Big Al

Xmas
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »
Hi all

Hope the colds not affecting to many?!

Most offices are closed between Xmas and new year, do we charge them still, after all is not our choice?

Adam P

Re: Xmas
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:57:59 pm »
good question. would like to know how people deal with this? previous years i've just simply not charged as it was us doing it but this xmas we'll have staff doing most. also the same with bank holidays if offices are closed? i suppose if they let you know before the contract is made that they're off then you don't charge, but if a month or so ahead they say "oh btw we're off on monday" do i still charge?

Pristine Clean

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:32:39 pm »
Yes we charge.

Blimey we have 40 staff and I am not paying them out of my pocket.

Think about it. If you worked a 9 - 5 job you get paid for Christmas, bank holidays, and your normal holiday. When we draw up a contract we charge for all bank holidays and a few days extra to cover for Christmas.

We close anyway on the 24th December and return 2nd of January.

We have one or two staff on emergency call out. But its never happened yet.
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Pristine Clean

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:35:51 pm »
Ill add here,

If you go for a cleaning contract that is "open" on a bank holiday you need to check this. And make the necessary arrangements if you wish to take on such a contract for those days.
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Gilbert Sprous

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 07:59:08 pm »
I have it in my terms and conditions now so that there is no mistake that I have allowed for all closures and my price is a 12 month price.  I had one problem 2 years ago but have not had any problems since.  One thing I would like to warn about though, even if you are doing the cleaning you should charge and work the same as if you have someone in otherwise a client will complain about a change in serviec when you put someone in.  I am talking about an owner/operator will have a tendency to work extra time if they think the place needs a little extra attention but if you put someone in they will leave as soon as they get a chance if not before.  If you do not charge for Christmas and New years when you are in there the client will complain when you get someone in and now charge them.  Always try to keep a consistant approach regardless of who is doing the work, it will make it easier when you put someone in.  It is hard when you are doing the cleaning, I  must admit, you see something wrong you just want to clean it. 

Gilbert

Adam P

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:27:40 pm »
sorry for sounding a little silly dave but just want to clear this up so i am not mistaken as i've never had a 9-5 i have no idea how it works with xmas (i thought people didn't get paid for it).

so in the contract you say for instance you're charging to clean on monday and thursday. if xmas/any bank holiday falls on these days you don't clean but you still charge normal rate and pay staff normal pay? however if they say they're open those days and need it cleaned still you charge more on those days e.g. time and half to cover increased staff costs?.

i assume most would expect it as standard that they're paying for xmas even if not in?

Pristine Clean

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 06:57:36 am »
Surrey,

We charge for all bank holidays. We generally don't work them. The charge is normal rate.

If we do work on a bank holiday, we charge time and half.

Yes people get paid for bank holidays and their 20 days holiday entitlement.

We even price in the contract 20 days holiday for our staff and 20 days cover. Otherwise it comes out of your pocket and not into the business as profit.

Dave