ArchieHughes

Ways to make revenue during winter?
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:46:06 am »
I'm in the process of starting up a WFP business, I am looking to start up next year and want to gain as much info as poss between now and then. My main concern is during the winter months when business must be slow due to customers not wanting their windows done during this time and wondered if anyone out their has suggestions for this, Do you concentrate on commercial during this time or simply make sure you eanr enough during the summer months to provide for the winter?

Any advice is benefical

Many Thanks

Richard Neal

Re: Ways to make revenue during winter?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:18:59 pm »
All of my work is 12 monthly, i never stop, if the weather is bad then i will work weekends and take on help until i catch up, last winter was very bad and i think all windys were hit by the snow and ice lasting as long as it did so i will try to have some savings just in case this year!
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

ArchieHughes

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:08 am »
Surely your customer % must drop during the winter months as some must not really want their windows cleaned during the winter months?

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:53:42 pm »
very few don't want doing. Windows get dirtier in winter. Gutter cleans needed and especially in run up to xmas they dont want their family thinking they are dirty. Only thing that slows you up is weather so need money put by to cover v dodgy days. Can work in moderate rain, sleet, light snow and as long as not hard frost.

Richard Neal

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:57:43 pm »
I agree with AJ and i find i pick a lot of work up in the winter, dont know of its because the sun is lower so windows show dirt more or if its because all the summer cleaners give up when the going gets tough!
last winter was the first time i had to stop for over 6 weeks because of the weather.
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:52:35 pm »
i clean windows all year round and i have done for 16 years.obviously you dont make as much during the odd spell of bad weather but i do ok.

you must not cry off at the first sign of rain or cold weather.be dogged and persistent and discipline yourself and enjoy the time off due to really bad weather.make as much as you can when you can. ;) ;D ;D ;D

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

dave carroll

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 01:15:29 am »
tend to disagree with A & J on the dirtier in winter theory, look at all the spider droppings and webs you get in summer, we use a LOT more water in summer than winter, not because of shorter days, we have a couple of areas that in winter we can do in a day, come summer we invariably have to go back the next day to finish as we've run out of water (500ltr) i know "get a bigger tank". otherwise agree with you on everything else.
                        Dave

ArchieHughes

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 11:06:13 am »
That does surprise me I must admit that almost all of your customers are happy to carry on throughout the winter, I am trying to get in contact with someone from the Local authority about providing services for them however during these times where they are faced with cuts I am not sure what my chances are.

Helen

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:25:00 pm »
That does surprise me I must admit that almost all of your customers are happy to carry on throughout the winter, I am trying to get in contact with someone from the Local authority about providing services for them however during these times where they are faced with cuts I am not sure what my chances are.

Archie.
You are going to end up with a half year business. Forget it's window cleaning...it's a business.
For example if you were setting up a transport business would you run that for only 6 months a year.....no you wouldn't.
It doesn't matter what field you are going to set up a business in, you set up for the whole year round.
Window cleaning, when you take on custies you make sure that they understand it is all year round. Yes you will get some drop off over winter, but a lot do still want winter cleans. The ones that do drop off, when you re-start them, you must charge a first clean price again. Once you have an established all year round business, you can then kiss the winter drop offs goodbye.

ArchieHughes

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 01:52:35 pm »
Cheers Helen yeah I understand and like everyone else I want to be as succesful as possible, As I am in the very early stages I like everyone really want to pick the brains of those that have been their and done it to avoid as many mistakes along the way as possible. I am also looking into other revenue sources that might apeal to local authorities but given the massive cuts they are all about to take it is not a good time to approach but we must plough on regardless.

Tom White

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 11:51:31 am »
Archie,

You may find the odd customer will say, can you stop and return in April?  Laugh and walk off.  You will also find that since you are new, you will have a higher percentage of 'bad customers' than is normal; you'll get the stuff that other window cleaners have binned.

But the vast majority of people realise that if they want your service - and they will - they will want their windows cleaned all year round.  People who live in tidy houses, have tidy gardens, and keep themselves tidy, will want clean windows all year round.

Just think of all those bright crisp Winter mornings; people want clean windows even in Winter.

And on the run up to Christmas, it gets really busy, especially with people wanting inside cleans because they've got family and friends visiting and they want their property looking perfect for Christmas.

So don't worry about it.  We did have a tough Winter at the start of this year, but that was a freak weather event I hope.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 06:57:07 pm »
Archie,

You may find the odd customer will say, can you stop and return in April?  Laugh and walk off.  You will also find that since you are new, you will have a higher percentage of 'bad customers' than is normal; you'll get the stuff that other window cleaners have binned.

But the vast majority of people realise that if they want your service - and they will - they will want their windows cleaned all year round.  People who live in tidy houses, have tidy gardens, and keep themselves tidy, will want clean windows all year round.

Just think of all those bright crisp Winter mornings; people want clean windows even in Winter.

And on the run up to Christmas, it gets really busy, especially with people wanting inside cleans because they've got family and friends visiting and they want their property looking perfect for Christmas.

So don't worry about it.  We did have a tough Winter at the start of this year, but that was a freak weather event I hope.

Or like Tosh, you could do a bit of mushroom and truffle hunting. ;)
It's a game of three halves!