Morph

Re: rain all week
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2006, 11:49:22 am »
There is no way any of my clients would want windows cleaned today!

I have totally waterproof clothing, from head to foot, but not for heavy rain like today.
That's it, rest of the day off.  Plenty of other things to do.......... in between seeing anything interesting on here.

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2006, 05:21:37 pm »
How on earth do some of you guys 'know' what your customers think?

It's like anything else in life, before you try it, you really dont 'know' about it.

Get some waterproofs on, and go clean windows!

Morph

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2006, 05:50:47 pm »

DOH!

Because I have been a window cleaner for 19 years and most of my residential clients have asked me not to do them in the rain, so I don't.
Like I tell the guy who cuts my hair how I like it...He doesn't say, "Tough mate that's how I do it!"
Same with every service, within reason.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2006, 06:13:24 pm »
Like I tell the guy who cuts my hair how I like it...He doesn't say, "Tough mate that's how I do it!"
Very good point. The best yet.

My customers are used to me turning up in dry weather for 9 years, and the same again before that when Ian did some of them.

I can't all of a sudden change that after nearly 2 decades. :o

JM123

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2006, 06:16:37 pm »
YES YOU CAN
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »
Why would I want to?
I'm happy as things are.
Why get wet? ???

I don't have wfp to fund.

JM123

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2006, 06:21:42 pm »
WFP costs about the same to run as trad so why you say that??  Plus would you not rather be able to take the nice sunny days off and work in the not so good days??

Ballymena N.I

rosskesava

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2006, 06:41:13 pm »
This morning I reckoned it would rain on and off for most of the day which it did add to that the wind along the coast was gusting up to 50mph - we didn't work.

We'll work in light showers as it is hardly financially viable to stop work everytime a drop of rain appears but if it's raining proper, we don't work.

Most of our resindentual customers don't like us doing their windows in the rain and that is it. It is their windows and their choice. If I didn't like it I'd dump them as customers.

As for rain, I think there is a lot more coming so for me at least, a few days off here and there. It's just a pity over half our work is commercial which gets done rain, wind or shine.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2006, 06:41:38 pm »

WFP costs about the same to run as trad so why you say that?? Plus would you not rather be able to take the nice sunny days off and work in the not so good days??
::)

Hmmm.
I spend £15-20 every 3 months on rubbers, blades, liquid etc....
So that's less than £2 a week.
Sometimes there's other bits, but those are the definates.

Van lease or payments?
More fuel(heavy load)?
Resin?
Brushes?
Hose parts...maintainance etc....
Not mention initial outlay, possibly on credit.

Like to see you pay for that lot with the above figures. ;D

JM123

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2006, 06:59:28 pm »
Sed/carbon filter every 4months - £30
11ltr refill resin 12months  - £40
Extra fuel - £20 (max) month
Brushes - last for years
Hose parts etc - the odd £3 every month or so
Initial outlay - £2500

So running costs are about the same but then I paid £2500 to start up, but then I make about £20 an hour more than I used to so thats 125hrs work extra to pay off equipment, so now all it costs me is about £400 - £450 per year compared to £80 for ladder work.  How long do I need to work off the difference??? 1 day.

Not knocking trad at all cuz I still work trad on shops etc

Ballymena N.I

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2006, 07:03:15 pm »
... but then I make about £20 an hour more than I used to ..
Used a 2 inch squeegee before then? ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2006, 07:04:27 pm »
Wfp casts 10 times more to run than wfp , i have £13'000 of reciepts to prove it ,just for last year.

Mind you i do have 2 fully equiped vans if i was trad i would not need the vans or double the fuel bill for carting all that weight about.

Also every week it seems like i have to buy something new , one week its a pole the next a new hose then loads of fittings then  a bag of resin then a new brush it never ends.

All i can say if you think it costs the same you must of used some rubber.

Dave

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2006, 07:05:44 pm »
Brushes last for years.

Well i have gone through 4 ,i think i must be rubbing too hard

Dave

P.s My Ionic pole broke to day   :(

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2006, 07:11:22 pm »
I read that building sites are full of Poles, you could pick one up there.

Or was that Norwegiens? ;D

simbo

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2006, 08:33:27 pm »
i am no wfp expert but without a doubt earnings definately go up and this hass gone completely off topic, but now i have wf aswell i can get my work done in less days and book in more of my other work win! win! win! and don't mind getting days off
cheers all simbo

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2006, 08:46:13 pm »

DOH!

Because I have been a window cleaner for 19 years and most of my residential clients have asked me not to do them in the rain, so I don't.

Your telling me that you have spoke to ALL your customers about working in the rain?

I doubt that ::)

As for your hair cut, first im jealous, im bald >:(

Second for those with hair, there are many possible styles.
How many ways can a window BE clean?
It's either clean or not.

If it is the same degree of clean, no matter if it rains or not, where is the problem.....

......answer, it's in our heads.

eddie d

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2006, 08:55:05 pm »
hi stu i saw your van last time i was in southend .it was parked up off southchurch rd i think it was  i was cleaning a plc called st francis court .and it was raining .i think you have to work in all weathers or you will be a poor wc.99% of customers dont care and realize that you have to make a living.
ed

eddie d

« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2006, 09:06:02 pm »
yes squeaky it is a lot dearer .
but i wont be falling off the pole.
also change is possible ,not easy . after 15 years i realized that im doing this to make money not for fun .and you dont make any csah looking out the window waiting for the rain to stop.
eddie

rosskesava

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2006, 09:18:28 pm »
Although tomorrow and Friday it's all commercial work we do fit in a few 'richer' customers as they're on route and they pay well so they get 5 star treatment.

The 4 I have just phoned said not tomorrow because of the weather.

With regards the extra cost of wfp? I keep accurate records and since we've been using wfp (as well as trad) our profits have increased by 23% for the first 4 months of this year compared to last year and that is excluding 14 jobs worth £900 a month that could not be done with trad methods.

Overall, for the same time last year our work is up 8% and that's with ditching quiet a number of small, time consuming work.

Our wfp costs for the first 4 months was £156 and the extra diesel I estimate at £80. Trad equipment for the same period was £139.

Wfp as an expense was 9% of our running costs and trad stuff was 7%.

So as far as I'm concerned and the bottom line, profit - which is all I concern myself about, there is no question that wfp more than pays for itself and in terms of efficiency of time and money spent, for us it returns a much larger profit pro rata than trad methods.

It can also be used for some commercial work on days when trad style is out the question and the quality of finish doesn't matter that much because of either high winds and salt, or rain.

It's also more hassle and a real pain in the backside and there is one jobs I hate doing every evening, filling up those rotten tanks. Just as I hate the complaints about it from some customers.

Cheers

matt

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2006, 10:23:06 pm »
i cleaned a few this afternoon (after is stopped raining)

these were all older people (the younger 1's are in work, thus dont know if i clean in the rain or not), 4 out of 6 said they WOULD NOT want them cleaned in the rain

ALLTHOUGH

5 out of 6 said they would have the whole house done with WFP as it cleans the frames