conallon

PUNGENT ODOUR/ELECTRIC CHAIR
« on: August 09, 2004, 01:14:13 am »
HI THERE, A VERY GOOD CUSTOMER OF MINE DECIDED TO TRY A BIT OF DIY UPHOLSTERY CLEANING AFTER MY LAST VISIT ( MUST HAVE INSPIRED HIM   ;D) THE THREE THINGS HE USED WERE A-Z UPHOLSTERY CLEANER,DETTOL AND SOME PERFUME IS WIFE GOT AS AS A PRESY FOR CHRISTMAS AND DID"NT LIKE,THE RESULT IS ONE NOT NICE SMELL,NOT SURE HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS ONE, ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED,  ???

lee_gundry

Re: PUNGENT ODOUR/ELECTRIC CHAIR
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 01:18:35 am »
more info  required.

item to be cleaned
fabric type
etc

Lee G
cumbria

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 01:24:48 am »
I would say it could be that it has been over wetted therefore causing mould spores to grow hence the smell.

Does the chair look like it has been cleaned or has it been a waste of time?

Shaun

conallon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 01:48:26 am »
Hi Lee
         its a multi coloured dralon electric armchair, impressive piece of kit, back goes backwards and forwards and footplate goes up and down and slightly backwards and forwards, motor is in bottom of chair access to motor is via a lift up flap at bottom rear of chair
hope this helps

cheers Conrad          

conallon

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 01:58:27 am »
Hi Shaun
              it looks clean, but now u have metioned mould i cleaned the full 6 bedroom bungalow and never so the chair in question, could have been in is garage or shed, he might have used all them 3 products to mask original mould smell maybe starting with dettol,

thanks mate

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 02:04:58 am »
Could try reclean (professionally) then let it dry in the Summer sun and use disinfectant additive.

Shaun

Harry

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 09:21:31 am »
Anyone that attempts DIY cleaning does not sound like a "very good customer" to me.  ???

I would remove the dust cover and look for evidence of water marks or mold underneath the seat.

Cleaning will only remove odour from the fabric but not the stuffing.

Leatherwright Seminars

Dynafoam

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 03:49:53 pm »
Conrad,

Harry is probably spot-on.

The most likely cure would be to put the chair in a plastic tent with an ozone generator for a prolonged treatment. This of course may have a detrimental effect on the electrics.

Once you do anything to the chair you may be committing yourself to a long drawn-out campaign which could cost you money and end in defeat - walk away from it after explaining your reasons, and hopefully retaining the customer.

John.

conallon

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 12:24:03 am »
Harry/John
                talked to guy with chair today, going to do some stainguarding at his bungalow on friday  ;D made it clear to him that i will have one attempt at cleaning it/removing order from it  :-[  chair was bought buy him for his mam,maybe he had try at cleaning it himself because some kind of misshapp occured (maybe urine) if stuffing looks ok was thinking of cleaning with just hot water to exstract 3 mentioned items he put into it, what do you think ? ozone generator  ???

Doug Holloway

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 12:41:17 am »
Hi Guys,

I sort these 'rising recliners' out for my local Social Services.

'Brite' if you are near I could show you how.

Cheers,

Doug

conallon

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 04:09:56 am »
HI DOUG
              WOULD HAVE, UNFORTUNETLY IM MILES AWAY IN HULL, THANKS FOR OFFER

BEST REGARDS

CONRAD          

gwrightson

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 09:15:06 am »
cleaning exactly the same type of chair on friday,
in a bungalow hmm
hope its not same as one your doing
be nice to a little about you in profile as we are in same area, are you going to carpex
i think may be a spare place in room boooked
need to talk to mile halliday first though , dont know what he has arranged yet ,
let me know mike  you found any one yet
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

conallon

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 02:34:55 am »
Hi Geoff
            come to think of it the chair in question does not live in Hull  ;D no not going to Carpex been up and running only three months all time and efforts spent building up business at mo  :P take it your going to carpex with mike and ashley,been out on slurp with ashley hes a mate of mark at trade print in Hull (small world)

Conrad