ArchieHughes

Another newbie sorry guys.
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:13:03 pm »
I have been a member of here for a couple of weeks now and read up alot trying to get all the information I was after. I do have a few questions I am wondering if people would be so kind to help with.

Firstly I am looking to start a reach & wash window cleaning business. I have never done this before and really don't have a great ideWa on equipment etc.

Their would be 2 of us starting off, I wanted to start off by myself and pay the other lad who is just 17 (i'm 30 by the way) cash at the most £50 a day to help out until such time I would hope to grow the business to a stage where we might bee more than 1 vehicle but that is an age away at the moment.

In the area I live in £7 for a 3 bed semi is what I can get away with, We have a guy in my street with traditional ladders and bucket etc who charges £5.5 so think for a reach & wash this is what I can hope to get.

Here are my questions

1) I am looking to work between school hours 9-3pm and was hoping between the two of us to do 36 houses a day providing they are close enough to each other, Is this a realistic figure to do this many in the time scale?

2) Start up costs, To hold a 400ltr tank could I get away with a smaller van like a combo etc and what sort of realistic start up costs to get all equipment and van for I have quoted from 2k upto 5.5k

3) Getting money from people, Does anyone offer a discount if people are able to pay for let's say 6 months in advance, Does anyone have any tips on how to get money from customers other than kncoking on doors as this can take a lot of time and often be messed around, Does anyone take payment online via a website etc?

4) During the winter months are their any other sides to the business that people do as most people do not really care about their windows being cleaned during those winter months.

5) With a normal reach & wash system what size commercial business should I be aiming or even able to do, For example local schools or would the system be capable to doing supermarkets without the need to hire equipment liekj cherry pickers etc.

I understand the amount of people wanting help so am sorry if some of these questions have been asked before I have had a look around but could not get the answers I was looking for.

MANY THANKS

Craig 72

Re: Another newbie sorry guys.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:28:18 pm »
Hi mate,welcome to the board.There's nothing wrong with being ambitious but I think you may be expecting a bit much too soon.The number one thing you need is customers,how many do you have at the moment?If you're just starting out and don't have many or any don't even think about working with somebody else.You just won't be earning anywhere near enough money at first to pay for yourself,let alone lobbing some lad £50 a day.Unless you get your hands on a big round by buying one,you have to get out delivering leaflets and knocking on doors to get customers.This can be a slow process.For a newcomer to think he's going to be able to do 36 customers a day is unrealistic imo,whether he's working with somebody or not.36 fronts for two experienced guys in 6 hours is possible but not easy but why set yourself a figure at this point?Not trying to burst your bubble mate but I started 18 months ago and am to the point where I work probably 3 weeks out of each month for 6 or so hours a day.Be a long time before I have so much work that I hire some help and even then it will be for 1 day a week at first.

bobby p

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:55:15 pm »
your plan of 36houses and a helper could be acheived but only by doorknocking as if your life depended on it .you must promise yourself, no coasting along, just honest-to-goodness  hour after hour door knocking,but then you will lack the energy to get on cleaning if you are an average bloke

Richard Neal

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:57:02 pm »
I agree, ive been doing this full time for about 3 years noe and i now have someone working with me approx 2 3 days a week but irarely give him more than £40 a day as im still building up the round, each house you get times it by the number a cleans a year you will do, this will give you an idea of turnover.
Good luck
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

cleewindows

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 10:03:30 pm »
run before you walk
start on your own pal or get the lad door knocking whilst you clean untill you have enough work.
36 houses a day = 600 litres of water a day plus.
36 x 5 days = 180 customers a week 720 every 4 weeks by average £10= £7200 every 4 weeks and this all in 6 hours a day  ;D,no chance mate,life isnt that easy nor is window cleaning,it will take you years to build a decent business up.
start small aim big but walk before you run.
good luck. ;D
I have been a member of here for a couple of weeks now and read up alot trying to get all the information I was after. I do have a few questions I am wondering if people would be so kind to help with.

Firstly I am looking to start a reach & wash window cleaning business. I have never done this before and really don't have a great ideWa on equipment etc.

Their would be 2 of us starting off, I wanted to start off by myself and pay the other lad who is just 17 (i'm 30 by the way) cash at the most £50 a day to help out until such time I would hope to grow the business to a stage where we might bee more than 1 vehicle but that is an age away at the moment.

In the area I live in £7 for a 3 bed semi is what I can get away with, We have a guy in my street with traditional ladders and bucket etc who charges £5.5 so think for a reach & wash this is what I can hope to get.

Here are my questions

1) I am looking to work between school hours 9-3pm and was hoping between the two of us to do 36 houses a day providing they are close enough to each other, Is this a realistic figure to do this many in the time scale?

2) Start up costs, To hold a 400ltr tank could I get away with a smaller van like a combo etc and what sort of realistic start up costs to get all equipment and van for I have quoted from 2k upto 5.5k

3) Getting money from people, Does anyone offer a discount if people are able to pay for let's say 6 months in advance, Does anyone have any tips on how to get money from customers other than kncoking on doors as this can take a lot of time and often be messed around, Does anyone take payment online via a website etc?

4) During the winter months are their any other sides to the business that people do as most people do not really care about their windows being cleaned during those winter months.

5) With a normal reach & wash system what size commercial business should I be aiming or even able to do, For example local schools or would the system be capable to doing supermarkets without the need to hire equipment liekj cherry pickers etc.

I understand the amount of people wanting help so am sorry if some of these questions have been asked before I have had a look around but could not get the answers I was looking for.

MANY THANKS

ArchieHughes

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:45:30 am »
Wow, A real eye opener but cheers everyone think it is what is needed is the advice from people who have been their.

What about start up costs, I have been told I can do it for around £2500 is this possible really?

I am in a sitauation where I think I really need to be taking home £1000 a month just to keep my head above water so at £7 a house I would need a large round really. Can I ask I know this might sound a silly question but are their any women who do this, I only ask as it might be an idea that this is something me and the wife can do simply as the youngest is going into full time school in September and for costs reasons would make more sense to do it this way.

I have not really looked into help also at the moment for people starting up small businesses and not sure if their would be any really in this sector but if anyone has had any help could they share their experiance.

I know this is the wrong way to go about it or not but I wanted to build up the business before declaring it if you like as I can imagine at the start it is very hard to make money for yourself nevermind taxes etc.

Craig 72

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:33:20 pm »
There's a couple of women window cleaners round my way and I'm sure a few on here.I will probably get my other half to get on board when things get too big for me to handle on my own.I started up for way less than 2.5k when I went wfp.You don't need an expensive system at first,or even ever.I would recommend getting a trolley system at first to test the water (so to speak).My costs for what gear I use at the moment are:

RO unit (this is a filtrattion system you will need to make your pure water.Plenty of info on here about them).£200.
DI vessel (filters out the last bit of impurities from the water after its been through the RO unit,£70 odd.
17 foot unger water fed pole.High enough to do 2 storey buildings.£100
10x 25 litre barrels at about £6 each
Trolley system which holds the water and pumps it up the pole,£250 from e-bay.There are more expensive ones but works fine for me.
Water butt to store water at home,£20 or so from Wickes.

I personally started off,and would recommend,learning traditional skills.Not all customers will want wfp and you won't be in a position to pick and choose customers at first.If you go down that road you will probaly need to spend a £100 on squegees,bucket,cloths etc.Plus a ladder and step ladder.Not forgetting you will need a car/van to get this clobber in.Personally I think an estate car is fine for a beginner.You can pick up a reasonable Astra estate for £1000 or less,for example.

tacky

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »
me n the wifey window clean .i wfp tops she does bottom windows n collect money n does book .i olso does her bottoms for her to catch up .but she is the best iv had to help me on the windows .someone u can trust n relie on .   get the missis with u .if only to build up ur round untill u can employ someone . look in to getting a backpack to start u off .we always use backpack because our houses ar scatterd .

ArchieHughes

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »
me n the wifey window clean .i wfp tops she does bottom windows n collect money n does book .i olso does her bottoms for her to catch up .but she is the best iv had to help me on the windows .someone u can trust n relie on .   get the missis with u .if only to build up ur round untill u can employ someone . look in to getting a backpack to start u off .we always use backpack because our houses ar scatterd .

I have not heard of using a backpack to do this but it sounds like a good idea, I take it you would have the tank in the van and simply fill up the backpack as you are going? Think I would feel like a ghostbuster lol, Has anyone got a link to these as I would imagine if you need to go through people's houses these would be better than dragging a hose through.

The prices quoted above for equipment sound good, If I add a van to this something like a Combo or something I think I would not be far off 2 to 2.5k I think.

Sounds a good idea having the Mrs do the bottom window's and me do the tops, I don't want to go down the route of traditional window cleaning using a bucket and sponge and things, Don't mind expanding into gutter clearing etc or maybe other areas like car valeting if anyone also does this as an addition although the price to get a car valet these days it's not really worth it.

tacky

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 07:45:14 pm »
their ar different backpacks .one i use is .window cleaning warehouse .one .bout £120. but ideal bit of kit .

Richard Neal

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:46 pm »
I had a girl work with me part time for a couple of years, my custys liked her and she definately got me some good ones as wel,l dont think i could work with my missus tho :(
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

ArchieHughes

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 11:14:14 pm »
I had a girl work with me part time for a couple of years, my custys liked her and she definately got me some good ones as wel,l dont think i could work with my missus tho :(

;D Don't think my Mrs would like me working with any other female  ;D Think I def need to be targetting 10 customers a day at £7 min in order for us to make a living I work that out at £1400 every 4 week's take out expenses for the business which I am not sure are per month but I need to left with over £1000 or it really is not worth my while I can build up to this number of customers but need to know that is a realistic target, As for commercial customers does anyone have an estimate as what they would charge a commercial compnay or even school's for that matter.

cleewindows

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 11:22:59 pm »
concentrate on residential for a start pal.
20 a day is achieveable easy.
I would aim to canvass and then fill say a monday,then go back out and canvass and fill the next monday and back out and canvass again and do the same again till you have 3 days a week minimum full and then really go for it!
Remember if you can get 60 a week done in the first 3 days of the week you will have 240 custys at £8 average is £1920 every 4 weeks.minus diesel and insurance etc you will be earning a decent living.

;D Don't think my Mrs would like me working with any other female  ;D Think I def need to be targetting 10 customers a day at £7 min in order for us to make a living I work that out at £1400 every 4 week's take out expenses for the business which I am not sure are per month but I need to left with over £1000 or it really is not worth my while I can build up to this number of customers but need to know that is a realistic target, As for commercial customers does anyone have an estimate as what they would charge a commercial compnay or even school's for that matter.

ArchieHughes

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 01:25:52 pm »
I would like to thank everyone to has answered my questions and given sound suggestions.

On looking at potential areas I was also looking at Caravan parks and wondered if anyone here has got any, Do you clean the entire caranvan every so often or just keep to the windows?

I have also seen mentioned backpacks and wondered about these, how long can the power last in these units? and can you simply keep refilling from the tank in the van?

I was also wondering on running costs to expect etc, Is their someone who would not mind by e-mail or whatever just giving me a general breakdown of their weekly/monthly running costs as these have to be factor in, I am also a little concerned about the dreaded tax man and wondered what the rules are, Are you allowed a certain amount to earn before declaring or is this something I should just keep hush about until such time the business is establsihed?

bobby p

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 02:12:40 pm »
are you in a town or in the country?, fuel costs differ
 before you start do a bit of research and find out what the firms that have employees  are charging, near you. personally i pitched in a quid or 2 under them and work out a price structure thats easy to remember (such as "quid per window" or whatever) and stick to it .you are setting your stall out ,so start as you mean to go on

i have been trad only and only 2years in,(could have acheived it in under 1 year from scratch,but i wasnt fit enough and found it better to ease into ,rather than in at deep end) but now have a cracking full round  . Being honest with you , its tough physically but very satisfying and the overheads are pretty much zilch , apart from some diesel and rubber for my squeegee . Getting used to ladderwork is like everything,hard for first 6 months but then o.k. after you get the hang of it .
dont hurry to dismiss trad out of hand , consider it ----- the overheads are pretty much zilch

ArchieHughes

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 04:49:38 pm »
are you in a town or in the country?, fuel costs differ
 before you start do a bit of research and find out what the firms that have employees  are charging, near you. personally i pitched in a quid or 2 under them and work out a price structure thats easy to remember (such as "quid per window" or whatever) and stick to it .you are setting your stall out ,so start as you mean to go on

i have been trad only and only 2years in,(could have acheived it in under 1 year from scratch,but i wasnt fit enough and found it better to ease into ,rather than in at deep end) but now have a cracking full round  . Being honest with you , its tough physically but very satisfying and the overheads are pretty much zilch , apart from some diesel and rubber for my squeegee . Getting used to ladderwork is like everything,hard for first 6 months but then o.k. after you get the hang of it .
dont hurry to dismiss trad out of hand , consider it ----- the overheads are pretty much zilch

I am in the City but looking to concentrate on suberbs, I am targeting some plush areas where the houses are a very large size, I am not looking to get into Trad I will be honest I am not keen on going up that high on ladders and working I will go up them but not to stay for that long working to be honest so it will have to be Reach & Wash for me.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 06:04:22 am »
bobby i have to totally disagree with you.the overheads are certainly not "zilch" as you say whether your trad or wfp unless your a doley topping up your benefits.

public liability

commercial van insurance etc

accountant

ni/tax

rubbers/ladders/scrims/squeegees/etc

a lot cheaper than wfp yes but still not "zilch"! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

ArchieHughes

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 06:35:13 pm »
I understand the obvious overheads namely the fuel/insurance etc, The tax issue is a little confusing for me as most with self employment, I know I have to pay N.I from the off but am I allowed to earn a set amount before it is taxable?

abilol

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 10:43:52 am »
Why don't you look in to buying small round to start off and build from there

Carey Ward

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:55 pm »
You need to register with the tax man when you start a business regardless of how much you are making and declaring as, if and when he finds out that you are trading, he will fine you and ask for back taxes - you will have the usual tax code allowance same as employed people - so even if you less than this amount which is about £6500 you still need to be registered

- also find yourself a good accountant - I know they cost money but they should give benefits like off setting vehicle costs and set up costs - (I can do basisc bookkeeping up to filling out tax forms but I saved a fortune as I didn't know all the little things you can offset!!)