Eric

Fabric wall coverings
« on: August 09, 2004, 06:46:46 pm »
Hi all,

I have just been asked to take a look some fabric wall coverings in an office, having not cleaned something like this before Could someone please point out the pitfalls and what I should be looking for. Sorry for the lack of information but I am trying to prepare myself.
I am aware that once I have identified the fabric I will know if I can dry clean (solvents) or wet clean using possibly a cfr hand tool. If they cannot be taken down and have to be cleaned in situ what are risks.

Thank you

Eric
It's the hope of reward that sweetens labour

Dynafoam

Re: Fabric wall coverings
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 07:51:40 pm »
Eric,

Fabric wall coverings in offices are often glued to the wall or, more commonly partition screen.

The identification (or should I say water/solvent tolerance) of the glue is as important as fibre identification.

Many can safely be wet-cleaned with care. In these cases (subject to pre-test) some B108 Fabric Restorer mixed with a high-solids shampoo such as B105 can be put in a bucked and whisked to produce a foam. the foam can then be applied to the fabric with a tampico or horsehair brush and agitated.

The removal of soil can then be with an acid rinse or water via your CFR tool or sometimes lightly misted with a trigger sprayer and absorbed with cotton towels.

Some might respond well to treatment with a micro-splitter then rinsed as appropriate.

Not a definite answer, but there are so many variables that the method and chemistry need to be tailored to suit the individual job.

As a final caution, interior designers often do not consider maintenance and use totally unsuitable materials, so proceed with caution or if in doubt, walk away.

John.

Eric

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 04:22:51 pm »
John,

Thank you for your input once again; it is always very much appreciated.

The Fabric is glued to the wall so I spoke to Spencer Young at Prochem today who recommend that we brush first with a velvet boffin brush, hoover and then use a Prochem Dri-Chem Sponge, which is expanded latex foam for cleaning mainly, smoke damaged surfaces, fabrics and paper, but can clean general dust and mould, if used carefully.

I was not aware of these sponges before, so you learn something new all the time.
Regards,

Eric

Dynafoam

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 03:29:05 am »
Eric,

If the fabric is delicate I would be inclined to use something less aggressive than a velvet boffin ( brass bristles), probably a tampico platers brush or similar.

I've not used the Prochem sponge but have gone through many of the Chemspec ones. The results can be surprising but most of the fabric wall coverings I have cleaned in offices would not have sufficiently responded to this method (ink, bluetac, coffee etc.)

John.

Eric

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 05:46:31 am »
John,

Found out tonight the Fabric is a Tek-Wall product which is made from 100% polyolefin or a blend of polyolefin and polyester. So the  fibers are solution -dyed and can be cleaned fairly aggressively within reason.

There are a number of stains which are mainly tea or coffee, I think I will treat these as normal clean, rinse and blot. Hopefully the secret is little and often and not to over wet and avoid upsetting the glue holding the fabric to the wall.

Thanks again

Eric

Ivar_Haglund

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 08:16:32 am »
I would be very careful about using solvents
what would the risk be leaving something flamable on the walls aslo the fumes.

I clean office partisions forgive my english you know those thinks that seprate emplyees desk all the time just like cleaning an   lounge

IVAR ;D

Dynafoam

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 04:22:36 pm »
Eric,

You seem to be adopting the right approach.

If the fabric was hung with PVA adhesive you should be reasonably safe with most tannin removers.

A useful tip for wall coverings is, rather to apply the tannin remover directly to the fabric, dampen a paper tissue with it then use a soft brush to apply it - much as you would wallpaper, but with a tamping action. The paper is easily torn to the size and shape of the stain, so you can treat that area in isolation and without runs. It is also sensible to 'paint' around the margin to avoid out-wicking.

John.

Eric

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 04:54:25 am »
John,

I was on site tonight, there is over a 1,000 meters of fabric most will just brush clean then possibly a light sponge. Then I saw the reason they have called me in, the catering staff play bumper cars with their trolleys and someone and as usual no one owns up have tried to clean off the marks.

The results they have left  are pilling of the fabric which can be removed with a disposable razor but there is a lot of wicking, which instead of the usual brown colour it is green?. Have you seen this before?.
A long shot I know but could this be a reaction with the glue.

Eric

Dynafoam

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 04:33:07 pm »
Eric,

I've not seen tea/coffee stains turn green, but several treatments for wine stains will turn the red to green during the process of removal.

It is possible that the green colouring is from a general purpose detergent they have borrowed from the kitchen to attempt a clean-up. This may simply rinse out with plain water - which is often the best starting point.

If this is not effective, I would test small areas with various products up and down the pH scale, starting with weak solutions of each. Many dyes react to pH by chromic changes - eg. litmus solution/paper and the dyes of the pH test papers you undoubtedly carry.

Promise nothing and ensure the customer is aware that the mystery cleaner who got there first may have already done irreparable damage.

John.