Lee.

help with protectakote Please
« on: March 31, 2006, 01:39:18 pm »
I have just bought the protectakote kit it seems like it is very good stuff but I was a little disapointed that they never provided the cleaner or the primer.

Does anyone know what I can use to clean the bed floor before I apply protectakote? The Instructions say Xylene but I and many shops in our area have never heard of it. Any idea where I can get it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lee

Re: help with protectakote Please
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 03:19:37 pm »
hi i used protakote on my van floor all i did (as i found the same a yourself finding the stuff) was to fill in all gaps and throughly clean floor i used boiling water moped it let it dry then painted on top and it turned out great though i'm sure if you followed their instructions you'll be fine also you can buy the stuff though it will probably be who you bought it from will sell it i decided it was not worth bothering and did my own way  ;D still looks good now though a little discoloured as i've spilt stuff on floor  ;D

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 03:39:26 pm »
Hi Lee,

We stock 1 litre cans of xylene at £9, plus £2 carriage plus VAT.  See http://www.andwat.co.uk/acatalog/ANTI-CORROSION_PAINT.html

If you only want a much smaller quantity, you can buy Hammerite thinners (which are also xylene) from Halfords or other Hammerite stockists, although they charge a much higher price per litre.

Hope this helps,

Andrew Greenhalgh

Morph

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 03:42:43 pm »
same.  I couldn't be bothered finding someone who supplied Xylene, mind you mine is a second hand van.  The floor was already a bit kicked about, so I washed it a few times, then rubbed it down with wet 'n dry, not too thoroughly, just to give it a key, washed and dried it, then gave it 2 coats.  Went on easy and stuck fast.  If you have an older van it's the best method.  if new, I would have got speedliner and got it done by a pro.  But I reckon this will last at least 2 years if not 3.

WavieDavie

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »
Hi Lee

The Zylene is really for thinning or getting the stuff off your hands. It doesn't need thinned for how you're using it, so if you wear a pair of disposable gloves that problem's solved.

You can get it from a professional painter and decorator supplies company if you're desperate, but they normally sell it in 5 litre tins - way more than you'll ever need. I'd send you my 4.95 litres left-overs but the post office get a bit shirty on inflamable liquids. If you're ever in Edinburgh though, just pop in!

Give the floor and about 3-4 inches up on the walls a good scrub with an abrasive cloth or even emery paper to key the surface and make sure you dry it off before applying. I was advised to use an abrasive cream cleaner like Jif but it's a bit messy. Don't just do the floor, coat the first few inches up the way too, and take off any door trims, etc and put them back later. Pour some onto the floor and then use the roller to spread it around - using that wee roller tray's a waste of time.

Check the weather forecast for a dry day, because you'll need to keep all the doors open for as long as you can - the neighbours were complaining when I did mine! Make sure you apply the second coat before the first one starts to set or you'll have to key the surface again. If there's any left after that, use up the rest on the bits where you think you'll get the most wear.

I bought my latest van from a landscaper who was trading up to a bigger one. I was just getting used to the smell of manure stuck in the rear vent when I did the Protectakote - I'm not sure which one's worst!

Have fun  ;)
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

JM123

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 05:09:32 pm »
definitely wear gloves, I spilled some on my hands for the a van I done about 2 months ago and still have some on my hands - very nasty
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Majestic

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 05:32:58 pm »
Plus your van will stink for about a week when you have done it

spotless2000

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 07:09:15 pm »
I just prepared my van floor using Scotchbrite pads and then washed with soapy water and rinsed twice, allowed 24 hrs to dry and then applied two coats of the protectakote.  Came up a treat!

Beacause I did it during the cold weather it took nearly 2 weeks for the fumes to go! :P

Good luck.

Steve

Lee.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 08:03:31 pm »
Thank you so much guys for your help ;)

I can always depend on this forum for the best answers, I feel like a good cleaning out the van day coming on... nope must of been wind!!

Take care
Lee