Steve Mac

To go or not to go...
« on: March 30, 2006, 05:14:04 pm »
 Hi folks, never posted before, but i'm in need of some educated opinions.
 I'm aware that this will be likely be going over some very old ground, but please bear with me..
 I've been in business for about 7 years now, and have always cleaned trad. The problem with this, is my-  ahem.. "respect" of heights. I've had more than my fair share of near misses - you know, ladders sinking into gravel, sliding back a little etc, and since hearing about this WFP thing, it's slowly starting to sound like a good idea.
 Not having to risk my neck for the sake of a window is an appealing prospect, but i certainly don't want to spend all my cash on a system, only to find it doesn't do the job so well. Older windows with scabby paintwork seem like a perfect example.
 Anyway, i'm waffling now. Basically i need persuading. To go WFP, or to stay a man of the cloth? Some of the posts on this forum have really helpful, so if someone could enlighten me, that'd be great!
Become a man of the cloth. Pick up thy squeegee my child!

Alex Gardiner

Re: To go or not to go...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 05:25:59 pm »
I had been a traditional window cleaner for 16 years when I made the switch 5 years ago.

The only thing that I regret is that I didn't listen to my American friends, who had been using the system for years, sooner.

I think that I would stop window cleaning sooner than go back to traditional ways.

Alex

master cleaner

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 05:34:16 pm »
i started window cleaning in 1995 traditionally and 5 months ago i went to wfp i will not be climbing a ladder again i dont even have them on my van anymore.

ps the only time i will climb ladders is if i restore someones frames but i charge a minimum of £10 per window for that

hope this convinses you helps

gary

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 05:39:56 pm »
been w/c for many years,
went over to wfp 1 year ago and no looking back
would not even consider trad methods on top windows

WFP may save your life 1 day
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 06:05:48 pm »
Hi folks, never posted before, but i'm in need of some educated opinions.
 I'm aware that this will be likely be going over some very old ground, but please bear with me..
 I've been in business for about 7 years now, and have always cleaned trad. The problem with this, is my-  ahem.. "respect" of heights. I've had more than my fair share of near misses - you know, ladders sinking into gravel, sliding back a little etc, and since hearing about this WFP thing, it's slowly starting to sound like a good idea.
 Not having to risk my neck for the sake of a window is an appealing prospect, but i certainly don't want to spend all my cash on a system, only to find it doesn't do the job so well. Older windows with scabby paintwork seem like a perfect example.
 Anyway, i'm waffling now. Basically i need persuading. To go WFP, or to stay a man of the cloth? Some of the posts on this forum have really helpful, so if someone could enlighten me, that'd be great!

I've been traditional window cleaning since 1991.  I went over to WFP last October/November and introduced it to my business in stages.  The adjustment has been difficult at times though I seem to be gradually getting the hang of it.  I've been getting some complaints but it seems OK on around 85% - 90% of my work.  Currently, I'm not enjoying my work like I used to as I keep wondering when the next bout of customer moaning will occur.  I have to say that some (but not all) of the complaints have been justified.  Most jobs and customers are OK with WFP but my business is currently going through a transition.  This transition is being delayed by pending drought orders.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 06:42:32 pm »
22 years a window cleaner, the last 2 of them I've been WFP.

I no longer climb ladders to clean windows.  period!

Well, ok. perhaps there is and will always be the odd occasion when I need to work off a ladder.
Builders cleans and so on, for that type of work you have to get up close and personal.

Manky window frames can cause problems, but just how many of them do you come across nowadays??

As an example, the other day I cleaned a large and ancient house, it was last cleaned about 5 or 6 years ago.
There were windows that were badly oxidized, many of the windows were literally encrusted with cobwebs, the paintwork on all of them was dirty and grubby, so of the wiindows had all manner of gaps, they were covered in leaves and pine needles, spider eggs spun into just about ever corner on every window,  dead insects abounded.

I really couldn't have had a bigger challenge for a WFP clean.

I still washed and cleaned up all of the frames as well as the glass and when I eventually checked back over the work (it took the best part of 3 hours to do, so many windows were dry after that time) and the results were good.
There were a few panes here and there that I had to go over again with applicator and squeegee, but this was a first clean on a very old house, and it came up to a very acceptable standard.
The frames looked like they had just been painted again when compared to the mess they were in when I started.

Bear in mind that you will frequently hear it said on the forum how it can take a couple of cleans before you begin to get a top notch result.

I almost achieved this on a first clean on a house that hadn't been cleaned in several years, and was also the kind of job that you would think you would dread doing with WFP.

WFP is not a magic wand, and I certainly would not recommend a WFP newbie to attempt the job I described above.

It is easy to screw up with WFP, but as you gain experience you learn how to ensure you get the desired results almost all of the time.
I won't say all of the time, because you will get it wrong now and again.

I was watching another window cleaner do the local police station off a ladder...he made me wince to watch him!
A big wooden extension ladder (too big), no feet on it and he was cleaning the upstairs windows.
The windows are very tall, he was standing near the very top of the ladder, balancing on one leg, one hand was reaching up above his head to grab hold off the window, with the other he was reaching above that to clean the pane above, he was even on his tip-toes (toe :-\)
Talk about asking for trouble eh?

A job like this would have been oh so much safer had he been using WFP.
He didn't do that good a job either, and the frames looked really poor, something else he would have got to look 1000% better had he a WFP.

The firm was one of those big national companies that also do all the office cleaning and so on, so I've no doubt they also do all of the police stations in the county....hope he does a better job on the others :-\

The plus points of WFP far outweigh the minus points, and by a big margin too.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Steve Mac

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 08:15:17 pm »
Cheers Ian, you've given me alot to think about. Jobs like you just described make up a big chunk of my work. I live in the Scottish borders, and there's loads of old piles and farm houses with what looks like the original paintwork. I'm of to scour the threads on D.I.Y trolleys next... :P
Become a man of the cloth. Pick up thy squeegee my child!

pjulk

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:15:54 pm »
I changed over from traditional to WFP a year ago and never looked back.
I had my doubts at first but i get good results from the WFP and my customers have taken to it well.

I have a couple of jobs that i still do off ladders due to no suitable for wfp for whatever reason.

My ladders get used about 4 times a week.
I need them for the few i do traditionally and for flat roofs.

I would never go back to ladders full time and all new customer i take on if it needs a ladder i won't take them on

Paul

matt

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:24:44 pm »
I'm of to scour the threads on D.I.Y trolleys next... :P

check out the DIY site and forum for idea's

http://d.co.uk/

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 08:36:23 pm »
Squeekie (G) here!

Yew don't want a spray on a stick - it's a waste of time for mamby-pamby wooftahs.

Just think of the things you'll be missing out on!

The taste of raw heart in your mouth as the ladder stiles slip back on the gravel.

The feeling of dare I or daren't I? As you wonder just how slippery that green patio slab is.

The adrenaline rush as the wind blows your ladder along the sill but stops against the wall at the last moment.

The easy (and pay-free) day as you think "It's too windy!" and stay at home.

The windbag chats with the Victor Meldrews about not wanting wet walls and how the old days were better and steam was better than diesel and getting change o' sixpence for a bag o' chips etc etc.

And the finish!

No more top left corner of the frame missed because you can't reach even by standing on the second rung, leaning to the left and holding onto the opening transom.

All those windows above conservatories, steep porches, roof lights that you just left before.

No more squeegie "kicks" shimmering in the sunshine!

--------------------

Better run now before the real Squeaky turns up to put me right! Here he comes now!

------------------

Squeaky clean: "Naaah! Can't be bovvered... you can't educate pork!"

;D We all love you squeaky!
It's a game of three halves!

brett walker

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 11:23:50 pm »
 Hi Steve Mac

i have been trad for 15yrs been wfp for about 5 months and finding it easier and easier although we still do some of our work trad, changing over in stages.  Its like starting a whole new job hard work at first but very rewarding some days ive thought its easier to chuck the ladder on, but im just moving with the times and the safety issue

Oh yes and the money's better ;)

Brett

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 12:29:09 pm »

Oh yes and the money's better ;)

Brett

Brett,

Not always.  Today I earnt exactly the same what I would've had I used ladders.

The only difference is I was finished by mid-day instead of 3.00 pm (ish).

Today I started just after 8.00 am, cleaned three shops (with a squeegie), inside and out, then did the exterior of a small/medium sized leaded-windowed hotel; which used to be a proper bugger 'handbashing' it the old fashioned way.

Now it's a doddle.  Today's hourly rate must rival a solicitors, after his over-heads have been deducted; or Roy Hardings ;)

I wish everyday was like today!