jacko

stubborn stain - help!
« on: August 12, 2004, 01:28:45 am »
A customer called me to clean some carpets, however when i did the survey there were lots of yellowish stains around, these also matched the clients white poodles' left ear!  I will explain......

Poodle not well, given antibiotic which gave him diarreah all over carpets, poodle then lays in it hence his stained ear.

I was called in one week after this. Carpets 100% wool tufted. Hesian backing. Stain will NOT BUDGE Have tried various solutions including Prochem browning prescription. The colour of the stain is from the antibiotic.

I visited his Vet who gave me two of these powdered capsules. They are called "Dipentum" Manufactured by Celtech in Slough. They contain Olsalazine sodium, Magnesium Stearate, and Gelatine.

I am thinking of staining some sample carpet with the chemical and trying different methods of removal, - or am i wasting my time?!

???

Dynafoam

Re: stubborn stain - help!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 02:52:04 am »
Jacko,

Firstly, I admire you for being prepared to go to such lengths.

I don't think that having some capsules will help you very much. Even if you were prepared to take a handful to be able to 'soil' the test carpets since your stomach contents and digestive system will not match those of the dog the complex discharge will not be the same.

Stains of this nature normally require some drastic action - sodium metabisulphite, perhaps slightly heat-boosted or a peroxide boosted with ammonia. Both possibly followed up with a rust remover.

The above methods carry a degree of risk - even greater if you have not used them before and a customers' carpet is not the best venue for learning.

The stains can be blamed on the dog - damage resulting from an attempt at removal will be blamed on you.

John.

jacko

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:21:37 pm »
;)John, thanks for advice. I think you have misunderstood me! I do not intend to soil the carpet by using my body functions! I was going to pour some of the capsule content onto a test carpet and play about with it. Was even thinking of sending to prochem lab. I am determined to get some result from this as i have put much time into it so far. Or maybe i should just leave it!

Dynafoam

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 04:14:52 pm »
Jacko,

The point I was making is that the stain on the carpet was caused by a complex mixture comprising of:

• Indigestible food components
    Digestive juices
    Food dyes (which are added to pet foods)
    Dead blood cell components
    Various trace elements
    Whatever of the capsules' contents that were not either absorbed into the animals body or converted during the progress through that body.

Testing carried out on one of the components that entered one end cannot be a reliable indicator of the result on the mixture that came out the other end.

John.

jacko

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 07:57:43 pm »
:-[John, thank you, good advice.