28 (28.9%)
no
55.7%
54 (55.7%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Ian W

Re: should ladders be banned
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:06 am »
I wonder why we get this topic come up so often? If cleaners are wfp, and don't use ladders, why are they so anxious to see ladders banned?  ???
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

paul rulton

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 09:59:03 am »
I wonder why we get this topic come up so often? If cleaners are wfp, and don't use ladders, why are they so anxious to see ladders banned?  ???
dont inc me in that Ian W  ;D the only reason i went wfp was 2try n keep workin  :-\
with my back being stuffed i had no choice  :(  i love trad   :)  was good at it 2  :(

lcwalker

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 10:01:11 am »
If any of the WFP guys voted yes just take a moment to think if they were starting from word go without much money how would they clean windows i bet the old fashioned traditional way.If they were banned it woundn't even give a newie starting out a chance is that fair i dont think so.
Also i did a new clean the other day and the window sills were the worst i have ever seen no way would a WFP have cleaned them properly, ive nothing against WFP i would love one but there is a time ladders do have to come out if you are going to do the job properly, if i hadn't been up the ladder to clean the sill properly i doubt i would have been payed, as someone else said it's not the ladder thats at fault in an accident it's the user.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 10:09:01 am »
And contrary to popular opinion, the restrictions are law, not just guidelines.
Rubbish, I've worked up ladders in front of police and H&S people and they've not said a word.

I see dozens of people up ladders every day.
Roofers, tv men, scaffolders, decorators, the list goes on...

Of course it's not illegal. Who told you that? A customer?  ::)

lcwalker

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 10:10:27 am »
yes over a certain height say about 20ft - 25ft
That isn't a bad point but how would it be inforced would a man come round with his tape measure?
I personally wont go any higher than 15 to 20ft.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 10:10:30 am »
Oh! Not another thread about someone being banned from the forum.

I know some of us like to mouth off sometimes, but ladders wasnt that bad was he, bad enough to be banned?

I know Ill miss him, perhaps he should come back under a pseudonym.

:D
Don't worry, he'll be back.

As "Steps" or "A-frame"... ;D

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 10:12:57 am »
morning all my thoughts like your are with this poor mans family horrible news.
now im talking from ignorance never used them but just wondering would a stand off and ladder spikes have made any differance, i know its impossible for anyone to answer as we dont know what happened in this one fall but im asking the question of people who use them can you improve the safety of the ladder your useing.

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:13 am »
ladders will never be banned as they are essential for all window cleaners from time to time.

do i climb ladders higher than first floor?never! ;) ;D ;D

ill be shortly changing over to wfp for nearly all my work.id rather keep my feet on the ground after 16 years of ladders but i will still need them for the odd access/first cleans/oxidized frames/old wooden/leaded windows etc.

why is it some wc s are having a problem with using ladders? or those that continue to use them? ::) ::)

its well known that wfp is a fantastic maintenance clean tool for the majority of regular work but is next to useless on very bad first cleans/paint/putty/silcone/grit/baked on bird dirt/bad frames etc.

sometimes getting up close to the window is the only way to do a good job of both frames and windows.

a good window cleaner should have all the tools in his locker for the job in hand.

wfp and trad. ;) ;D ;D

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

lcwalker

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:47 am »
If ladders were banned what would it be next having to have a 2 week course to use a wfp?, it sounds like some want traditional out of the way.Id love to go wfp but atm cant afford it but when i do ill always belive theres space left for the  traditional w/c, it was good enough before wfp came about and if resrictions were put on water usage they would soon be getting there ladders out again.

lcwalker

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 10:26:07 am »
its well known that wfp is a fantastic maintenance clean tool for the majority of regular work but is next to useless on very bad first cleans/paint/putty/silcone/grit/baked on bird dirt/bad frames etc.

sometimes getting up close to the window is the only way to do a good job of both frames and windows.

Totally agree.

Ian W

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 10:33:39 am »
dont inc me in that Ian W  ;D the only reason i went wfp was 2try n keep workin  :-\
with my back being stuffed i had no choice  :(  i love trad   :)  was good at it 2  :(

No, I don't include everyone.  ;D
I just wonder why so many are anxious to see a ban? Are they concerned that wfp is not the be all and end all and getting rid of trad will help their business? Do they think this will give them a headstart on trad only cleaners? I don't think it is compassion for ladder users.  :)

For the record, I use both methods.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

chopsie

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 11:14:41 am »
I have worked on many building sites over the years,from canary wharf,to Manchesters civil justice centre,and Manchesters media city,Londons white city and anywhere from Elgin in Scotland Down to Poole and probably further. Ladders are not banned, BUT their use is greatly restricted, You can use them for access only, or for short duration work. One part of our job was putting safety nets up,Using ladders for this was getting more and more difficult, Big name main contractors like Bovis or Laing 'o' Rourke etc virtually ban their use,every single possible alternative has to be used. Now as a one man band sole trader I do not think ladders could or would ever be banned (or restricted),But as an employer I think they will be,or if an accident happens you will be in serious bother. Also if your a firm that works on a commercial site (not you local butchers,bakers etc) I think because of their insurance/H&S policies I think it will become very difficult to be able to use them.As for step ladders,They are banned on building sites,I have never worked on a site in years where you can use a step ladder (except for odd poxy little firms). Other methods are not necesserily safer if the user is not, I know of numerous quite serious accidents and at least one fatality ( A sub contractor who worked with/for our firm) using cherry pickers and scissor lifts.
chopsie

Mike_G

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 11:27:36 am »
How many more times do we need to bring up this old chestnut?

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »
can anyone tell me if a stand off makes cleaning a fist floor window safer ?

C.C.W.C

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 01:43:07 pm »
maybe over a large height but i voted no

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 01:47:17 pm »
what are you on about?NEVER rest the stand off on the sill!!underneath on the brickwork if your using one.

dont give out dodgy/dangerous advice!! ::)
price higher/work harder!

martinsadie

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »
can anyone tell me if a stand off makes cleaning a fist floor window safer ?
no its not safer

martinsadie

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 01:55:58 pm »
seems to be a problem only to wfp guys this ladder job,perhaps they wernt very good at using them,but why try and stop us using them is beyond me

paul rulton

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 01:58:27 pm »
seems to be a problem only to wfp guys this ladder job,perhaps they wernt very good at using them,but why try and stop us using them is beyond me
haha think it was just me that couldnt use them  ::)  fell off twice  ::) didnt wannatry a 3rd  ;D

martinsadie

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 02:00:32 pm »
hitman why did you fall off were you rushing to make more money or careless,not having a pop but thats how most accidents happen,when ive fell i know why and put it right