dai

Re: Shurflo battery - no life left in it!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 07:52:47 pm »
The plates can overheat, and if its not vented properly it will explode
Jeff, I know what you mean but not all car chargers are the same. I have a choice of charging for a fast charge at 13 amps, or charging overnight at 2 amps. I charge my leisure battery at 2 amps. This drops off to zero when the battery is fully charged.

I have been given a big charger that is designed for mobility scooter gel batteries. I havn't used it yet as I'm not sure it would be suitable for leisure batteries.
Does any one know if you can charge leisure batteries with these? Dai

Tim Morton

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 09:50:57 pm »
The plates can overheat, and if its not vented properly it will explode
Jeff, I know what you mean but not all car chargers are the same. I have a choice of charging for a fast charge at 13 amps, or charging overnight at 2 amps. I charge my leisure battery at 2 amps. This drops off to zero when the battery is fully charged.

I have been given a big charger that is designed for mobility scooter gel batteries. I havn't used it yet as I'm not sure it would be suitable for leisure batteries.
Does any one know if you can charge leisure batteries with these? Dai

You should be fine using your car charger at 2amps to charge your leisure battery, although at 2amps and with a 85Ah battery you would need to leave it on charge for 40-50hrs to charge it from flat. ( although you should never totally discharge any battery whether leisure or sealed lead acid )

Charging a leisure battery with a sealed lead acid / sealed gel battery charger wont do your battery any harm, but it could do damage to the charger as a leisure battery will load the charger more than a gel/sealed lead acid battery would. Having said that, there are some SLA/gel chargers which can charge both types of battery, but most will say on them if they are specifically designed for charging both.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

dai

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 10:04:29 pm »
Thanks Tim. It does say on the big charcher that it should only be used for Gel batteries. Dai

Stevie G

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 07:37:40 pm »
MAPLINS £20 NICE ONE DAI. USED THE BACKPACK YESTERDAY SEEMS OK THE ONE THAT CAME FROM USA WITH THE BACKPACK (6-7 WEEKS OLD ) WONT TAKE A CHARGE SO I TAKE IT THE BATT IS A DUFF ONE. THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE DARREN.