craig jwc

Securing a watertank
« on: March 31, 2006, 11:12:59 pm »
I know you can get the frames to secure the tanks in the van but do you think using about 4 ratchet straps will be ok.

The tank i am fitting is a 250litre baffled upright

Craig

P @ F

Re: Securing a watertank
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 11:38:23 pm »
Ah , well that answers the Q on your other thread !
As you know i have the same tank with a 175 next to it aswell , on a half pallet , all i have done is used a pair of 3 tonne ratchets into large eye bolts through the floor , it has not moved since day one , and i have had a few hard breaking incidents too .

Rich  P @ F

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

craig jwc

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 12:21:05 am »
My problem is i have only a very weak looking frame just behind the drives seat.
I need it in the van for next week and haven't the time to pull everything out and make up a stronger frame behind the seats.

It's not too bad with the straps i have used but haven't filled it with water yet.

Craig

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 12:32:49 am »
IT is a very tall tank to have sat behind you !
Its difficult to advise without seeing it .

Rich  P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

craig jwc

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 12:37:47 am »
I know, i can just see over it into the back when i'm sat in the seat.

The straps i have are supposed to hold 300lb each which i believe is 150kilos

Craig

master cleaner

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 10:44:33 am »
better to be safe than sorry £105 delivered from omnipole why take the risk

gary

Stevie G

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 05:22:13 pm »
craig out of intrest wot van have u got.  darren

Tim Morton

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 05:28:17 pm »

Craig

The straps i have are supposed to hold 300lb each which i believe is 150kilos

Craig

Hi Craig, if you go for the straps I'd use ones rated at least 4 times the max load of the water, ie 250L = 250KG so use 2 - 4 one tonne straps, remember that when braking your tank effectively wieghs many times more than its static wieght.
Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

matt

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 05:31:39 pm »
I know you can get the frames to secure the tanks in the van but do you think using about 4 ratchet straps will be ok.

Craig

ive seen a car valetter fit a 250 L in the back of his van, he just ratchet strapped if to TWO metal bars which were bolted though the floor and the other side of the bar (under the floor) had metal bars on aswell

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 07:35:43 pm »
Estate car boy here!

I've got a 125L tank in the far back but it cannot go past the wheelarches because they encroach on the loadspace and the tank butts up against them.

Between the tank and the back seat (between the wheel arches) I have one 25L trolley barrel on one side and the pump box and leisure battery on the other.

In the front passenger footwell I have 2 x 25L barrels on the floor and one 25L barrel on it's side in a wooden frame on the front seat. (making 75L in all in the front)

Therefore I safely carry 225 Litres spread about the car in safe places.

The back seat has my trad gear, empty trolley and 30M hose-reel on a wooden frame which can be strapped in with the seat belts.

The pump-box (Aquatec 60Psi with variable flow by-pass loop) can transfer water to or from the 125L tank to the 25L barrels and if necessary the barrels can be removed and put on the trolley. If I come back with a partly full barrel I can pour it straight into the tank.

So all in all a versatile system until my car fails it's MOT in a big way and I buy a van!
It's a game of three halves!

craig jwc

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 11:32:08 pm »
Cheers for the info guys.

I took the wooden flooring out yesterday and fitted the tank using 4 x 300lb ratchet straps, using the securing rings in the floor.

Using these should give me about 600kg securing weight.

I will get these replaced end of the week with bigger ones i think, just to be one the safe side.

Haven't got any room left in the van now all my gear is in. Haven't even got room to secure hose reel so this is going to have to be left loose.

Was going to sort straps out today but been sat at A&E all day with my lad.
Bloody idiot managed to snap his left arm right across below the elbow. :'(

Craig