Southern & South East Drought Meeting
« on: March 29, 2006, 06:07:59 pm »
Good evening everyone,

I have just returned from the Public meeting. I will give you a brief overview of what happened.

Traditional Window cleaning is still allowed, even if the drought order goes through.

At present, WFP is to be banned; however, this is currently under review.

Due to the amount of people attending the meeting, If there was several people all within the same industry, only one person was given the chance to speak properly. When asked who would speak, Craig put himself forward. His introduction was, he was representing the BWCA & FWC.

There where two main questions put to Craig, one was What does the Working at height directive mean and how does it affect window cleaners. Well probably no better person could answer this and he did very well, even thought the Water authorities where trying to side step it and only produced half of the actual report.

The second question was what is the consumption of water in these areas, this has been left unanswered at the moment, or the water authorities estimated figures might have been accepted.

The suggestion was put forward that WFP operators should still be allowed to work, due to their investment and also, that they could work to strict guidelines!!! Not to use the poles on ground floor levels and to carry a valid risk assessment on any property you are working on, that can clarify you are safer using the pole than ladders.

Obviously, the Chairman at the meeting will review the WAHD properly and also probably contact the HSE for further information, before any recommendations are made.

I produced a hand out for the people of the meeting that contained 5 pages (118) of people supporting the petition. Information relating to what questions where asked on the petition, 1 page containing averages from the information I received and 4 pages of graphs (1 per page) showing amount of employees, methods used, annual income and how this may effect your businesses. I will upload all these details to the APWC web site this evening.

We have also been advised, anyone within the drought area can transport water from other areas that are not effected by the drought to use for your wfp. However, this may prove costly.

All's we can do now is keep our fingers crossed.

Many Thanks

Andrew

Roy Harding

Re: Southern & South East Drought Meeting
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:14:54 pm »
Thanks Andrew for keeping us informed and for all the work you have put in.

Roy

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 06:16:52 pm »
Well done Andrew,

Even though Derbyshire is not affected by the drought order, i'm pleased the industry is getting this sort of representation.

Stuart

JohnL

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:53:53 pm »
It sounds as you guys have done an excellent job and all of you should be congratulated on your efforts, time and support you are giving to WCers in general.

For information purposes could you tell us who 'ran' the meeting, ie was it a Water Board or an ombudsman deciding on an order required by the Water Board?

You have probably stated that previously elsewhere but ?

Congratulations again

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:54:48 pm »
thanx andrew
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

The Fox

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 07:06:11 pm »
Andrew

Thank you for all the work you have done, also anyone else that has worked in highlighting this problem and bringing the concerns of the window cleaning industry to the attention of the relative authorities.

If it was not for your efforts we would all be in a lot worse position.  :)

Kevin

macc

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 08:14:01 pm »
thank you ANREW.

its appriciated all the time & hard work you & anyone else have put in for me & others. Many youve not even met like myself.

macc.  ;D

gaza

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 09:33:46 pm »
thanks andrew forall youve done,but surely the water board has a duty of care,so you can go to work also is  it written in the directive of working from heights Apriil 2005.
Bet its been overlooked [well thought out] w/c would be better politicians than politicians becoming w/c

IF SOMEONE WERE KILLED BECAUSE HE WENT BACK ON LADDERS,I BET THE WATER BOARD WOULD BE SWEATING.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

boshravie

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:17:56 pm »
well done andrew.we all knew you will achive our gole.

gaza

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 11:04:37 pm »
BOSHRAIVE: DO YOU KNOW THEY NEVER USED ANY MORTOR TO BUILD THEM POINTY THINGS BEHIND YOU IN YOUR PIC. AND THEY SWORE BLIND THEY WOULDNT LAST ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 07:48:47 am »
Now that yesterdays is over -  a disaster. Could I suggest that until the report is published officially that you may want to keep your ideas of getting round it to yourselves.
 8) If you are playing poker would you want to stand up and show your hand.

carl stanton

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 10:17:43 pm »
many thanks for all your efforts!! and for the e-mail will look out to see how it goes.
slap to all who didnt sign!  :o   ;)

macc

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 10:27:05 pm »
if they didnt sign, ban them.

macc

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 10:33:44 pm »
who ever didnt sign deserves to be banned, times like this we need to stand together, it makes me sick when some one sit there moaning & does nothing. why should others make a stand for some one if they cant spend 5 mins filling in a pitition.  ???

many thanks once again. macc.  ;D

carl stanton

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 10:36:30 pm »
not even 5 min!!
  :-[
 :'(

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 10:41:54 pm »

there should be no incriminations on here for those who did not sign.

Everyone has a choice wether they sign or not.

I for one will not be party to a witch hunt.

we have just had this same thing on another forum and it started to get out of hand.

Some people signed and some did not,

Now lets leave it at that

Dave

carl stanton

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 10:47:08 pm »
 :-[ sorry dave!! didnt mean to be nasty! point taken  :'(

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 10:51:55 pm »
its ok it is so easy for this to get out of hand due to the high feelings.

So for the sake of the forum its best left.

Dave

macc

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 10:58:31 pm »
i wasnt being nasty or trying to be vindictive, only trying to say we need to help each other. support costs nothing. being a couch potato doesnt help.

but if i have offended anyone, IM SORRY.

macc

carl stanton

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 11:02:38 pm »
macc i wasnt saying you was being nasty though just keeping the peace i think, no but it is great when we can stick together and help eachother out, we are all in the same boat one way or another!

brett walker

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 11:12:33 pm »
thanks andrew  :)

always helping others  8)

brett

macc

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 11:15:51 pm »
hi carl, thats cool mate, unfortunatly its costing me restless nights proberbly like many others,

unberlivable, us lot are worried we might not be able to work, & half the nation is worried they may loose their bennifit & have to work.  ???

wierd country or what.

macc

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 11:20:48 pm »
macc

I dont think it will come to wfp not being allowed to work.

I think you will have to wait and see.

The first thing you can do is collect rain water or get your water from outside the area.

I am sure there will be a solution which does not involve any inconvenience at all.

Keep your chin up mate.

Dave

macc

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 11:45:37 pm »
will do dave. trying different things so i dont use too much water, now using 3mm jets, reckon im using about 25% less water ;D. sorting out 2 auto brushes next week ;D.

im trying to do my bit.
thanks dave

macc

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 11:56:39 pm »
who ever didnt sign deserves to be banned, times like this we need to stand together, it makes me sick when some one sit there moaning & does nothing. why should others make a stand for some one if they cant spend 5 mins filling in a pitition.  ???

many thanks once again. macc.  ;D

People may have had perfectly good reasons for not signing other than lethargy or apathy.
Before you ask, yes I did sign and I attended the Sutton and East Surrey public hearing.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2006, 01:00:26 am »
Well I do hope my email got through but like others I guess I'm not that sure it was received, should I still be judged upon? My thanks do go out to those who are fighting our case.   
Sussex by the sea

carl stanton

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 06:53:45 pm »
 thank you steve k! good link!   ;D
are we all happy! the sun is begining to shine  8)  and it rain last night so thats good! i think  ???

macc

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 07:11:14 pm »
rain at night.  ;D sun and dry by day.  ;D ;D. perfect.

macc

petetaylor56

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 07:38:07 pm »
 :)thanks to all involved for your hard work  :)
today i be mostly wfp