AquaMagic

Sole Traders or Ltd
« on: February 01, 2006, 10:59:34 am »
Hello im looking for some advice please.

Me and my father are setting up a carpet cleaning business and wondered if anyone could offer advice with regards to bieng Sole Traders or becoming a Ltd Co, what are the pro's and cons of each and are there any pitfalls i should watch out for. My over question would be about becoming VAT registered i believe you can do this even if not required, are they any advantages of this other than the obvious "more credible" image.

Id like to say thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to offer help.

Many thanks

Dene

Trevor Knight

Re: Sole Traders or Ltd
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:48:28 pm »
Hi Dene,

I would suggest operating as a sole trader to start with and see how business takes off. LTD companies are good but costly with accounts, time consuming and unless you are tendering for large commercial contracts not a necessity to start with. If you are raising lots of capitol from banks etc... to start your business and have high overheadss to begin with then maybe the LTD company is a potential, although nowadays its changed, if the company goes belly up they look at you and your personal situation before writing debts off. Not meaning to sound negative but just realistic.

Good luck hope you enjoy the carpet cleaning business. Where are you based out of interest??

regartds,

Trevor
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire