Martin S

Surveys
« on: August 09, 2004, 03:11:36 pm »
Maybe this is a bit of a daft question, but if you don't ask, you don't find out.

So, how do you measure the floor area to be cleaned on site?

Do you measure it, pace it, guess it or take the customers word for it?

If you actually measure it, I thought i'd let you know (in case you haven't already got one) that there are a couple of cheap 'Ultrasonic' measurers in the shops at the moment.  The type of thing used by Estate agents etc.

One is on 'Special' from today at 'NETTO' and measures distances from 2 to 41 feet, will calculate square automatically, memorises up to 5 readings, converts between imperial and metric, and also has a Calculator.  Price is £14.99.

http://www.netto.co.uk/internet/nettog/menu/main.nsf

The other is at 'Aldi' from 19th August, a bit more basic, also has a laser pointer, measures 2 to 49 feet.  Price £12.99

http://uk.aldi.com/

You won't see the Aldi one on their website til probably after this Friday.

I thought that maybe this would add a little to the professional looking image.  The one at 'Netto' in particular, you could work out the room size, punch in a few buttons and hey presto madam that will be £££££

If you are interested, the 'specials' in these shop usually sell out fairly quickly.  Don't know how good they are of course, but am going to get one today to see what it's like.

By the way, I don't usually go into these shops, but I saw a leaflet by the roadside when I stopped to tie up my shoelace.  Oh, and the Aldi one I saw in the paper, I think.  Usually shop at M&S, 'honest'.

Martin S  

Martin

ISM_CLEANING

Re: Surveys
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 03:39:55 pm »
Hi Martin,
I use a mini max measuring wheel which came from a company called York Survey supplies,
measures up to 999.9 metres, so just measure wall to wall, wall to wall and times the two together and hey presto you have the square meterage.

Ian

Dennis

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 03:42:41 pm »
Well I shop at Lidl and Aldi - and I'm not ashamed of it.  ;D

Dynafoam

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 03:56:50 pm »
I have the Stanley Estimator ultrasonic, but only use it for calculating protector requirements.

I do not base my charges for cleaning on measured area.

John

Martin S

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 04:28:08 pm »
John,

I feel very honoured to have had a reply from a clean-it-up God.

As I am in the really early stages of looking into the business, and currently still trawling through these boards, any information I can get is helpful.  I am realizing that pricing is quite a sensitive subject.

How do you calculate what to charge?

Dennis

You obviously don't have a daughter that walks on the other side of the street if you have one of their carrier bags in your hand.  Of course I shop there from time to time, they offer great value, but for a lot of youngsters, it is really 'uncool'.
Martin

Dynafoam

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 07:32:47 pm »
Martin,

On any job the first square yd., mtr. or foot will bear the cost of getting to the site, setting up and packing away. The subsequent units will cost you very much less.

This forms the basis of my pricing policy.

The next factor is how the total area is arranged. Three rooms with a total are of 60 sq. mtrs. will take longer to clean than a single room of the same area.

Then there is the degree and type of soiling plus the extent of cluttering.

My price for cleaning will reflect all these factors. Consequently if I clean two rooms of equal size etc., the second room will be cheaper than the first.

My client-base have been educated to this policy over the years and the result is that I do fewer, larger jobs than might otherwise be the case.

John.

Martin S

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 07:56:58 pm »
Thank you John, that makes perfect sense to me.  I guess that once I start getting my hands dirty I can assess for myself each individual situation.  Suppose it all comes with experience.

Martin S
Martin

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 09:07:33 pm »
When you have made a few phone calls locally and done searches on the boards you will have an idea on price,

However what you do need is a minimum price as some jobs will not work out at x per square foot  = price you want.

I have been told that the industry averarge is 25p per square foot.

Remember that is average some charge more others less, you will come to your own conclusion

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 09:09:31 pm »
John do you price by an hourly rate(not asking your hourly rate) which includes set up and pack up or is there some other equasion?

Shaun

Dynafoam

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 10:04:08 pm »
Shaun,

Whilst a basic hourly rate is always a yardstick against which a price is tested, it is not the basis of the charge.

If it were, then care homes, for example would not feature on my customer list since the chemical cost per sq. mtr. is typically 5-10 times that of average domestic carpets.

Risk factor is also reflected in price, for example with antique restoration work.

John.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 11:50:45 pm »
do you work out
a. how long you will be there
b. how much chemical costs will be
and then add on extras for problem pieces?

Shaun

Dave Parry

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 12:19:00 am »
You can fanny around all day with costings, it all depends on what you want to earn. I have a standard charge for a typical 12 x 12 living room, and another for a typical bedroom. I charge pro rata (or sometimes slightly less) for bigger rooms. Not an exact science, but works for me.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Doug Holloway

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 12:29:55 am »
Dave,

I'm right there with you .

I have standardish prices for a room and will adjust according to several criteria, like how many ,how far , how much I need it,how dirty etc.

So much easier than pacing out rooms.

Cheers,

Doug

Len Gribble

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 12:33:17 am »
Sorry Dave I have to agree ;D.  The more you buy the cheaper it becomes domestic only commercial very different

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dave Parry

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 12:43:32 am »
Hi Len, Hope you had a good holiday. No need to apologise for AGREEING with me. Presume its a typo and you dont agree. If theres a few rooms I will give some discount, but make sure the client knows what the full price would be. Depends on how I feel, and how much I need the work. however having a standard price saves having to survey the small jobs.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,

Len Gribble

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 01:11:26 am »
Dave

Not a typo error, Dave I have to agree again what a sad person I am.  Yes the brake allowed me to refocus, also pick up some business there, can’t go into details but they love the British very private estate, old bill not allowed unless a murder.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

paulchambers

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 02:23:02 am »
I have bought about 4 electronic measurers from cheap to expensive and not found a good one, i use a 50ft tape measure now, bought at a car boot for 50p

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2004, 07:14:53 pm »
same here paul ;D
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

Martin S

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 06:37:52 pm »
Thanks guys for all your comments,  Got that measurer the other day from 'Netto' as I said.  It's not too bad, but you have to be precise where you are pointing it.  I would say four out of five times it gives an accurate reading, but is that enough!!  Don't know whether i'd be using it.

It seems that you guys have lots of different ways of arriving at your price.

Regards  

Martin S
Martin

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2004, 08:42:33 pm »
I hve a laser measure. It was a bit  expensive but is accurate to a mm in 300m. has an auto square calculator and vitually save its price on the first big complicated job. It still took quite a time to maesure up as there were all sorts of alcoves. The customer wanted us to measure each column and deduct them until I pointed out that we had to clean all the edges at the bases. The sonic ones are ok if the line of sight is clear. If you are threading through a row of filing cabinets then it will read them, not the far wall.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Martin S

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 11:57:07 pm »
Where did you get your Laser measure from?
Martin

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2004, 01:33:21 am »
Survey Systems Ltd
Wilmslow
01625 533444

Look up on net, I bought mine online, was there in 2 days.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Martin S

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2004, 02:37:19 am »
Thanks very much

;)
Martin

paulchambers

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2004, 08:10:18 pm »
Now thats what i call an expensive tape measure £330

i'd rather spend 50p on a tape at a car boot and buy a sebo

Martin S

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2004, 08:39:03 pm »
Thanks Paul, saved me a job and a phone call.  I'd expect it to clean the Carpets as well for that price!!

Sebo does sound a more attractive option.

Martin S
Martin

Dave Parry

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2004, 01:00:22 am »
Depends on how accurate you want to be. I have a ultrasonic measure with a laser pointer, also does areas and volumes. It cost me about £ 35 or £40 (old age cant remember which). it isn't 100% but near enough. I only use on commercial jobs, unless I want to try and impress a domestic client. recently used it to quote some curtains 19 feet high x 40 feet wide. Lets see you use a tape measure on those.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,

Dennis

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2004, 11:54:32 am »
Get down to your local Aldi on the 19th August.  ;)

Ultrasonic Distance Measurer each £12.99
Fed up with your tape measure? Be smarter with our ultimate ultrasonic distance measurer with laser pointer. For quick measurements without a measuring tape. Combines state-of-the-art laser and ultrasonic technologies. It is the easiest way to measure room dimensions quickly and accurately. Precise measuring point due to additional laser point; easy measuring of dimensions in feet or metres; distance measurement from 0.6m/1.9ft up to 15m/49.2ft; precision of measurement ±1%; class 2 laser pointer. Features LCD display; calculation of surface area and volume; recall the last measurement function; automatic switch off after fifteen seconds; includes 9 volt battery. Measure from front or rear of unit.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2004, 03:33:33 pm »
I use an ultrasonic measure. The nice thing about them is they can work out the actual cost of the room, if you use the volume setting after doing the width & length if you hold it at arms length pionting to the floor it will give you the area x the cost of £2.30p/mt ( this is based on my arm length ;) )

saves all the calculator work

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Dynafoam

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2004, 07:08:21 pm »
Mike,

If you wore shoes inside you plastic bootees, you would get £2.31/sq. mtr.  ;D

John.