE DETAILS OF MY CONVERSATION WITH HIM BECAUSE I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO WORK OUT THE GIST

MY POINT HERE WAS THAT EVEN FOREIGNERS HAVE HEARD THAT WFP IS BIG MONEY, SO IMAGINE HOW MANY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS MAY BE HEARING THE SAME RUMOUR.  SO YOU MAY BE ASKING YOUR FOREIGN CHEAP LABOURER TO TAKE A DROP IN WAGE SOON!

AND IF ANYONE JUMPS TO CONCLUSIONS ACCUSING ME OF BEING SELF RIGHTEOUS AGAIN, I'LL USE EVEN BIGGER LETTERS! 

LET THAT BE A LESSON TO YOU.  I'M GOING BACK TO WORK NOW.....WITHOUT ASSISTANCE.

Archy136

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 01:32:40 pm »
Pj

I wasn't referring to you. Apologies if you thought I was.

I was referring to the comments specificaly about my Polish worker not your Portuguese encounter where you were making a valid point.

Thats what make this forum funny. Everyone is always getting the wrong end of the stick because theres always 2 or 3 conversations going on on each posts.

L plate

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 02:34:54 pm »
Archy 136 read over your post again it sound as if you only got the polish lad in to do a job that cant be done by paying a fair days pay. £6.00 per hour is a good starting rate I, m glad you took the polish lad on and give him a chance I have nothing but respect for people who take on immigrants who are here legally trying to improve there lot and paying them what they would pay every one else I think employing immigrants at a lower rate is a slippery slope for any industry. This  might be better on a different thread
Toys are staying were they are for now.   

Ian_Giles

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 02:46:27 pm »
My wife is a supervisor in a local Spar shop, she has a huge amount of responsibility, opens up the shop, till spot checks, ordering stock, banking, paperwork and it's increasing all the time.
My missus and the other senior supervisor are literally manager level and get only £5.60 per hour.
My one son works for company that makes showers (not Triton, the other one) he is 24 and gets just just over the minimum wage..about £5.30
The other son who is 21 gets £6.00 an hour working as a storeman in a local furniture shop.
My daughter is 18 and works for John Lewis, she gets about £5.40 an hour.

If you are able to pay an immigrant £6.00 an hour then he isn't being ripped off.

Right, I've had my say!

Now I'm locking the thread, it's gone way off topic now and is getting messy and more than a little irritable.

Ian (in mod mode 8))
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES