Steve H

scaffold tower
« on: May 09, 2024, 08:52:46 pm »
Hi Guys,
Ive been doing more roof cleaning than normal recently (scraping and biocide generally) so need to be up close to the roof or pretty hard on your shoulders for sure. (mainly doing bungalows, plenty around Norfolk area where i live)
For the guys that do this type of work, is it worth buying a scaffold tower? Hiring one each time starts to get expensive for sure.
Also, anyone been on a PASMA one day course (currently £150 & vat), showing how to put them up safely, maybe also needed for insurance purposes? Are they worth it or needed?
Everything i read says you dont need a licence for a tower - if using it on a residential property - so not sure if needed, other than for health and safety reasons.
Any information appreciated as always guys...
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

michael mckeary

Re: scaffold tower
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 09:05:40 pm »
I bought a narrow 2.5m clima one years ago. I would probably buy a narrow 1.8m one if I had to now. It has paid for itself as I rent it out to a gas fitter when he needs it. The good thing about a scaffold is its always an asset which can be sold in the future. I would advise you to look on Ebay because there is always towers forsale. As long as you have a safe place to store it. I don't scrape roofs no more and only spray them from a ladder. Going on a Pasma course is well worth undertaking because you will lean plenty from it, being safe and staying safe.

M.c.s

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 10:10:52 pm »
https://www.scaffold-tower.co.uk/product/trade-folding-towers/?attribute_tower-width=Single+Width+(0.78m)&attribute_tower-length=1.8m&attribute_working-height=5.6m+(3.6m+platform+height)&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6PGxBhCVARIsAIumnWZfxD_q7dXSu0Z5bknLADyTeYUORYoW9CrbLIuZEoGMx5kPSYGkTIYaAvWREALw_wcB

This is the tower I have it's 7.5 myres can be built in 30 min it has wheel adjustable  legs j keep it in the garden chained up

You need a licence or training if you employ
It takes s bit of skill to get used to building it

I practiced in  the garden 

M.c.s

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 10:17:47 pm »
It can be built by one person from inside  the tower 3 t method

If you are unsure do the course.  Safety

Steve H

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 09:03:39 pm »
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Just got to get my head around buying one I think, so expensive to keep hiring and a pain sometimes, better if you have your own I feel.
Michael, why do you not scrape the roofs now? Are you just softwashing  or just re-spraying the ones you've cleaned in the past?
Scraping is hard work for sure, just not sure about pressure washing the roofs, concerned about water in the loft space etc... might do my own with a FSC see how that turns out....
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 11:42:52 pm »
If the roof is in good nick - they don't leak but really you are better off being above the roof on a cherry picker.

there will be some inherent danger ( very small ) running a FSC over a roof - depending on tile shape and how well they overlap
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 06:29:06 am »
Problem with a tower is you need somewhere to store it and then to transport it. My van is already full with window cleaning and pressure washing gear.

It’s always been easier to hire for me.

michael mckeary

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 06:47:42 pm »
Problem with a tower is you need somewhere to store it and then to transport it. My van is already full with window cleaning and pressure washing gear.

It’s always been easier to hire for me.

Only good thing is you can store scaffold outside like I do. I have 4 platforms with wood on them so I have them covered with a tarpaulin to keep them dry. I have a large chain and padlock around all the frames in case someone wants to help themselves to it.

Ggh

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 06:50:06 pm »
We’ve a couple of towers for solar panel cleaning. Guys are PASMA trained and  record of towers being checked is critical. Think they’re about £1500 for half decent boss/youngmans
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Amber51

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2024, 05:09:49 am »
Buying a scaffold tower could save you money since you're doing a lot of roof cleaning, especially on bungalows in Norfolk. Consider looking for used ones on eBay to keep costs low.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/bn_7116015748

michael mckeary

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2024, 12:45:23 pm »
Buying a scaffold tower could save you money since you're doing a lot of roof cleaning, especially on bungalows in Norfolk. Consider looking for used ones on eBay to keep costs low.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/bn_7116015748

I bought all mine from Ebay and then sold them all for the same price later on. Just before covid I could afford a brand new one and have continually added to it. It has paid for itself after a few years because I rent it out to a plumber I know.

Steve H

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2024, 07:51:25 pm »
I think if i buy one guys, i will also need to add a trailer to my van. Fitting it all in looks a proper tight squeeze. I have my water tank in the van also, so that cant easily be taken out, anyone use a trailer, seems sensible to me.
I have a VW Transporter, will just fit a tower in i feel.

michael mckeary

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2024, 09:40:29 pm »
I think if i buy one guys, i will also need to add a trailer to my van. Fitting it all in looks a proper tight squeeze. I have my water tank in the van also, so that cant easily be taken out, anyone use a trailer, seems sensible to me.
I have a VW Transporter, will just fit a tower in i feel.

Probably better fitting a roof rack. I have a roof rack on my VW Hi Roof Crafter and that's where I stack my big scaffold frames on when transporting them to a job. Fit them on the night before and chain and padlock them onto the rack.

Bungle

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2024, 06:38:39 pm »
I bought a narrow 2.5m clima one years ago. I would probably buy a narrow 1.8m one if I had to now. It has paid for itself as I rent it out to a gas fitter when he needs it. The good thing about a scaffold is its always an asset which can be sold in the future. I would advise you to look on Ebay because there is always towers forsale. As long as you have a safe place to store it. I don't scrape roofs no more and only spray them from a ladder. Going on a Pasma course is well worth undertaking because you will lean plenty from it, being safe and staying safe.

Out of interest how much do you charge to hire it?
We look at them, they look through them.

michael mckeary

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2024, 07:06:16 pm »
Out of interest how much do you charge to hire it?

I charge £300 minimum, deliver and build it. Go and clean some windows and come back and remove it. Don't leave it overnight or it will disappear. Sometimes if its a quick job then I will help them and they will help me dismantle it.

Slacky

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2024, 10:18:39 pm »
Are you licensed?

Slacky

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2024, 10:20:18 pm »
It’s less than a hundred round here for a days hire. What muppets hire for £300 a day?

Rob.Hall

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2024, 11:02:10 pm »
MiTower.
Hire from HSS About £132 delivered to site £210 Inc waver and deposit.
I've just done one for 7 days at that cost.