paulchambers

Carpet in a recess
« on: August 11, 2004, 06:42:45 pm »
I have a wool carpet to clean which is fitted in a recess in the floor with a stained wooden floor surrounding it am i likely to encounter a wood stain problem around the edges    Paul

Dynafoam

Re: Carpet in a recess
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 08:41:03 pm »
Paul,

You are right to be cautious.

The treatment on the wood will affect the way it responds to water but it is likely that any detergent product will affect many finishes. Also side -wicking may cause the wood to swell/discolour.

What I would do is to clean the margins with an enclosed hand-tool first - CFR would be ideal.

Of course you could either mask off the wood or apply a thick coat of wax but that could involve you in additional problems.

John.

woodman

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 08:49:38 pm »
Hi Paul

Depending on how big it is, I would lift the carpet away from the gripper and put a strip of viscreen all around the edges refit carpet down best possible while cleaning, then re-fit proper when done.

You can work right up to edges with no problems  ;)

I have done this on many occasions with similar work

Ed Valentine

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 09:38:47 pm »
I remember years back meeting with this same situation. We decided to put down some sheet plastic extended along the edges. This would catch any over-spray.

Then, we instructed the customer to discard this plastic once carpet dried. Absolutely no problem and the customer "thought we knew what we were doing too!" (LOL) -----and was throughly happy.

Good Fortune to all Brits;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

Michel Roberts

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 12:06:08 am »
Woodman,

Whats vizscreen

Thanks Michel

Dynafoam

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 12:49:07 am »
Good day to you Young Ed,

When I mentioned additional problems with masking, I was thinking of a cleaner I know who did this a few years ago.

He thought that the plasic sheet was no good if the water could run underneath, so he taped it down.

When he removed it he found that the adhesive had reacted withthe floor coating and some came up with the tape  :-[

This would not happen with Woodmans' sugestion, but then not every CC would refit the carpet to the required standard.

Regards,

John.

paulchambers

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 01:04:38 am »
I think if i had to refit a a carpet, it would be to a standard and not a required standard ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 01:32:09 am »
John

Even carpet fitters don’t follow the BSI still waiting for the gent to supply this info on carpet fitting.

In these circumstances dose one charge extra for refitting?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 02:35:28 am »
Len,

The papers should be with me in a few days.

Additional work such as uplifting and refitting a carpet I certainly would charge for.

John.