master cleaner

Backpack aches
« on: May 24, 2006, 05:35:39 pm »
hi i have been using my backpack for the last couple of days to see what the difference is in time from my trolley
the problem is that my right shoulder aches i dont mind if it is only until i get used to it but was wondering how long it will take
i dont want to put it on a trolley as i have already got 2 trolleys i want to carry it on my back sometimes full with 16ltrs mostly with between 10-12 ltrs

is there anything special that you backpackers do or have you modified your backpack to make it more comfortable
please reply as i have really enjoyed using it i just need to toughen up i hope

gary

D.Salkeld_Ltd

Re: Backpack aches
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:35:01 pm »
Gary,

I use my backpack every day and have now for about a month and I love it.

You need to avoid lifting it up to put it on.

See:
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=19503.0
For my trailer system.  The same sort of thing could be done in a van.

When wearing it, make sure the waist belt is tight.  A backpack's weight should be taken by the waist strap and verry little on the shoulders.  This should allow you to reach when using the pole.  However I feel the Shurflo needs a wider waist belt, try sliding a couple of those seat belt pads you can get from Auto Shops? (not tried that myself yet).

I did suffer a few aches, mainly my inside leg muscles but they went after a day or 2.

David Salkeld
Not Perfect - But Honest

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 08:40:09 pm »
If your the size of D. Salkeld above, you probably won't even notice you have it on.

I'm just a squirt at 5' 7" (nearly anyway) and 10 1/2 stone, I can't carry it for more than 15 mins without crying.

My tip.........put it on wheels ;)

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 10:48:49 pm »
Yeh point taken Sunshine.
But why have a backpack if you put it on wheels????!!!!
may as well get a Freedom Trolley?

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

L plate

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:04:37 pm »
Dave how many houses can you do a day with a back pack and how much water do you use I’ve read lots of your posts on hear and you seem to be the number one advocate 
 :) :) :)

craig jwc

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 11:50:38 pm »
If your going to carry the backpack put both straps over your shoulders and put the waist strap on also. You'll be surprised what difference the waist strap makes.

Otherwise get someone else to carry it ;D ;D

Craig

abacus

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 11:59:48 pm »
Hi
I brought a back pack for occational use it is a bit heavey at first I'm only 5'81/2 its 1/2' that makes the differance when I first put it on I nearly fell over backwards had visions of customers walking past with me looking like a turtle on its back.might be best to use it for hour or so and work up to full day still I was very pleased with it
regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 07:36:43 am »
Yeh point taken Sunshine.
But why have a backpack if you put it on wheels????!!!!
may as well get a Freedom Trolley?

David

Good point, I got van mounted first and have backpack as add on.
When i got backpack i thoought i was hard enough to carry it ;)

master cleaner

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 04:33:23 pm »
i used the backpack again today for about 3 hours , i dont ache as much as yesterday but i used it for 6hours yesterday, one thing i have noticed is that i dont use as much water with the backpack as i do with the trolley
today i cleaned 19 3ft windows with 12ltrs of water with the backpack on its second setting
i think i will use the backpack for everything for a month to see if the aches go away

gary

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 11:20:58 pm »
Gary,

Good idea.  I bet you don't go back to the van mount!

Try it on the first setting. A bit slower but plenty of water.  I can do about an hour before I run out (usually on the LAST window of a job!!).
Make a shelf in your van door so you can put it on at back height and pump fill it.

I do get a stiff back in the morning.  On Monday my backpack broke down (another story for another post) so I got the DIY Trolley out.  I was reeling the hosereel in, bent over a bit when ARGH!!!! my back went so NO WAY am I going to go humping that in and out of my trailer and humping 30ltr barrels!!

I often nearly forget I have the backpack on.  Today had just set of to a job when someone commented "Ghostbusters!!", that's getting nearly as irritating as "Missed a bit!", it was a good customer so I stopped to chat abit.  I lent my hand on the wall next to the pavement and stood up straight to face them.  Nearly toppled over backwards...........Forgot the backpack!!!

Ive walked in a shop with it on!!  Went to the public loo with it on!!  Nearly tried driving with it on........DOH!! ???

Me and my backpack are best mates!!!!

Not going to try sleeping with it on  though??!!

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

master cleaner

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 09:10:10 pm »
if anyone tells me to get in the corners i always tell them that i charge extra for the corners ;D ;D

i have already got a 400ltr tank fitted in the van with a 75ltr per min sub pump so filling the backpack takes seconds . i have also got 2 of the new omnitrolleys with built in hose reels which i cannot fault , but i have got to admit that i did enjoy using the backpack last week and am going to get some extra padding for it and a thicker waist strap also i think i will buy my son one . i have already arranged to have them signwritten £25 for both backpacks which i think is a good deal as it is the same guy that did my van.
time will tell

gary