P @ F

P @ F ...RIPPED OFF BIG STYLE !
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:01:12 pm »
 Well it was only a matter of time until i happened again ....
This time though it was my own stupid fault . ;D ;D ;D see that , im still laughing , heres the story of my latest blunder .......

Went out on the usual round , got to first customer , bloke getting on a bit who is deaf as a post , started his windows and he comes out and asks if i have time to do his gutters and fascias we talked about a while ago , i ummed and ahhed but said yes , he said dont worry i will pay you the extra , fine i thought .

Did all the work and he came out and gave me £15 ! !
His windows alone are £10 !

I did not have the heart to explain that i meant £15 a side , front +back plus £10 for the windows , he thought i meant £15 all in !
It was my own fault for not explaining more clearly , remember he is deaf !

Gonna put this one down as my fault , he is good as gold and has put a few people my way so i will forgive him THIS TIME ...

And besides , the house opposite him saw what i had done and i have the same for them on Monday , This time £50 , i wrote it down too !

;D ;D ;D ;D   STILL LARFIN !   P @ F   
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Morph

Re: P @ F ...RIPPED OFF BIG STYLE !
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:04:13 pm »
 ;DYou remind me a bit of me  :o

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:07:45 pm »
Pj,

Should Rich be frightened now then ? LOL   ;)

Nah, you know I think your a cool dude.  Distinguished and cool - some people have it, some dont.

Me, I have a great set of eye bags growing.  Just suddenly started sprounting one morning.  More or less the same time as the lines started to appear.  :'(  LOL

Sarah
Sarah

sunshine windows

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:07:58 pm »
That's quality P@F. Makes you wonder whether they're trying it on or not though.

Good that you've got a sense of humour about it.

Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:10:08 pm »
Does it ring a bell with you too ?
Glad im not the only one to screw up  ;D

Im just glad they came up clean with one swipe of the brush , it could have cost me dearly else

Rich  P @ F

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 06:48:39 pm »
Does it ring a bell with you too ?
Glad im not the only one to screw up  ;D

Im just glad they came up clean with one swipe of the brush , it could have cost me dearly else

Rich  P @ F

I guess we all make ba lls ups like that from time to time.  They are much less frequent than they were but I don't think I'll ever stop making them completely.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 08:35:04 pm »
So everything i told my grandad worked then lol.

They do it on purpose you know , I know because one told me they try it on everywhere they go,on the bus,in the shop,in a taxi, the milkman etc.

They must save themselves £50 a week.

He must have been dancing around the room when you left

Dave

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 08:53:15 pm »
Hi Dave , that thought did cross my mind , but i dont think it was a con on his part , at least i hope it wasnt !
Another day , another lesson learnt , this kind of job is always done in not so good weather , so i know when they are comming up in advance , maybe from now on i will print out a quote and drop it in , just so i know the price is crystal clear .

Rich P @ F 

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 08:59:49 pm »
thanks for the mail earlier. i bought the van i told you about ,it seems all right .

I hope !!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 09:54:26 pm »
I did not have the heart to explain that i meant £15 a side , front +back plus £10 for the windows , he thought i meant £15 all in !
It was my own fault for not explaining more clearly , remember he is deaf !

;D ;D ;D ;D   STILL LARFIN !   P @ F   

I've had similar confusion when quoting for 'add-ons', but luckily my poor communication was ironed out before I started the job.

Anyway, It just shows you're a decent bloke and next time you'll know to give a price for the windows (the normal price) and say on top of that it'll be £XX for the extra work!

I think £15 per side is a bit cheap though; for a terraced house.  You could charge £20 a side at least (that's my price for a terraced house) and I rarely get a refusal. 

'Professional' gutter cleaners charge far, far more.  Your customers would be getting their gutters cleaned for at least half-price for £40 for a terraced house.

Lee.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 11:00:10 pm »
Hi Rich,

I live opposite that man, he came across and told me and my neighbours how cheap you are! fancy doing some more at that price?   ;)

Lee

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 11:43:45 pm »
No i know £15 is far too cheap per side , i now go in for at least £25 , the price he got was given a while ago , so i had to honour it .
And he still stuffed me !   ;D ;D ;D

Rich   P @ F

Steve Mac

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 08:02:01 am »
And i thought i was the only muggins window cleaner!

I've got this old bat who's garage door i wiped down for 3 quid once, only the next time she wanted it done, she gave me the whole "i'm so poor" thing. I don't mind being a soft touch occasionally, only the next thing she said was: "And i'm down to my last 16 grand"!! I did it for free tho for some reason, and now she expects it done for free EVERY MONTH!

I know it sounds harsh, but these old folk know exactly what buttons to push!
Become a man of the cloth. Pick up thy squeegee my child!

The Fox

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 09:09:31 am »
I had one gave him is quote,

Is reply
 That’s double what my last cleaner charged. He then went into the details why it could not afford it.
I stuck to my guns and refused to lower my price.

He just smiled at me agreed to pay my price then said the last window cleaner probably went bankrupt for charging too little.

What he didn’t know was that I knew he had a cleaner and gardener. And could afford what I quoted. He was just trying to con me into lowering my price.

I had a smile on my face when I walked away.

Usually I am a soft touch with pensioners. I have been ripped of on a couple of times by them.

Not this time. ;D ;D

Morph

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 01:52:26 pm »
Old lady, about 85..."Would you mind doing the insides for me, dear, I just can't reach anymore?"
Idiot me...."Of course, no problem!"
It's in an old folks block..2 windows and a glazed door.

Old lady, "How much do you want dear?"
Idiot me, "£3.00 please my luv!"
Old lady, "Oooh, thats lovely, so nice to have them cleaned by someone you can trust."
Old lady, "Here's my purse dear, just help yourself, my fingers don't work anymore."
Idiot me, "NO, No, you shouldn't let people do that!  That's how older folks are taken advantage of!"
Old lady, "Don't be silly dear, I know I can trust you.  Here just help yourself."
Idiot me, "I'll tip it all out here on the table so you can see exactly what I'm taking, OK?"
Old lady, "Alright dear, if you must.  Have I got the right change in there."
Idiot me, "Let's have a look....One, two,....errrmmm...ten pence, thirty....ahhh, emmm."
Old lady, "Don't worry about the rest, I'll tidy up after you've gone.  Thank you dear, you are kind."
Idiot me.......walks off 25 minutes later with everything she had in her purse ....  75pence!!!

Old lady waving, "Do come again."

This happened 3 months ago, not 3 decades ago!
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)