Johnboyfree

Re: rain all week
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 08:37:42 pm »
I will clean in the rain if its not too bad,but not in high winds.strange thing is...the best time to clean windows and cars is in the rain, ???

dai

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 09:55:56 pm »
Worked till 2pm and it lashed down all day. Put my hill walking jacket on and got stuck in. I forgot my waterproof trousers and I

dai

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 10:14:37 pm »
I worked in the pouring rain till 2 pm. Even my hanky was wringing wet in my trouser pocket.
One customer said that she was surprised to see me working in such weather. I told her that it made no difference with WFP, and that if I had the day off every time it rained, I would have to charge considerably more in order to make a living.
Although my hill walking jacket kept me dry on top, I had forgotten my water proof trousers.
I was feeling cold and miserable but determined to carry on. Then my phone rang,
It my wife telling me that the lawyer from the immigration advisory service had been on the phone. We have won our appeal against the home office refusal to grant visas for my wife's two little girls in Indonesia.
Eighteen months of fighting for justice, and stress I never want to go through again.
I packed up and headed for home, tears of pure joy and elation cascading down my cheeks.
Thank you God, I don't care if it rains for a month. Dai

Pro_Clean

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 10:29:16 pm »
Tosh,

I've just been on the phone to Gordon, he say's not to worry paying your tax bill this time, you can give it a miss. What with the bad weather and all.

He say's they like to provide a service, and the customer is always right. Being Chancellor is a cheery, friendly job, giving a service to the public, and like you and I, he needs to be popular with the public.

;)

LMFAO! ;D

mark dew

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 10:36:56 pm »
I couldn't always clean to a good enough standard in the rain doing it trad. That is rain like today.
If i couldn't detail quicker than the windows got wet i would notice a slight smear around the edges.
Now i use wfp on most jobs the weather isn't as important to me.
Didn't clean today though.

We have won our appeal against the home office refusal to grant visas for my wife's two little girls in Indonesia.
Eighteen months of fighting for justice, and stress I never want to go through again.
I packed up and headed for home, tears of pure joy and elation cascading down my cheeks.
Thank you God, I don't care if it rains for a month. Dai

I like reading your posts and perspective on things Dai. You remind me of an old fashoined bloke in the nicest sense of the meaning.
I'm pleased for you.
Enjoy your older years. ;D

brett walker

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2006, 10:46:58 pm »
Interesting thread, i think the key is to train your customers explain you can wfp in the rain or make an explanation letter this may help.  I've only ever cleaned a few in light rain but to be honest i dont feel comfortable working in the rain because of what the customer will say.  After reading some of the above im thinking of cleaning more in the rain
Theres always bound to be a few complaints but im thinking if its explained correctly just like changing them from trad to wfp it will make life easier

What really cheeses me off is when you do somebodies windows when its dry and they say'it'll rain now youve been' i get this a lot so ive started telling them that the rain doesnt dirty the windows its the dirt in the air.  So i am getting them prepared

Brett.

busydaffodil

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2006, 10:56:59 pm »
For DAI

Congrats on your fabulous news.   Who cares what the weather had in store for you....your news is like a ray of sunshine.   Wishing you a wonderful future!!!

pjulk

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2006, 11:13:23 pm »
i dont feel comfortable working in the rain because of what the customer will say

Im exactly the same thats why when customers ask for there gutters to be cleaned i tell them i only do it in the rain.
I also do fasia cleans in the rain and tell the customers its the best time to do it as the rain helps soften the dirt and you get better results ( probably does not make any differance but it works )

Today i went out and gave a few quotes and its been raining hard all day and windy.

I got both of the people i quoted for and they both asked when can i do it.
So i said well im here now and they both went for it i couldn't believe it.

Before when i have tried working in the rain i had nothing but moans so i stopped it but will still work in light showers.

If its says off for about 5 or 6 hours tomorrow i will be ok and not worry to much about the rest of the week.
But i have a large gutter job thats been in need of doing for about a month so if it rains i will go and do that

Paul

L plate

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2006, 11:47:35 pm »
As a new be I don’t want to teach my granddad to suck eggs but if you really want to wok in rain (wfp) do so its all about marketing  the customers you know well trust you as you always do a good job so put out a flyer or news letter that you will be doing there windows on a Monday  or when ever and you will be doing them that day every 4 or 6 weeks come rain or shine as most of your customer stayed with you when you went wfp (they trust you) so they will stay with you if you start to work in the rain but always trust your work and give them your guarantee that when it stops raining and the windows are dry they will be perfect if not you will redo them but remember if some one calls you to tell you its ok but not as good as normal go round strait away and redo them with a smile on your face its better to 20 and redo 2 or 3 but this will stop when they know you will never let your work be less than 100%

L plate

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2006, 12:11:02 am »
Dhoo!!!! should have said don’t want to sound as if I’m teaching my granddad

Trevor Knight

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2006, 06:31:13 am »
Agree with you in principle L Plate although I wouldn't recommend a specific day, a week yes but not a day as that narrows your flexibility down too much and there is more likelyhood that you will not be able to return on that specific day. We tell customers we will be in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th week of each month, whatever it is for them and they are fine with that.

Trev  :D
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2006, 06:33:43 am »
Best get ot quick lads. Your 1 day of no rain is here :-*

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2006, 05:53:57 pm »
Well we had a few showers here in Chepstow, South East Wales, but not enough to disrupt the smooth-running of Tosh and ABC Window Cleaning.

After gearing myself up for a wet day; it turned out quite pleasant.

I almost wish we had more rain!

JohnL

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2006, 07:12:04 pm »
Well done Dai, best of luck for you and your family  :)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

dai

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2006, 08:14:24 pm »
Thanks for your good wishes guys and girls. I wouldn't be any happier if I had won that 17 million jackpot last week. My faith in British justice is restored.
It's a pity that the entry clearance officer got it wrong, the Kids could have been here at school 18 months ago.
Every cloud has a silver lining, so they say, and all the clouds we had yesterday certainly did.
I'm not a religious guy, but I was moved by the number of my customers that were actually praying for us. Bless them all. Dai

simbo

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2006, 08:37:25 pm »
like it or not, 50% of customers will not think much of us cleaning in the rain and as far as i know rain collects airbourn dust which dirties the windows and keeps us in work, as far as i am concerned, customers need to be kept happy and if we lose a few days so what you all know how much money you can earn
your never going to be poor
each of us runs our business to suit, so if you can get away with cleaning in the rain fair play, if you cannot relax and enjoy your family if you are lucky enough to have one
simbo

Johnboyfree

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2006, 08:49:03 pm »
Thanks for your good wishes guys and girls. I wouldn't be any happier if I had won that 17 million jackpot last week. My faith in British justice is restored.
It's a pity that the entry clearance officer got it wrong, the Kids could have been here at school 18 months ago.
Every cloud has a silver lining, so they say, and all the clouds we had yesterday certainly did.
I'm not a religious guy, but I was moved by the number of my customers that were actually praying for us. Bless them all. Dai
We all moan about the weather and what we should or shouldnt do me included,its only when you read about things like this that you realise how much we have...and are eternaly grateful for....congratulations Dai,you shouldnt have had to wait that long,now you can get on with life as it should be.....Bills....kids....Bills ;D ;D

Trevor Knight

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2006, 08:51:43 pm »
Not sure where you get your stats from Simbo.

like it or not, 50% of customers will not think much of us cleaning in the rain

We have over 1600 customers all of which we clean regardless of the weather and have maybe 10 complaints. They complain the weather is bad not that we have cleaned them?

Must have nice customers on our books  ;)

simbo

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2006, 08:55:49 pm »
my customers must be crap then as i know most will not be happy but, hey i have other work as well as windows so i suppose i can ride the weather easier, i love being out cleaning but as with all jobs you easily get bored so looked for other services asswell and working out just grand
cheers simbo

Trevor Knight

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2006, 07:24:47 am »
Nice one Simbo, am sure your customers are not crap either. I just concentrate on W/C as thats what we are geared up for specifically. I know there is plenty to look for with gutters/patio cleaning etc... but can't be arsed with all that.

I guess if I had other fish to fry then I would be likewise and maybe not w/c in the rain.

Good luck, best wishes, Trev