John_Flynn

Old Blood Stains ???
« on: August 13, 2004, 12:01:09 am »
Cleaned an 80/20 carpet today that had some old blood stains, used Prochem Stain-pro then followed Prochems stain guide and used Rust Remover lifted slightly but not completely, could it be that the Rust Remover was getting on for 5 years old??

Or any other suggestions to remove these marks??

Thanks in anticipation.

John
I get better looking each day!!

lee_gundry

Re: Old Blood Stains ???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 12:14:46 am »
i to have strugged to remove old blood stains,may be worth trying a fresh batch of rust remover.

big lad from cumbria
cumbria

John_Flynn

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 12:15:59 am »
Thanks Fatman !!

paulchambers

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 12:16:05 am »
I had a old blood stain to clean on my first carpet i cleaned in cornwall i first use alltec blood stain remover without success then tried prochem it did work a little better but not completely

paulchambers

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 12:17:13 am »
didnt know you can use rust remover you learn something every day on here

John_Flynn

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 12:19:26 am »
Paul

Blood contains Iron, hence Rust remover.

paulchambers

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 12:31:14 am »
I see thanks for that

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 12:39:31 am »
What temp did you use it at? Cold is best.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

John_Flynn

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 01:08:37 am »
Used it cold, Oh wiseone.

Any comments from the Bolton Twins??

Dynafoam

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 02:19:32 am »
Hi John.

Heavy, old blood stains on carpets can some times be 'crusty'. Careful use of a stiff brush, such as a velvet boffin, followed by a dry vacuum can remove the upper layer.

Next, a cold water rinse. With a CFR hand tool it can be held almost stationary over the stain, which not only flushes some out but also partially re-hydrates the blood.

The choice of spotter is mainly between enzyme or ammonia-based (eg. B144 Stainpro), or in the old days before CC chems were available I would use cloudy ammonia.

My favoured product is B144, applied by repeated dabbing with a towel, followed by a cold rinse. Then the rust remover and a final rinse.

So your choice of chemicals coincides with mine, the only difference is maybe the method of application. Using the towel rather than direct application reduces the possibility of wick-back and also gives you an indication when to start with the rust remover (when there is no further transfer to the towel).

Rust removers based on Hydrofluoric acid have an almost indefinite shelf-life.

If the above proceedure fails to remove all the staining then the last resort it ammonia-boosted peroxide which can remove the greenish afterstain, but must only be used with great care.

John.

Robert_O

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 02:50:43 am »
Hi

I recall from an 'ancient' stain removal course that blood is termed as an albumen stain, and may require several processes to deal with its removal.

You can liken it to the white of an egg, if you use a heated solution it will turn into a white solid coagulation within the fibres making it harder if not impossible to remove. The same characturistics apply to blood!

The first procedure should be a flushing through with a neutral based cleaning agent to take out any loose unbonded excess.

Secondly use an enzyme based product to break down the protein bonds, and allow some dwell time for this to work. This should then be rinsed through, and may require several repeated applications.

Any remaining discolouration may be the iron content contained within the blood which can be dealt with using Hydroflouric Acid, or Oxalic Acid (Rust remover).

Again the treated areas should be rinsed out when these processes are completed.

When using rust removers care should be taken due to their serious health implications, and you should always ensure that you read and understand about the products you are using. These are poisonous products, and hydroflouric acid in particular is calcium seeking, and extremely aggressive (take care of those pinkies).

Age will cause the coagulation of blood and make it harder to remove an older stain than a fresh stain.

Regards

Robert Olifent

Derek

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 11:09:55 am »
John

Don't tell anyone but I still use the pure chemicals you listed such as ammonia, etc... find them most effective

Yes, Robert..I do wear my super duper green marigold's (much prettier that Ken's  ;D)...I have already been down that route :'(

Derek

Doug Holloway

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 11:23:42 am »
Hi Guys,

I had some success when experimenting with enzymes to remove old blood stains, but it was very time consuming and therefore costly.

Unless the blood stain is of very high removal value I would stick with stainpro,enzyme,rust remover in that order and if it does'nt come off you've done your best.

cheers,

doug