arwyn evans

squeege problems
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:02:02 pm »
hi all,
just started out, im using the fanning method,im still leaving a trail of water on the sides of the windows
also ,when fanning,it doesnt dry straight away, but, after a while, its ok , it leaves like a wet rubber mark on the window, ive noticed some fine hairs/fabric on the rubber,
i wipe my blade whith a scrim ?
could this be the problem ,or could it be my technique? 
many thanks

[GQC] Tim

Re: squeege problems
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:14:10 pm »
hi all,
just started out, im using the fanning method,im still leaving a trail of water on the sides of the windows
also ,when fanning,it doesnt dry straight away, but, after a while, its ok , it leaves like a wet rubber mark on the window, ive noticed some fine hairs/fabric on the rubber,
i wipe my blade whith a scrim ?
could this be the problem ,or could it be my technique? 
many thanks

Hm, the trail of water on the sides of the window is a bit vague, but if it is what I think it is.....try cutting the edge horizontally, and vertically where you put your squeegee in, takes only 2 seconds, but it makes a big difference. (cutting the edge is holding your squeegee vertically (or horizontally), and wiping 2 Inch of glass clean with only the top of the rubber)

For the wet rubber mark (film) on the window, that sounds like your applying too much pressure. Try it on your own house, soap up the window, try one horizontal pass with normal pressure..still leaving a film? Try it again, this time using less pressure.

Doesn't work with all rubbers, you do need a razor sharp rubber for this, otherwise it will get worse with less pressure.

I'm not a pro, so if I'm wrong please correct me.

pjulk

Re: squeege problems
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:13:53 pm »
My guess is lack of experience.
The more you practice the better you get.
As you are just starting out it may be better for you to just go across the top wipe blade and continue this way until you gain a bit more experience.

Give it time and you will master the S style.

Paul

[GQC] Tim

Re: squeegee problems
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »
Yea, that's what I did for the first couple of months, just straight down method. And practise and practise on your own house before doing it on customer's houses.

One tip I'd like to give is cut your rubbers with a razor blade and use a guillotine method instead of using scissors, you'll guaranteed to get trails.