RPCCS

Pricing
« on: December 24, 2017, 01:55:15 pm »
How do you all go about pricing work, do you do it on piecework, i.e. so much per window, or hourly rate?

I started off 28 years ago far too cheap, in order to get work, then didn't put prices up regular enough., and was charging per hour.
Now I have more than enough work to keep me on my toes, so if anyone starts messing, then I show them the door.
Most of my work is now done per window, but have a few jobs where its easier to price per hour, for those, its a certain amount of windows each time, not the whole lot. So that is priced per hours its a commercial job, another i have is a large country farmhouse, where I used to rent a cottage from them, again she doesn't have the whole lot done each time, its like the commercial job, so much outside and so much inside.

Cheers Rich

֍Winp®oClean֍

Re: Pricing
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 02:03:46 pm »
I weigh the customer/situation up then price to the maximum I think I can possibly get from it. Dead simple.👍🍻
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 06:05:14 pm »
Never ever price by the hour in window cleaning you will end up earning very little do you know how many windows you can clean in an hour with WFP.

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 06:10:52 pm »
Set yourself a minimum price. For me in south yorkshire itis £10 and thats for a box standard 2/3 bedroom terraced house.  Then weigh up the situation and price up accordingly and especially if you have an established round now, as in, does it matter if they say no to your price
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 12:32:32 am »
I charge per frame. For bay windows I charge for each side.

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 09:41:24 am »
Never ever price by the hour in window cleaning you will end up earning very little do you know how many windows you can clean in an hour with WFP.

I price per hour and I'm doing OK Nigel  :)
price higher/work harder!

Slacky

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 09:53:38 am »

But if you allow for that......

RPCCS

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 03:28:57 pm »
Not really looking for advice chaps, if that's how it appeared, sorry,. I have been established 28 years, was just curious as how other folk priced their work.

I have an average price per frame, with small windows being charged less, and bays, patio doors slightly more. I do the same with conservatory roofs, charge per panel.
Cheers Rich

NWH

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 03:39:33 pm »
I’ve said before you can clean loads of windows in an hour do you have jobs that are £80-100 upwards if you do and you can clean them in an hour how does that figure in your head then. I have big places I can clean in under an hour WFP if I charged by the hour they’d be getting a bargain in my eyes,I price per job or what I want for that particular job there’s things to take into account like how often etc you are limiting yourself in a big way what is acievable in a day poleing Windows if you charge by the hour. I have a minimum charge on houses no matter how big they are even if it’s a 10- 15 minute job at the end of the day I want to earn money,are you saying you know what your going to earn if you work for 8 hours a day every day you go out,I sometimes do jobs I know when I can catch up by earning 2 days money in a day to make up for weather

Bernie Green

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 11:32:39 am »
I just charge what I think I can get from the customer for the job. There are WCs round here quoting £30 for an average 3 bed semi so I am way below top money these days.
All my new customers come from recommendation so they probably already know what I am charging their neighbour/friend. Not much scope for haggling there.

Marc Stock

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 11:34:40 am »
Start off on min price. Mine down here is £25. But it differs from area to area.

Marc Stock

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 11:38:45 am »
I’ve said before you can clean loads of windows in an hour do you have jobs that are £80-100 upwards if you do and you can clean them in an hour how does that figure in your head then. I have big places I can clean in under an hour WFP if I charged by the hour they’d be getting a bargain in my eyes,I price per job or what I want for that particular job there’s things to take into account like how often etc you are limiting yourself in a big way what is acievable in a day poleing Windows if you charge by the hour. I have a minimum charge on houses no matter how big they are even if it’s a 10- 15 minute job at the end of the day I want to earn money,are you saying you know what your going to earn if you work for 8 hours a day every day you go out,I sometimes do jobs I know when I can catch up by earning 2 days money in a day to make up for weather

Good post.

You pay your staff an hourly rate. You are not an employed member of staff to your customer are you?

You agree a price..they choose to use you.

You agree an houly rate...you are their b***for the hour... 😁

Dry Clean

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 01:20:08 pm »
Everybody prices by the hour what you want for that hours work will depend on what your doing, I would certainly want
more for an hours FSG cleaning than I would for an hour of repeat window cleaning.

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 08:12:35 pm »
Everybody prices by the hour what you want for that hours work will depend on what your doing, I would certainly want
more for an hours FSG cleaning than I would for an hour of repeat window cleaning.

This is one of the reasons i dropped conny roofs and FSG jobs for good , either they did not want to pay the revised prices or they expected the same hourly rate as windows , they all time you , even if you think they dont , its human nature unless they are so loaded it doesnt matter , mine sadly are not , i got a fair few priveledged ones but no premiership footie players or lottery winners on my books !

The money is in repeat windows at a good price for me .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

NWH

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 08:53:51 pm »
Exactly that’s why when you say you want 200 to wash all there weatherboard down in 2 hours it makes them think when you only want 40 to clean there windows in an hour,I never get into how I price with customers I just give them a price for what they want me to clean no different to any other trade.

Marc Stock

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 10:03:01 am »
i dropped conny roofs and FSG jobs for good

I hate conny roofs. I'd happily pull down conservatorys for free.  Awful things.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 09:47:13 pm »

This is one of the reasons i dropped conny roofs and FSG jobs for good , either they did not want to pay the revised prices or they expected the same hourly rate as windows , they all time you , even if you think they dont , its human nature unless they are so loaded it doesnt matter , mine sadly are not , i got a fair few priveledged ones but no premiership footie players or lottery winners on my books !

The money is in repeat windows at a good price for me .

really?most of my customers are out when i clean whether its windows or add on jobs.even if they re in they never mention the price or the time taken.(they either accept my price for the job  or not.....i dont care either way TBH.)
price higher/work harder!

slap bash

Re: Pricing New
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 12:50:09 pm »
     So many start off as a one-man show and find when they need to employ. They cannot make ends meet. Was offered some work for sale the other day. By a young man having 410 properties. As he employed 2 fellas and could not make ends meet. Because of a flawed pricing system and paying his staff left him short each month. Now he wants to sell all his lowly priced work as he just cannot clean them on his own and will not be able to increase prices without a customer revolt.
     It's so easy to work yourself into a corner thinking you can work cheaper than all the competition, who charge a lot more. All newbies and some more experienced need to realise there is a very good reason why anothers charge more. The true  guide to charge is 25% WAGES 50% FOR THE BUSINESS AND TAX AND 25% FOR YOURSELF.