artie

WFP IS IT ECO FRIENDLY ?
« on: July 31, 2006, 04:54:23 pm »
I'm not a wc but I like the idea of becoming one.

However having observed wfp in action I was staggered at the amount of water wastage. Unless there is another way of using it  (quite possible ) the amount of water needed to do the job really was shocking compared to the trad method.

Ok its perhaps easier and faster but unless I'm being naive the I can't say that I felt that it was justified especially given the situation we have with what is becoming a scarce commodity.

i'm very interested in your comments

Morph

Re: WFP IS IT ECO FRIENDLY ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 05:04:16 pm »
No it's not Eco friendly in it's strict sense, but it's not dramatically damaging.  If you are the sort that saves your bathwater and dishwashing water and washing machine water....then don't become a WFPer. 
Mind you, don't become a fireman either...have you seen how much water they get through!
There's a balance in saving the environment and damaging the environment.
I shouldn't have had children because they now have children of their own and they get really dirty and use more bath water than I do with my wfp!  More rain fell in my garden in 20 minutes yesterday than I've used in the last month.
It's all relative...

artie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:11:08 pm »
On balance you could be right. I'm sure that all wfp users on this forum could make similar points. I think I was just very suprised at the amount required to do the job properly. Look at the amount used in car washes etc. just to keep you car clean ( I think the fire service may have a valid point for overuse ).

It must be safer as, generally, you are using ladders less.

I'm no eco warrior believe me just curious.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 06:20:31 pm »
I'm not a wc but I like the idea of becoming one.

However having observed wfp in action I was staggered at the amount of water wastage. Unless there is another way of using it  (quite possible ) the amount of water needed to do the job really was shocking compared to the trad method.

Ok its perhaps easier and faster but unless I'm being naive the I can't say that I felt that it was justified especially given the situation we have with what is becoming a scarce commodity.

i'm very interested in your comments

Hi Artie.
I agree that WFP does use a fair bit of water.  On an average day, maybe I use 350 - 400 litres.  It depends what sort of work I have on.  On maintenance cleans it is possible to use less water than you saw me using but on hotter days it is necessary to rinse more.

s.hughes

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 09:18:56 pm »
Its not just the water that you see being used, there is loads of water wasted when purifying the water. This isnt totaly bad as the water goes down the drain and then of course ends up backwith the water companies.

Steve

supernova77

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 12:20:29 am »
It must be safer as, generally, you are using ladders less.

Spot on! Thats why I use it.

I would rather use lots of water each day than worry about being up a ladder all the time!

Andy

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:27:02 am »
Maybe if the water companies concentrated on mending all the leaks in underground pipes and stopped wasting the millions of gallons each year we wouldn't have to worry about water at all!

Trev  ;)
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

mark dew

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:12:05 pm »
There is no water shortage.
It is a myth cooked up by companies (in cahoots with governments) who have a stake in making a profit out of selling water.
The world is 4/5 water and it all goes up into the air and back into the ground.
Sea levels are rising.
There is more available water now than there ever has been.
If this was a topic about drinking water i would agree there is a shortage.
Don't let the eco warriors kid you that you are damaging the environment.
What could be more green than giving water back to the earth?
What's happened in the south east is nothing short of a disgrace.

mark

steve m

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 11:18:35 pm »

firstly wes, the planet is4/5 water, but only1/5 is drinkable. wfp IS eco friendly, yes we do use a lot of water and yes it does go sraight down the drain, or even on the plants that are dying through lack of water. Now the eco bit, THE WATER IS PURE   this means free from impurities- chlorine, floride and of course detergents.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 07:48:43 am »
There is no water shortage.
It is a myth cooked up by companies (in cahoots with governments) who have a stake in making a profit out of selling water.
The world is 4/5 water and it all goes up into the air and back into the ground.
Sea levels are rising.
There is more available water now than there ever has been.
If this was a topic about drinking water i would agree there is a shortage.
Don't let the eco warriors kid you that you are damaging the environment.
What could be more green than giving water back to the earth?
What's happened in the south east is nothing short of a disgrace.

mark

The inefficient water company managements should be sacked and water returned to public ownership.  If I am unhappy with my gas or electric supplier I can switch.  I can't switch my water supplier though.  Therefore privatisation was of no benefit to the end consumer.  Give it back to public ownership and invest in the infrastructure from taxation and/or higher water rates.  Nobody wants to pay more but, being realistic, to avoid this situation happening every few years, we will all have to do so.  However, I prefer the thought of that money being re-invested rather than going in shareholder divis.