bobby

tds reading
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:54:09 pm »
only had the wfp system for 2 weeks i live in a hard water area tds reading on tap water was 324 it has stayed around this mark just checked it today and it only reads 194?     
does any one else get such a varied reading.

JM123

Re: tds reading
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:19:54 pm »
hi bobby what type of system do you have?/Is it RO or DI or RO/DI??? 
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

bobby

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:23:29 pm »
hi its a merlin ro + di also since the tap reading has dropped it is producing 2 litres of pure water per min before it took 2min 26 sec to do the same?

JM123

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:44:06 pm »
It should be reading no more than 10 before DI.  Is it brand new or second hand??

Ballymena N.I

bobby

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:48:56 pm »
second hand

JM123

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 01:09:53 am »
Ok sounds to me like the prefilter needs changed, the RO needs backflushed as well, there'squite a strong chance that the membranes are knackered also as you say it is producing 2 ltrs per minute but at 194ppm, or is that what it is going into the merlin at?  I'd get on to the person who sold you the merlin and ask them when the prefilter was last changed, when the merlin was last backflushed.  Also worth having with the merlin is a seperate sediment filterand carbon block, 2 10" sumps will set you back about £50 and a sediment filter and a carbon filter about another £10.  This is an additional extra we offer with all merlins which has proved to be very effective in prolonging membrane and filter life at the sacrifice of a few extra filters in the year.

If you need prefilters or any other components just e-mail me j.mills175@btinternet.com or you can ring me on 077085 14 347

Ballymena N.I

bobby

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 04:08:55 pm »
it is reading 194 before it goes into the merlin it is coming out @ 0 just could not understand why there is such a big difference in the water reading i took 2 weeks ago
thanks for your help will keep your number if i have any probs
cheers bobby

JM123

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 06:15:39 pm »
Oh right,sorry I misread your post - was thinking that the water out of the merlin was reading 194!!  hahaha, yeah sure no problem at all bobby, even if you just need some advice or anything don't hesitate to ring anytime all.

Ballymena N.I

bobby

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 08:02:28 pm »
cheers but do you know why there is such a differance in the readings or is this usual?

JM123

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 11:51:44 pm »
A number of things can affect the reading - firstly, heavy rain can affect the reading, usually taking around a week to show up on the tds meter, secondly the temperature of the water,warm water will absorb minerals more readily, thirdly, mains water work can have a bearing both increasing and decreasing tds (changing mains source etc).  There are a 1001 reasons why the tds levels can rise and fall but these are the main reasons.  Also the time of day can affect tds levels as in the evening when less people are using their water supply the pressure tends to rise, as the pressure is greater the tendency for water to absorb more minerals from pipework decreases as the water works its way towards your home.  Thats why many people find that their RO is more productive at night as pressure is greater and tds is somtimes slightly lower, with saying this water temp can drop at night having a slightly negative effect on production but overall the RO will perform better in the evening for the majority of people.

Make sense??

Ballymena N.I

bobby

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 06:21:54 pm »
yes that makes sense we have had torrental rain here for 4 days & i have been topping up on a night instead of the afternoon  ;D