absolutecleaning

Written warning letter for employee
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:18:47 am »
We need to give a cleaner a written warning for failing to turn up due to going out the night before, not calling us and ignoring several attempts to get in touch with her.

Has anyone had to do this before?

I was thinking I would need to try and find a section in her contract which she has broken and then quote this - what do you think?

Cheers

Si

vacman

Re: Written warning letter for employee
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:45:05 am »
Well i would be reluctant to be too harsh, you don't want them to lose the plot on a clients premises or stiching you up for it. No matter what they have done to annoy you, they can give you the two-fingers and walk away. Then the fun starts  >:(

Can you not have an informal disscussion to see whether or not they are in the right job?

Helen

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:01:50 am »
We need to give a cleaner a written warning for failing to turn up due to going out the night before, not calling us and ignoring several attempts to get in touch with her.

Has anyone had to do this before?

I was thinking I would need to try and find a section in her contract which she has broken and then quote this - what do you think?

Cheers

Si
Yes, we have.
How may times has this happened with this one and what is your wording in the discipline section of the contract?

Helen

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 10:04:01 am »
No matter what they have done to annoy you, they can give you the two-fingers and walk away. Then the fun starts  >:(

If they are that sort of person, then you are better off without them as you will never have complete confidence in them (or as much as you can have!)

absolutecleaning

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:51:07 pm »
No matter what they have done to annoy you, they can give you the two-fingers and walk away. Then the fun starts  >:(

If they are that sort of person, then you are better off without them as you will never have complete confidence in them (or as much as you can have!)

Couldnt agree more - you need to have confidence that they will not and you need to cover yourself if the worst comes to worst and you have to sack them eventually.

what is your wording in the discipline section of the contract?

We have just used a standard template (I think it was from businesslink).  It lists the procedure (i.e. verbal, written etc) and what can be considered gross misconduct etc.

This hasnt happened before - she has only had a day off sick in a year and a half and if she is late then it is only 10 minutes occassionally.  I can accept this and occassional sickness but not the complete lack of communication yesterday.

Any advice based on that and your experiences Helen?

Cheers

Si

Robert Parry

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:30:05 pm »
Si,

It is vital that you follow the correct legal procedures in this matter.

By your own admission you are happy with her work and timekeeping in general, so I would suggest that you take a few deep breaths, count to 100 and look at this situation logically.

All of us from time to time do stupid things, my advice would be to talk to her, and explain that you believe that this incident was out of character, but that you are trying to run a business, and that in the present climate, you cannot and will not allow behaviour that could lead to termination of any of your contracts.

You should at this meeting, try to find out if she is experiencing any problems at work or in her personal life, this has to be done tactfully, this could explain why she went off the deep end so to speak.

Depending on her answers, and attitude, you may then wish to inform her that this meeting should be regarded as her first verbal warning, and as such, will be noted on her employment record for the required legal period.
(This assumes of course, that you have had not had cause to issue either, verbal or written warnings to her before this)

I see many people on this and other forums, complaining that they cant find or keep good employee's, this is a two way street, there are many rules and regulations that govern the conduct of staff and employer's. Templates and other info off the net will only get you so far, there is no substitute for training, knowledge, experience and respect.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

A world of difference....

newbroom

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:11:16 pm »
Before you go completely in to the disciplinary procedure, give the employee a notice of unsatisfactory conduct. Sit them down and explain your issues regarding their performance. Also in the same letter you need to explain the required action they need to take to bring their performance upto the required standards. Finally you need to give them a deadline as to when you expect to see improvements in the employee's performance. If the emplyoyee hasn't improved by your dealine then take them through the disciplinary procedure.

vacman

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:34:33 pm »
Hello Si

Sorry you didnt care much for what I had to say before. The last two messages above mine contain some very sound advice, in my opinion. What is it that you hope to gain from implementing the disciplinary procedue? It is to convey how peed off you were with the employee, is it because you want her to leave, is it because you think it will encourage her to pull her socks up, is it because you think this is the 'done' think to do under the circumstances, are you wanting to play the hard boss etc? Please don't misunderstand me as i am not having a go, i am asking you what it is you want to see happen as an outcome.

Collybolly

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:37:14 pm »
Hello Si "absolutecleaning"  you have mail !!

absolutecleaning

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 08:14:43 am »
Vacman you are right there is some very sound advice in the posts since you commented but neither of the posters made comments about employees "stitching you up" or "giving the two fingers" which is what I thought displayed a strange attitude in your post.  As for your questions not really too sure is the answer I guess - perhaps a combination of your options.

Rob and Newbroom - well put points and certainly worth considering.  The employee in question works with my other half every day so we know her very well and she does have issues at home but I'm not sure where they come into this really.

When she eventually got in contact she thought that she would be sacked immediately.  My initial thoughts were not to do that but that something had to be done to ensure that it wouldnt happen again.

I will have a think about it over the rest of the weekend and see what to do.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Collyboy - could you send that again please.  I've only just updated email address in my profile.

Cheers

Si

Helen

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:47:57 am »

When she eventually got in contact she thought that she would be sacked immediately. 

Cheers

Si
To me that says a lot, that she expected to be sacked. Personally I would take her to one side before her next shift starts, have a talk about how she let you and herself down. This may just be enough for her not to do it again. You could go as far as to say that this is a verbal warning and confirm that in writing to her and mark it against her file. You can specifiy a term of time that should further disciplinary actions occur you will have no option other than to take further steps. Staff.....love 'em ;)