AdamW

Thinking of selling my round
« on: May 24, 2006, 11:05:04 am »
Hiya all

At the moment im thinking of moving to Canada,  Therfore shall be looking to sell my window cleaning round!!

I have been established now for 5 years and have roughly £4000 worth of buisness per month,  mostly domestic with a few commercial contracts!
The Round is based in the Bexley area of kent.

I also have a V reg Vauxhall astra van and 2 sets of ladders and a point.

Any ideas on a price i should look for???

David 'Duck' Clare

Re: Thinking of selling my round
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 11:08:26 am »
rounds normally go for 2 to 4 times there monthly value i.e. £1k p/m would equal between £2-4K sale value. But a round is only worth what someone will actually pay for it, which may be much less depending on your timescales??

Van price...i have no idea...someone on here will though

Also are you prepaired to break the round up and sell it in bits? sometimes people get more money that way?

Goodluck

DC

AdamW

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:13:27 am »
Cheers m8

Too be honest i think i wud like to get rid off it all at once however if it bacame hard too sell maybe i wud consider that!!

I dont have much knowledge on buying and selling rounds,  is there generally a lot of intrest in buying rounds??   Are there bigger coporations that buy up smaller rounds etc??

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 11:35:24 am »
not sure about corporations - as i expect they focus on commercial jobs as a whole. that said people like Trev and the like may want a crack at your stuff?

People sell on ebay - i spoke to a bloke that sold his round for 2.5 times there

personally id look at buying some off you now but only about a days worth as ive picked up a bit of work in kent and i like to do it as i get to see my Dad when im over there (i live in sussex).

If you want to sell a days worth email me.

otherwise goodluck in Canada!

DC

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:58:23 am »
This link may help you with selling your business.

Would be interested my self but just out of my reach.

http://www.businesslink.uk.com/

good luck, best wishes, Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

sunshine windows

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 01:48:41 pm »
Personally i really can't understand why rounds only go for around double their monthly value.

If i had built up a business that was turning over say £100,000 per year, I certainly wouldn't want to get shot of it for only £16,000.

Just my personal opinion.
Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 02:01:28 pm »
Sunshine

You have to remember turnover is not profit. a company may turnover £100k p/a

but that may take 2 x employees (£20k each = £40k)

tax, NI and vat approx 30% i.e. £30k

materials, insurance, van costs, petrol etc etc etc say £5k to £10k pa

thats £75K / £80k off the £100k before you start!

hence why a business may turnover £1miliion but sell for £100k !

DC

Trevor Knight

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 03:26:12 pm »
From a buinsess aspect you also have to look at the return period.

Take £500 work in a day. This would cost me £180 wages, £75 VAT, £60 tax/Ni leaving a net profit of £185

Based on a monthly visit and a sale value of 2.5 times monthly gross this would take me almost 7 months to recoupe my outlay. If you charged based on annual turnover i.e £500 x 12 = £6,000 (say ask for 50%) this would take me 16 months to get a return and that just isn't viable?

I also appreciate your thoughts Sunshine but also consider that I guess most of the work is domestic and if commercial on contract, but like everything, nothing is really guaranteed so if you take 7 months to recoupe your outlay it also gives you 7 months to have customers cancel through moving, unhappy, etc.....

Well there ya go for what its worth  ;D ;D

best wishes, Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Matt_Benton

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 05:24:41 pm »
Hi there,

Wow, what a coincidence, that's where all my work is! I've been working for just under a year and have about £1000 worth of work per month myself. I'd be happy to buy maybe half of your work. I know you don't fancy splitting it, but £16,000 is more than i've got to hand at present!

Send me an e-mail to windows@mbentoncleaning.com if you're interested, or just reply to this post.

Cheers, Matt

dougster

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 09:57:34 pm »
If you do extras like cleaning conserv roofs gutters upvc and driveways for these customers on a yearly basis aswell, i would be thinking of selling it as a business with all equipment to , not a round, i think it is only worth what someone one is prepared to pay for it good luck mate dont sell it to cheap think of all that hard graft you have put into it

AdamW

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:44:03 pm »
Cheers guys thanx alot for the replys!

As i said in the original post im still in very early stages of moving and i have to work up untill then ;D

Everyone who has shown intrest i have marked all ure contact details down and will be in contact if/when i decide to sell up!

Thanx alot for the advice