pikeman

Re: Gardiners Poles...be wary
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 04:39:43 pm »
Had the extreme 25 a few days. fantastic pole a pleasure to use. If I get 2 years out of it will be well happy. Less fatigue so can clean a couple extra house a day. Pays for itself.

NWH

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 04:45:16 pm »
If a pole lasted a year or in that poles case 6 months and it snapped I wouldn't be overly miffed,by then that 1 pole should have earnt you thousands. Compared to carpenters plumbers and electricians we spend pittance on equipment and in a lot of cases we earn a lot more money.

CleanClear

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 07:03:30 pm »
I thought that you would get a lot longer than 6 years out of one. I'm gonna spray it matt black i think and put it on Ebay as a SLX, that should enable me to afford a new CLX. Can't be doing with this all the time.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

trippyboy

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 06:02:32 pm »
Blimey mate, how many grand did that pole earn you?

Tosh

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 06:24:12 pm »
It's a wind up.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

8weekly

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 06:26:24 pm »

Tosh

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 06:37:21 pm »
Bugger orf, I'm baby-sitting.  8)
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CleanClear

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 10:36:44 pm »
Believe it or not, i still been using that CLX27 up until this week. Just got a new SLX25, fitted a slick connect and a univalve. And of course an extreme brush. No words can describe it. Few hundred grammes on paper doesn't look much. If my maths is correct, and i might try it tomorrow, my CLX base section should also act as an extention for the SLX25. If it does great, if not then it doesn't matter i think i have two jobs where i have to get on my tiptoes.  ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Spruce

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 08:03:21 am »
Believe it or not, i still been using that CLX27 up until this week. Just got a new SLX25, fitted a slick connect and a univalve. And of course an extreme brush. No words can describe it. Few hundred grammes on paper doesn't look much. If my maths is correct, and i might try it tomorrow, my CLX base section should also act as an extention for the SLX25. If it does great, if not then it doesn't matter i think i have two jobs where i have to get on my tiptoes.  ;D

So what did you do with that broken section?  ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Steve.a

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 08:26:14 am »
Buy a broom from Wilko take the brush off the end of it and use the wooden pole bit to fix it by sliding the broken pieces over the wooden pole, then wrap it with a few rolls of duck tape and voila, new pole.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 09:23:48 am »
Buy a broom from Wilko take the brush off the end of it and use the wooden pole bit to fix it by sliding the broken pieces over the wooden pole, then wrap it with a few rolls of duck tape and voila, new pole.

Years ago between using an aluminium Unger pole and going for a Gardiners SLX I used a carbon fishing pole in sections in a golf bag for about a year. Incredibly light but very fragile. However the sections tapered so when one cracked I sawed off the ends and rammed them together giving a shortened but usable pole!

Fun times.
It's a game of three halves!

Jonny 87

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 09:32:31 am »
My extreme 22 is coming up to 2 years old and going strong. I don’t maintain it as much as I should either.

I’ve actually never replaced the stop tape.  :o

Wish I’d bought a 25 though. 25 suits my work a lot better.

I think this year I’m Going to go back to an 18 extreme and a 25 extreme.

I’ve got some days where an 18 does all
Day. Then others where I’ve got to get the 47 foot extreme out for some tricky dormas and velux that a 25 would reach. You live and learn.

Gardiners would have to do something really drastic for me to stop using their equipment. They are the best poles out in my opinion.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

AuRavelling79

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2018, 12:25:20 pm »
The Gardiners SLX and Extreme poles are excellent. When you add the customer service and the owner's unfailingly helpful, knowledgeable and polite attitude at all times it's a no-brainer for me when it comes to poles.
It's a game of three halves!

robbo333

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 01:46:21 pm »
My Extreme 22 does 99% of all my work.
I do have a couple of houses where I need an extra 4 foot, but I couldn't be bothered to pay for more extensions, so I just bought some cheap 6 foot step ladders.  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Spruce

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2018, 03:07:22 pm »

Years ago between using an aluminium Unger pole and going for a Gardiners SLX I used a carbon fishing pole in sections in a golf bag for about a year. Incredibly light but very fragile. However the sections tapered so when one cracked I sawed off the ends and rammed them together giving a shortened but usable pole!

Fun times.

That's exactly our route in carbon fiber poles.

I seem to think it was Jeff Brimble who started this but credit goes to our Tosh who gave us a step by step instruction manual of how to convert those fishing poles for us to follow on this forum. Ron Thompson Put Over poles for the pricely sum of £13.99 a set. With a converted Bentley brush they were so light. But I lost count of the number of times we left a disgarded section behind and had to go back for it. It got better when I left 2 sections joined together so it was easier to see if I had collected all the bits.

We still use our Unger Teleplus poles for high level squeegee and applicator work on a couple of internal jobs a year.

Its amazing how we can still look back on those early wfp days with a smile and a sense of achievement. We do call them the good old days but I definitely wouldn't want to go back to them.

Spruce

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 03:31:47 pm »
I do have a couple of houses where I need an extra 4 foot, but I couldn't be bothered to pay for more extensions, so I just bought some cheap 6 foot step ladders.  ;D

I saw someone standing on the roof of his van once to reach a window from the street side. Disclaimer: I'm not recommending this is the right solution.

dazmond

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 04:00:06 pm »

some right cheapskates on here! ;D

.........so you balance yourself on a step ladder while poling these particular windows do you?you could easily fall and injure yourself and be off work for a while all to save around  £90? ::)roll

i find a 25 ft pole the perfect size for most work,also i dont extend the sections fully when not needed to make the pole more rigid and to reduce wear....
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 04:01:04 pm »

I saw someone standing on the roof of his van once to reach a window from the street side. Disclaimer: I'm not recommending this is the right solution.

i remember that spruce....... ;D
price higher/work harder!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2018, 04:08:00 pm »

.........so you balance yourself on a step ladder while poling these particular windows do you?you could easily fall and injure yourself and be off work for a while all to save around  £90? ::)roll

i find a 25 ft pole the perfect size for most work,also i dont extend the sections fully when not needed to make the pole more rigid and to reduce wear....
And you don't use trip hazard cones or have public liability cover for property worked on Dazmond! Pot & Kettle? ;D

robbo333

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2018, 04:53:35 pm »

I always wear a high vis vest and a hard hat (obviously only when i'm up the stepladder) and I also wear a pendant indicating my blood type (should there be a problem).  Also a little tip...I chew gum when i'm up a ladder. Put a bit under your foot when you've reached working height and this helps with grip.  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"