stuart howes

rain all week
« on: May 21, 2006, 01:19:07 pm »
they say it is going to rain all week all over the place .......
the thing is i dont normally work in the rain     i cant not work all week as i will be be so poor what, are all you non rain workers going to do    just some moral
support needed i think :(    this is for wfp users

dai

Re: rain all week
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 01:26:16 pm »
Stuart, If it's not too windy or absolutely pi55ing down I plan to work through it.
Tell your customers that if you stayed at home every time it rains, you would have to charge double the price. This usually shuts them up. Dai

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 01:30:44 pm »
Hi Stu

Looks like me and you, are going to be sick of george forbys remix by the end of next week. ;D ;D

matt

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 01:50:03 pm »
im on holidays in a few weeks time and had hoped for a few dry days for my spends ;)

looks like it aint happening  :(

matt

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:50:50 pm »
though i do have a few gutter / fasica jobs to do

so i might be out in the rain doing them

it'll all help

simon w

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 02:12:15 pm »
 Stu. Dont let the rain stop you from earning a living. just get out there and clean your windows!. put your wet gear on & get on with business as usual. most of your customers will be at work. When they get home their windows will be clean & every one's happy.

I explain to my customers from the start that we work 8-5 Mon-Fri, regardless of the weather. as i'm running a business and cant stop working just because it's raining. If they expect you to be there when the weather is fine then they have to accept the odd occasions when it's raining.

Simon :)

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 02:21:10 pm »
I agree with Simon, what would you do if you clean them and an hour later it rains? give them a refund??

People on the whole don't mind.

Keep going, regards, Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

dougster

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 02:41:16 pm »
these are the days that i save powerwashing jobs for and other bits of cleaning, then i can still go and earn some bread and butter

ronaldo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 10:57:59 am »
Once again sat in the house due to the poope weather, it makes me laugh when people keep saying whatever the weather we will still clean your windows and their customers just say ok no problem.

Ive said before on this forum if we went to clean any of our domestics in this weather we would be told to do one! so today we thought we,d go and do a couple of our commercials WRONG.
First one we arrived at we were met by the manager who said not today lads its a waste of time and a waste of money.

I no, so you dont need to tell me that some of you would just say drop them,£175.00!!!! would you take that out of your pocket and throw it away?? EXACTLY.

So my point is its ok saying we clean in any weather but  if we did that round here we would very quickly have nothing to clean, i no nearly every wc in the area and none of them works in the weather like were having at the moment. good luck to you if your customers will stand it but they wont her and i,m sure that would go for the majority in here.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

rugby

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 11:49:17 am »
im still confused,i dont normaly work in the rain,but need the money so thought i would go for it last friday and clean in heavyish rain to see how my customers would respond, 5 customers said no thanks,5 customers were ok,so 50% said goodbye 50% said ok,so what do i do when its raining next time? like i said im confused ???

JM123

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 12:40:34 pm »
explain to your customers that wfp works fine in the rain (which it does for me) and you shouldn't have a problem, most people are fine as long as you explain to them and they know you are accountable for your work.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Trevor Knight

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 01:24:03 pm »
I understand all the postings on here about when it rains but have to say again, what would you do if it rains 10 minutes after you have cleaned them??

When we take on a new customer we explain that we offer a REGULAR and RELIABLE service. This means we will call when expected irrespective of the weather, that way we can maintain our commitment as promised, otherwise if it rains a week thens it ok then rains a week the customers in the 4th week start wondering where you are.

I don't know, we can bang on about this forever as to who is right or wrong. All I know is I tell the customer what to expect and have never had a problem, my guy's have been out all day and will stay out and work, thats just how we do it?

Lets face it, what are the chances that you will clean a customers windows in the rain more than twice a year? Your customers can expect you to be reliable and not take into consideration the weather.

Good luck anyway

Trev  ;)

Ian Rochester

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 03:17:16 pm »
We generally clean in "modest" rain, however when it gets too wet and it becomes a chore we stop, go and get a bacon sarnie and wait it out. 

Today the lads have called it a day, not for the rain, which is quite light, but for the wind, which is gusting quite strong off the sea from the north and is too much for both ladders or poles.

Luckily we always keep Saturdays as a back up day for any wet ones during the week.  If we slip a few days behind it is not the end of the world.

Remember: "Work to live, not live to work"  this really is an enjoyable and satifying occupation, don't turn it into another 9-5 slog!

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 04:30:30 pm »
hi i managed to work today from about 11am till 3ish then rain started again i only had one customer moan today thankfully the last one don't generally work in rain but i've still got to pay bills like anyone else i just worked while it was reasonably dry as i don't really like getting soaked.  ;D

matt

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 04:34:00 pm »
i did my gutter and fasica clean :) inbetween heavy showers

then the old dear next door to the house i was on asked me to look at her blocked downpipe   :o :o :o, removed a plant and roots from it

a very nice day

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 04:42:01 pm »
This morning we braced ourselves for a wet working day; since last week we only turned over little more than half of what we normally would.

Luckily enough, the weather brightened up; apart from a couple of showers; but your customers must be bright enough to understand that you've got to earn at least enough to get by with.

I clean in all weathers when I have to and haven't lost a customer due to working in the rain yet.

I once did receive a strong objection, and (using a line I read from a Roy Harding post), I explained that the windows will be cleaned, all poo removed; no cobwebs and they'd still look good when they dried out. 

I informed the customer not to pay me then and there; and to pay me on Friday evening when I collect; only if she was happy with the job.

She was and coughed up.  She's now a model customer and pays me for cleans in advance.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 04:46:43 pm »
I totally agree with Ronaldo.

These people who say "whatever the weather" are being a bit un-professional.

Until I came on this forum a year ago I didn't realise what a hard nosed lot of ruthless businessmen window cleaners had become.  :(

Whatever happened to putting the customer first and providing a service to cater for the public's needs?
I thought window cleaning was a cheery, friendly profession.
It still is for me.... :)

That said(!), today I did call on a few people in light rain, because it's getting to the point after 2 weeks where it's starting to matter.

I apologised profusely though, as I felt a bit guilty.
Only 3 out of 9 said no though. :)

Rog.

mick hay

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 04:51:05 pm »
I always work through rain, today it lashed down non-stop, still is now.

Hate the thought of playing catch up. I've never had a customer moan about it
i'm home now, dry and warm and know my days work is done!
Look 4ward to getting wet through tomorrow now!!..lol     :-\

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 05:11:53 pm »

Until I came on this forum a year ago I didn't realise what a hard nosed lot of ruthless businessmen window cleaners had become.  :(

Rog.

Why?  If I rubbed a window with dirt; then cleaned it in the pouring rain, the rain wouldn't 'magic' the dirt back on there.

The window would still be clean.

Wor Lass cleaned our windows last Monday, and they still look clean.

How's cleaning a window in the rain unprofessional?

Some here will say they don't like getting wet.  That's fair enough, I don't like it either, but I think you're more frightened of a bit of confrontation with your customers, rather than getting wet, Roger; and making excuses why you won't clean in the rain.

Any customer who tells me, 'not this month, mate', without good reason gets dropped.

Anyway, if it's the odd rainy day, I'm more than happy to take the day off, but prolonged rain, like we have now forces your bottom out of the door.

But I don't think that's unprofessional.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 05:15:14 pm »
I totally agree with Ronaldo.

Whatever happened to putting the customer first and providing a service to cater for the public's needs?
I thought window cleaning was a cheery, friendly profession.
It still is for me.... :)

That said(!), today I did call on a few people in light rain, because it's getting to the point after 2 weeks where it's starting to matter.

I apologised profusely though, as I felt a bit guilty.
Only 3 out of 9 said no though. :)

Rog.

I would have agreed with you some time ago, slightest drizzel and i was off.

But i'm not doing favours! I am running a business!

Before I was always skint and behind with work.

Now i'm up to date and actually earn a living!

If you give the customer a choice, they will make one.
If you tell the customer your terms, they will accept.

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 05:16:52 pm »

Rog.

Why?  If I rubbed a window with dirt; then cleaned it in the pouring rain, the rain wouldn't 'magic' the dirt back on there.

Wor Lass cleaned our windows last Monday, and they still look clean.

How's cleaning a window in the rain unprofessional?

Some here will say they don't like getting wet.  That's fair enough, I don't like it either, but I think you're more frightened of a bit of confrontation with your customers, rather than getting wet, Roger; and making excuses why you won't clean in the rain.

Any customer who tells me, 'not this month, mate', without good reason gets dropped.

Anyway, if it's the odd rainy day, I'm more than happy to take the day off, but prolonged rain, like we have now forces your bottom out of the door.

But I don't think that's unprofessional.

Spot on Tosh!

Unprofessional is letting customers dictate the terms of business!!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 05:23:11 pm »
 I know that, but customers don't always see it that way.

Nice attitude. You must be popular.

Like I said, I have done, but I don't want to.
In spite of my avatar, that's not the person my customers see.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 05:30:25 pm »
Tosh,

I've just been on the phone to Gordon, he say's not to worry paying your tax bill this time, you can give it a miss. What with the bad weather and all.

He say's they like to provide a service, and the customer is always right. Being Chancellor is a cheery, friendly job, giving a service to the public, and like you and I, he needs to be popular with the public.

;)

Roy Harding

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 05:34:01 pm »
I have worked all day and had a top day, and no one said a word.

It is a question of training your customers, and conditioning your own out look.

Mind I have been know to say if someone says its raining, "allright I wont charge you for the extra rince and laugh". ;D

But if I feel they are upset leave a bill and say only pay me if your happy.

Roy

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 05:39:14 pm »
Tosh,

I've just been on the phone to Gordon, he say's not to worry paying your tax bill this time, you can give it a miss. What with the bad weather and all.

He say's they like to provide a service, and the customer is always right. Being Chancellor is a cheery, friendly job, giving a service to the public, and like you and I, he needs to be popular with the public.

;)
Well you won't pay any tax on £0 turnover will you? ::)
So yes, he won't be asking you for money for those days.

P®oPole™

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 06:43:01 pm »
Rain doesnt affect wfp use, just tell your customers. Dont give them a choice they will accept.

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 07:00:38 pm »
I've just saw the weather forecast upto Thusday!

Get your water-proofs on!

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 07:08:03 pm »
Tosh,

;)

I'd rather pay tax and eat!
Well you won't pay any tax on £0 turnover will you? ::)
So yes, he won't be asking you for money for those days.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 07:13:20 pm »
I've just saw the weather forecast upto Thusday!

Get your water-proofs on!
I think tomorrow's the best day, only a few scattered showers. :)

Best rip out a load of work tomorrow.
I'll be ok if it rains the rest of the week then.

matt

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 07:22:59 pm »
i agree with Squeaky on this

i allways thought the customer was ALLWAYS RIGHT

the guy i used to work with has the attitude "they need us, more than we need them" and thats his exact saying

since we split up the work and went our seperate ways, we had a 6 week turn around, he is down to a 4 week turnaround with taking a few days off, as he doesnt have enough work, Im stacked out struggling to stay under 6 weeks (and i work longer days), alot of his customers have binned him, some have gone elsewhere, and some to me

see, im of the opinion of "trying to keep the customer happy" and i know 100% that most of mine wouldnt have them done in the rain

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 07:32:52 pm »
i... and i know 100% that most of mine wouldnt have them done in the rain

Matt,

I'd like to see the results of your 100% survey, because my own anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise.

I've lost a couple of customers transferring to WFP; but I've not lost one because I cleaned their house when it was raining; or looked like it was going to rain.

In fact the opposite is true.  I've picked up customers while working in the rain.

Of course, if it's 'humping' down with rain, I don't work; unless it's just a quick 'beefy' shower.

I think the worst thing about working in the rain isn't the 'getting wet', it's the thought a customer will complain.  But they don't usually!  Strangely enough they're generally bright enough to understand why you're doing it.

Not long after I first started window cleaning I remember asking a question about working in the rain; on this site.

I think it may have been 'Lionheart' (correct me if I'm wrong, Lionheart), but I was advised that if I was honest with myself, and could clean a window in the rain; which I can; then all I needed on top of that was the 'balls' to do it.

It was good advise.

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2006, 07:33:10 pm »

the guy i used to work with has the attitude "they need us, more than we need them" and thats his exact saying

since we split up the work and went our seperate ways, we had a 6 week turn around, he is down to a 4 week turnaround with taking a few days off, as he doesnt have enough work, Im stacked out struggling to stay under 6 weeks (and i work longer days), alot of his customers have binned him, some have gone elsewhere, and some to me

see, im of the opinion of "trying to keep the customer happy" and i know 100% that most of mine wouldnt have them done in the rain

The customer is most definatly NOT always right.

I have the same view as your ex partner, however, like you I am stacked out with work.

Maybe he's just not good at his job.

I am, customers like me, but I don't let them run my business.

If I remember right Matt you said on another thread that you can't earn £150 in a day.

Maybe you being stacked out has more to do with being cheap. ;)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2006, 07:36:57 pm »

Glad I'm not on me own again on this one. ;D

I think it speaks volumes that when we were discussing Christmas tips a few months back, a lot of people on here had between £30-100, I had over £350 from my small round.(I've only got 16 days a month).

matt

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2006, 08:01:02 pm »

If I remember right Matt you said on another thread that you can't earn £150 in a day.

Maybe you being stacked out has more to do with being cheap. ;)

cheap i am not :)

i was speaking to a guy who cleaned a house in my road, i charge 1.50 more than him for the same house

why i dont earn that much, is because if a customer starts to chat, i dont cut them short and get on my way

i know its my downfall, but its allso part of why customers like me

i think ;)

poles apart

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2006, 08:03:06 pm »
I always clean in the rain. As someone said earlier, don't give your customers a choice as they will most probably say no!

What's the difference in cleaning windows when it's dry only for it to rain as soon as you've finished or to clean them in the rain - none!

It rains for the most part 11 months a year in this country so if we didn't work in it we'd have the shortest career ever!

Start as you mean to go on - if you've already given the excuse of rain then it's hard to turn them around but if you're just starting or changing over to wfp then now is the time to lay down your conditions. Sounds harsh I know but I'm in business to support my family not anyone elses! :)

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 08:08:48 pm »
I always clean in the rain.

Poles,

Tell us what your refusal rate is, and what do you do if someone says, 'not this month, mate'?

gsw

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 08:21:17 pm »
I still cannot understand the difference in cleaning IN the rain or it raining 5 minutes after you have cleaned,
what happens if your customers start watching the weather squeeky and then telling you "not to worry mate, its sposed to rain tomorrow or the next day!"

clean em whatever the weather and let them find a squeeky if they dont like it

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 08:29:08 pm »
I still cannot understand the difference in cleaning IN the rain or it raining 5 minutes after you have cleaned,
what happens if your customers start watching the weather squeeky and then telling you "not to worry mate, its sposed to rain tomorrow or the next day!"

If I get that, then it's their one chance.
A second turn-away in dry weather and they're history.
Everyone deserves a chance.

poles apart

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 08:29:15 pm »
Tosh
I've only once ever had someone say 'not today as the weather is too bad' and then asked if I could come back next week. My reply was 'how do you know if it's going to be OK next week'. I'd travelled to Cardiff to do this job so I wasn't best pleased. I didn't go back for six weeks (it's on a six weekly run) and they've never said it again! 8)
My work is mainly blocks of flats, housing associations and offices. I don't do any 'houses' as such as it's too much hassle especially as I'm using a trailer system.

I still get moaners but I always carry on regardless and smile(or pretend I can't hear them!) ;D

matt

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 08:30:06 pm »

people except it might rain, but if its raining thats a different matter

On this subject, i still do downstairs the trad way, when i change the WFP for all, then it might be a different matter, as the glass is left wet anyways

Johnboyfree

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 08:37:42 pm »
I will clean in the rain if its not too bad,but not in high winds.strange thing is...the best time to clean windows and cars is in the rain, ???

dai

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 09:55:56 pm »
Worked till 2pm and it lashed down all day. Put my hill walking jacket on and got stuck in. I forgot my waterproof trousers and I

dai

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 10:14:37 pm »
I worked in the pouring rain till 2 pm. Even my hanky was wringing wet in my trouser pocket.
One customer said that she was surprised to see me working in such weather. I told her that it made no difference with WFP, and that if I had the day off every time it rained, I would have to charge considerably more in order to make a living.
Although my hill walking jacket kept me dry on top, I had forgotten my water proof trousers.
I was feeling cold and miserable but determined to carry on. Then my phone rang,
It my wife telling me that the lawyer from the immigration advisory service had been on the phone. We have won our appeal against the home office refusal to grant visas for my wife's two little girls in Indonesia.
Eighteen months of fighting for justice, and stress I never want to go through again.
I packed up and headed for home, tears of pure joy and elation cascading down my cheeks.
Thank you God, I don't care if it rains for a month. Dai

Pro_Clean

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 10:29:16 pm »
Tosh,

;)

LMFAO! ;D

mark dew

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 10:36:56 pm »
I couldn't always clean to a good enough standard in the rain doing it trad. That is rain like today.
If i couldn't detail quicker than the windows got wet i would notice a slight smear around the edges.
Now i use wfp on most jobs the weather isn't as important to me.
Didn't clean today though.

We have won our appeal against the home office refusal to grant visas for my wife's two little girls in Indonesia.
Eighteen months of fighting for justice, and stress I never want to go through again.
I packed up and headed for home, tears of pure joy and elation cascading down my cheeks.
Thank you God, I don't care if it rains for a month. Dai

I like reading your posts and perspective on things Dai. You remind me of an old fashoined bloke in the nicest sense of the meaning.
I'm pleased for you.
Enjoy your older years. ;D

brett walker

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2006, 10:46:58 pm »
Interesting thread, i think the key is to train your customers explain you can wfp in the rain or make an explanation letter this may help.  I've only ever cleaned a few in light rain but to be honest i dont feel comfortable working in the rain because of what the customer will say.  After reading some of the above im thinking of cleaning more in the rain
Theres always bound to be a few complaints but im thinking if its explained correctly just like changing them from trad to wfp it will make life easier

What really cheeses me off is when you do somebodies windows when its dry and they say'it'll rain now youve been' i get this a lot so ive started telling them that the rain doesnt dirty the windows its the dirt in the air.  So i am getting them prepared

Brett.

busydaffodil

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2006, 10:56:59 pm »
For DAI

Congrats on your fabulous news.   Who cares what the weather had in store for you....your news is like a ray of sunshine.   Wishing you a wonderful future!!!

pjulk

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2006, 11:13:23 pm »
i dont feel comfortable working in the rain because of what the customer will say

Im exactly the same thats why when customers ask for there gutters to be cleaned i tell them i only do it in the rain.
I also do fasia cleans in the rain and tell the customers its the best time to do it as the rain helps soften the dirt and you get better results ( probably does not make any differance but it works )

Today i went out and gave a few quotes and its been raining hard all day and windy.

I got both of the people i quoted for and they both asked when can i do it.
So i said well im here now and they both went for it i couldn't believe it.

Before when i have tried working in the rain i had nothing but moans so i stopped it but will still work in light showers.

If its says off for about 5 or 6 hours tomorrow i will be ok and not worry to much about the rest of the week.
But i have a large gutter job thats been in need of doing for about a month so if it rains i will go and do that

Paul

L plate

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2006, 11:47:35 pm »
As a new be I don’t want to teach my granddad to suck eggs but if you really want to wok in rain (wfp) do so its all about marketing  the customers you know well trust you as you always do a good job so put out a flyer or news letter that you will be doing there windows on a Monday  or when ever and you will be doing them that day every 4 or 6 weeks come rain or shine as most of your customer stayed with you when you went wfp (they trust you) so they will stay with you if you start to work in the rain but always trust your work and give them your guarantee that when it stops raining and the windows are dry they will be perfect if not you will redo them but remember if some one calls you to tell you its ok but not as good as normal go round strait away and redo them with a smile on your face its better to 20 and redo 2 or 3 but this will stop when they know you will never let your work be less than 100%

L plate

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2006, 12:11:02 am »
Dhoo!!!! should have said don’t want to sound as if I’m teaching my granddad

Trevor Knight

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2006, 06:31:13 am »
Agree with you in principle L Plate although I wouldn't recommend a specific day, a week yes but not a day as that narrows your flexibility down too much and there is more likelyhood that you will not be able to return on that specific day. We tell customers we will be in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th week of each month, whatever it is for them and they are fine with that.

Trev  :D

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2006, 06:33:43 am »
Best get ot quick lads. Your 1 day of no rain is here :-*

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2006, 05:53:57 pm »
Well we had a few showers here in Chepstow, South East Wales, but not enough to disrupt the smooth-running of Tosh and ABC Window Cleaning.

After gearing myself up for a wet day; it turned out quite pleasant.

I almost wish we had more rain!

JohnL

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2006, 07:12:04 pm »
Well done Dai, best of luck for you and your family  :)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

dai

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2006, 08:14:24 pm »
Thanks for your good wishes guys and girls. I wouldn't be any happier if I had won that 17 million jackpot last week. My faith in British justice is restored.
It's a pity that the entry clearance officer got it wrong, the Kids could have been here at school 18 months ago.
Every cloud has a silver lining, so they say, and all the clouds we had yesterday certainly did.
I'm not a religious guy, but I was moved by the number of my customers that were actually praying for us. Bless them all. Dai

simbo

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2006, 08:37:25 pm »
like it or not, 50% of customers will not think much of us cleaning in the rain and as far as i know rain collects airbourn dust which dirties the windows and keeps us in work, as far as i am concerned, customers need to be kept happy and if we lose a few days so what you all know how much money you can earn
your never going to be poor
each of us runs our business to suit, so if you can get away with cleaning in the rain fair play, if you cannot relax and enjoy your family if you are lucky enough to have one
simbo

Johnboyfree

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2006, 08:49:03 pm »
Thanks for your good wishes guys and girls. I wouldn't be any happier if I had won that 17 million jackpot last week. My faith in British justice is restored.
It's a pity that the entry clearance officer got it wrong, the Kids could have been here at school 18 months ago.
Every cloud has a silver lining, so they say, and all the clouds we had yesterday certainly did.
I'm not a religious guy, but I was moved by the number of my customers that were actually praying for us. Bless them all. Dai
We all moan about the weather and what we should or shouldnt do me included,its only when you read about things like this that you realise how much we have...and are eternaly grateful for....congratulations Dai,you shouldnt have had to wait that long,now you can get on with life as it should be.....Bills....kids....Bills ;D ;D

Trevor Knight

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2006, 08:51:43 pm »
Not sure where you get your stats from Simbo.

like it or not, 50% of customers will not think much of us cleaning in the rain

We have over 1600 customers all of which we clean regardless of the weather and have maybe 10 complaints. They complain the weather is bad not that we have cleaned them?

Must have nice customers on our books  ;)

simbo

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2006, 08:55:49 pm »
my customers must be crap then as i know most will not be happy but, hey i have other work as well as windows so i suppose i can ride the weather easier, i love being out cleaning but as with all jobs you easily get bored so looked for other services asswell and working out just grand
cheers simbo

Trevor Knight

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2006, 07:24:47 am »
Nice one Simbo, am sure your customers are not crap either. I just concentrate on W/C as thats what we are geared up for specifically. I know there is plenty to look for with gutters/patio cleaning etc... but can't be arsed with all that.

I guess if I had other fish to fry then I would be likewise and maybe not w/c in the rain.

Good luck, best wishes, Trev

Morph

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2006, 11:49:22 am »
There is no way any of my clients would want windows cleaned today!

I have totally waterproof clothing, from head to foot, but not for heavy rain like today.
That's it, rest of the day off.  Plenty of other things to do.......... in between seeing anything interesting on here.

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2006, 05:21:37 pm »
How on earth do some of you guys 'know' what your customers think?

It's like anything else in life, before you try it, you really dont 'know' about it.

Get some waterproofs on, and go clean windows!

Morph

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2006, 05:50:47 pm »

DOH!

Because I have been a window cleaner for 19 years and most of my residential clients have asked me not to do them in the rain, so I don't.
Like I tell the guy who cuts my hair how I like it...He doesn't say, "Tough mate that's how I do it!"
Same with every service, within reason.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2006, 06:13:24 pm »
Like I tell the guy who cuts my hair how I like it...He doesn't say, "Tough mate that's how I do it!"
Very good point. The best yet.

My customers are used to me turning up in dry weather for 9 years, and the same again before that when Ian did some of them.

I can't all of a sudden change that after nearly 2 decades. :o

JM123

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2006, 06:16:37 pm »
YES YOU CAN

Ballymena N.I

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »
Why would I want to?
I'm happy as things are.
Why get wet? ???

I don't have wfp to fund.

JM123

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2006, 06:21:42 pm »
WFP costs about the same to run as trad so why you say that??  Plus would you not rather be able to take the nice sunny days off and work in the not so good days??

Ballymena N.I

rosskesava

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2006, 06:41:13 pm »
This morning I reckoned it would rain on and off for most of the day which it did add to that the wind along the coast was gusting up to 50mph - we didn't work.

We'll work in light showers as it is hardly financially viable to stop work everytime a drop of rain appears but if it's raining proper, we don't work.

Most of our resindentual customers don't like us doing their windows in the rain and that is it. It is their windows and their choice. If I didn't like it I'd dump them as customers.

As for rain, I think there is a lot more coming so for me at least, a few days off here and there. It's just a pity over half our work is commercial which gets done rain, wind or shine.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2006, 06:41:38 pm »

WFP costs about the same to run as trad so why you say that?? Plus would you not rather be able to take the nice sunny days off and work in the not so good days??
::)

Hmmm.
I spend £15-20 every 3 months on rubbers, blades, liquid etc....
So that's less than £2 a week.
Sometimes there's other bits, but those are the definates.

Van lease or payments?
More fuel(heavy load)?
Resin?
Brushes?
Hose parts...maintainance etc....
Not mention initial outlay, possibly on credit.

Like to see you pay for that lot with the above figures. ;D

JM123

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2006, 06:59:28 pm »
Sed/carbon filter every 4months - £30
11ltr refill resin 12months  - £40
Extra fuel - £20 (max) month
Brushes - last for years
Hose parts etc - the odd £3 every month or so
Initial outlay - £2500

So running costs are about the same but then I paid £2500 to start up, but then I make about £20 an hour more than I used to so thats 125hrs work extra to pay off equipment, so now all it costs me is about £400 - £450 per year compared to £80 for ladder work.  How long do I need to work off the difference??? 1 day.

Not knocking trad at all cuz I still work trad on shops etc

Ballymena N.I

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2006, 07:03:15 pm »
... but then I make about £20 an hour more than I used to ..
Used a 2 inch squeegee before then? ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2006, 07:04:27 pm »
Wfp casts 10 times more to run than wfp , i have £13'000 of reciepts to prove it ,just for last year.

Mind you i do have 2 fully equiped vans if i was trad i would not need the vans or double the fuel bill for carting all that weight about.

Also every week it seems like i have to buy something new , one week its a pole the next a new hose then loads of fittings then  a bag of resin then a new brush it never ends.

All i can say if you think it costs the same you must of used some rubber.

Dave

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2006, 07:05:44 pm »
Brushes last for years.

Well i have gone through 4 ,i think i must be rubbing too hard

Dave

P.s My Ionic pole broke to day   :(

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2006, 07:11:22 pm »
I read that building sites are full of Poles, you could pick one up there.

Or was that Norwegiens? ;D

simbo

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2006, 08:33:27 pm »
i am no wfp expert but without a doubt earnings definately go up and this hass gone completely off topic, but now i have wf aswell i can get my work done in less days and book in more of my other work win! win! win! and don't mind getting days off
cheers all simbo

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2006, 08:46:13 pm »

DOH!

Because I have been a window cleaner for 19 years and most of my residential clients have asked me not to do them in the rain, so I don't.

Your telling me that you have spoke to ALL your customers about working in the rain?

I doubt that ::)

As for your hair cut, first im jealous, im bald >:(

Second for those with hair, there are many possible styles.
How many ways can a window BE clean?
It's either clean or not.

If it is the same degree of clean, no matter if it rains or not, where is the problem.....

......answer, it's in our heads.

eddie d

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2006, 08:55:05 pm »
hi stu i saw your van last time i was in southend .it was parked up off southchurch rd i think it was  i was cleaning a plc called st francis court .and it was raining .i think you have to work in all weathers or you will be a poor wc.99% of customers dont care and realize that you have to make a living.
ed

eddie d

« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2006, 09:06:02 pm »
yes squeaky it is a lot dearer .
but i wont be falling off the pole.
also change is possible ,not easy . after 15 years i realized that im doing this to make money not for fun .and you dont make any csah looking out the window waiting for the rain to stop.
eddie

rosskesava

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2006, 09:18:28 pm »
Although tomorrow and Friday it's all commercial work we do fit in a few 'richer' customers as they're on route and they pay well so they get 5 star treatment.

The 4 I have just phoned said not tomorrow because of the weather.

With regards the extra cost of wfp? I keep accurate records and since we've been using wfp (as well as trad) our profits have increased by 23% for the first 4 months of this year compared to last year and that is excluding 14 jobs worth £900 a month that could not be done with trad methods.

Overall, for the same time last year our work is up 8% and that's with ditching quiet a number of small, time consuming work.

Our wfp costs for the first 4 months was £156 and the extra diesel I estimate at £80. Trad equipment for the same period was £139.

Wfp as an expense was 9% of our running costs and trad stuff was 7%.

So as far as I'm concerned and the bottom line, profit - which is all I concern myself about, there is no question that wfp more than pays for itself and in terms of efficiency of time and money spent, for us it returns a much larger profit pro rata than trad methods.

It can also be used for some commercial work on days when trad style is out the question and the quality of finish doesn't matter that much because of either high winds and salt, or rain.

It's also more hassle and a real pain in the backside and there is one jobs I hate doing every evening, filling up those rotten tanks. Just as I hate the complaints about it from some customers.

Cheers

matt

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2006, 10:23:06 pm »
i cleaned a few this afternoon (after is stopped raining)

these were all older people (the younger 1's are in work, thus dont know if i clean in the rain or not), 4 out of 6 said they WOULD NOT want them cleaned in the rain

ALLTHOUGH

5 out of 6 said they would have the whole house done with WFP as it cleans the frames

rosskesava

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2006, 10:29:33 pm »
Matt

Wrong place to ask this question I know but is it worth using 2 resin cartridges for that extra oomph for polishing?

With one we get 007. Cheers

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2006, 10:39:39 pm »
Ross

If you are cleaning windows with a tds of 7 that is why you are getting complaints.

To date i have not lost one customer to the quality of work with wfp.

I have had 3 complaints so far but not about spots ,just because they dont like wfp and those same ones used to moan about the weather , 50p rise etc.

I only ever wfp with oootds . one day i noticed the windows i was cleaning were drying slightly different than normal (Got a trained eye now) I thought thats strange must be something wrong here and sure enough i tested my tds and it read 002.

I think the windows still dried ok but i would not chance anything over 000. I will start another topic for the drying effect with a higher tds

Dave

rosskesava

« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2006, 11:56:11 pm »
Dave

I will post again when you start the new post.

Cheers for that.

matt

« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2006, 04:35:04 pm »
Matt

Wrong place to ask this question I know but is it worth using 2 resin cartridges for that extra oomph for polishing?

i would change the resin in your cart at 007

mine has crept up to 007 before, BUT now the water out of the RO is 006, my reading at the mo after DI resin is 006 (thus its dead and needs changing)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2006, 09:38:16 pm »
Matt

Shaken but not stirred?