NWH

Re: Van broken down
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2019, 08:11:22 pm »
Now you're wriggling WW.   The thread started with the purchase and breakdown of a brand new van.

But I'll play - let's say your 5 year old VW costs you £12K and my 5 year old "Other" costs  £6K.

By the time we get to year 10 your VW is worth £8K and my "Other" is worth £3K.

You lose £4K, I lose £3K.  ;D

... ... ... ... ... ...

Also you said ...

"No sensible person with any common sense is going to buy a brand new vehicle for themself considering all vehicles regardless of make and model lose the biggest depreciation in the first 36 months, that's just plain ridiculous."

However - had this happened to KS with a secondhand van - and the previous one, then would he have got a replacement van and/or the problem fixed for free or would he be in for a four figure repair bill?
What van other than a transporter are you saying will be worth 5 grand after 10 years,I can’t think of 1 that’s why I got a transporter.
If I wanted to get the van I have now it would cost about 30 grand I could get 2 vivaros for that but I wouldn’t get half the comfort or reliability,you get what you pay for they don’t charge 25-30 grand for nothing for those vans if they were the same as a vivaro or a Citroen dispatch people would save 15-18 grand and buy 1 of them.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2019, 09:04:05 pm »
Now you're wriggling WW.   The thread started with the purchase and breakdown of a brand new van.

But I'll play - let's say your 5 year old VW costs you £12K and my 5 year old "Other" costs  £6K.

By the time we get to year 10 your VW is worth £8K and my "Other" is worth £3K.

You lose £4K, I lose £3K.  ;D

... ... ... ... ... ...

Also you said ...

"No sensible person with any common sense is going to buy a brand new vehicle for themself considering all vehicles regardless of make and model lose the biggest depreciation in the first 36 months, that's just plain ridiculous."

However - had this happened to KS with a secondhand van - and the previous one, then would he have got a replacement van and/or the problem fixed for free or would he be in for a four figure repair bill?
What van other than a transporter are you saying will be worth 5 grand after 10 years,I can’t think of 1 that’s why I got a transporter.

I haven't said that.

If I wanted to get the van I have now it would cost about 30 grand I could get 2 vivaros for that but I wouldn’t get half the comfort or reliability,you get what you pay for they don’t charge 25-30 grand for nothing for those vans if they were the same as a vivaro or a Citroen dispatch people would save 15-18 grand and buy 1 of them.

People do buy Vivaros and Dispatches. And according to your figures they can put 15K away as well.

Not me though.

It's a game of three halves!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2019, 09:40:27 pm »
NWH you are losing the same or similar money but... you are just paying more for the privilege! ;D

Why do you think the roads aren't packed with transporters?
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2019, 09:17:46 am »
I reckon I’d still get close to 10k for mine I know a guy that works at Vauxhall’s he said to me what a lot of people don’t realise is that after 4 years there balloon will be more than the vans value on some of there vans,if you’ve purchased a cheaper van and they are everywhere you look it’ll be worth a lot less than 1 of better quality.
I spend a lot of time in mine I want all the extras and comfort,I don’t want to drive 50-60 miles and get out with back ache well worth the extra money I keep mine for longer than 4 years I’ll happily pay another 100-150 a month for a top van.

EandM

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2019, 10:54:28 am »
Was this a 2.2 or the new 2.0 ?

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2019, 11:10:02 am »
I reckon I’d still get close to 10k for mine I know a guy that works at Vauxhall’s he said to me what a lot of people don’t realise is that after 4 years there balloon will be more than the vans value on some of there vans,if you’ve purchased a cheaper van and they are everywhere you look it’ll be worth a lot less than 1 of better quality.
I spend a lot of time in mine I want all the extras and comfort,I don’t want to drive 50-60 miles and get out with back ache well worth the extra money I keep mine for longer than 4 years I’ll happily pay another 100-150 a month for a top van.

Comfort and preference are a different justification to financial/business matters. Although the former are usually applied to help  justify the latter!
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2019, 12:52:00 pm »
Hi Peavy I just like the best I can afford i do at least 60 miles a day and the VW does it better than the others,yeah it’s a lot more money but like I say I’m willing to pay it.
I don’t care it’s a work van it’s where I spend a lot of time.
I nearly brought a car last month that was gonna cost me 600 a month when I thought about it I thought I’ll only use it weekends,I do 90% of my driving during working hours so I cancelled it.

Slacky

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2019, 01:25:57 pm »
Should have got a German van lol.

Like an overpriced Volkswagen?

They may be overpriced to begin with but they hold their value better than any other van out there so who loses more in the long run? Longest van I've ever has is a VW transporter, and still worth a good resale price, can't complain

Who loses out in the long run?

Okay lets say a VW buyer pays £25K for a brand new Transporter and someone else goes and pays £17K for A.N. Other van.

In ten years lets say the Transporter is worth 10K and A. N. Other is worth 5K.

VW owner loses 15K
A.N. Other loses  12K

No sensible person with any common sense is going to buy a brand new vehicle for themself considering all vehicles regardless of make and model lose the biggest depreciation in the first 36 months, that's just plain ridiculous. Buy a secondhand vehicle with lowest milage but value and good servicing you can find and then compare a vw transporter to say a vivaro and I bet the owner of the VW loses the least in depreciation after say 5 years of use

What’s load of dross.

NWH

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2019, 02:24:12 pm »
Lol what’s dross about that then I know what I’d rather drive every day of the working week and it wouldn’t be a vivaro,half the van half the price   

NWH

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2019, 02:27:01 pm »
If you are going to keep the vehicle for more than 4-5 years I’d go for the better van every time,I don’t want to be taking everything out and having it all fitted again Heater and all. Before you know it your dropping it back to the dealer and pulling it al out again.

Slacky

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2019, 02:57:24 pm »
Lol what’s dross about that then I know what I’d rather drive every day of the working week and it wouldn’t be a vivaro,half the van half the price

Try getting hold of a second hand vehicle if everyone has that attitude.