Phil Mitchell

1st day went ok
« on: March 28, 2006, 05:02:54 pm »
Thanks for all your advice last week. Started cleaning for money yesterday and feel it went ok. Im way to slow but wanted to make sure I done a good job. I cleaned all their frames thinking if I do it this once it should make my life alot easier next month. Still can't get the hang of squeegeing. When I'm working above my head Ialways leave smears on the right hand side of the window but when working level or below I cruise through it, any ideas? Today I was quicker but still taking too long although I did manage two 3 bed semi in 1 hour.
Im aching all over now, hopefully the wife will give me a massage, the life of a window cleaner eh!

RO-Sheen

Re: 1st day went ok
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 05:11:54 pm »
Well done mate, Im a newbie myself but I am using the wfp system! Had some lessons from other window cleaners in the past with squeegees but the best bit of advise was from Woodley Washers who told me to let your wrist do all the work. Try it, its alot easier if you concentrate on that! (at least - I think he was referring to squeegee work!!!!) 
Formerly known as GARGAAX

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:14:50 pm »

Im aching all over now,

I remember that.  I left the army to become a window cleaner, so was fairly fit, however after my first couple of days I felt like I'd been giving a 'good kicking'.

My hands hurt, shoulders ached and I couldn't stretch my arm to lift an item from a top-shelf'.

Stick with it though; your body will adapt; along with your technique.

It just takes a bit of time, practice and determination.

Good luck!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 05:41:45 pm »
Nice one Phil. :)
Well done for not giving up already.

I remember those first few days(or weeks), it's quite a shock how much it takes out of you.

As the others have said it gets much better after a while and you'll suffer much less. ;)
Then after a few years you'll feel like I did, that you can push really hard and work faster...then it gets knackering again. ;D

Rog.

MNWC

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 06:22:07 pm »
Good on yer fella  ;)

where abouts in Norkolk are you ?

Im on the Norfolk/lincs border a place called Long Sutton

All the best

Marcus

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:05:33 pm »
Thanks for all your advice last week. Started cleaning for money yesterday and feel it went ok. Im way to slow but wanted to make sure I done a good job. I cleaned all their frames thinking if I do it this once it should make my life alot easier next month. Still can't get the hang of squeegeing. When I'm working above my head Ialways leave smears on the right hand side of the window but when working level or below I cruise through it, any ideas? Today I was quicker but still taking too long although I did manage two 3 bed semi in 1 hour.
Im aching all over now, hopefully the wife will give me a massage, the life of a window cleaner eh!

Hi Phil.
I would say that 2 x 3 bedroom semis (including frames) in one hour is just fine as a starting point.  I assume that they were also first cleans?  I suggest just plod around on your first cleans and gradually get your technique right.  By the time you get around to doing them the second or third time, you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Phil Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:22:30 pm »
Hi everyone
It's good to know that you think I'm doing ok. The work is still coming in even though I havent put any flyers out for over a week now. Im off tomorrow to continue canvassing in a local town which, I've been informed, is crying out for window cleaners. I've also been phoned by a local chap who wishes to pass over twenty odd properties that he's unable to cope with.
On Friday i've two large houses that I'm charging £25 an hour and I gave a quote today on a victorian property that, if I get will earn £45 (akward windows). Im cleaning internal aswell on that one. It's amazing how much work there seems to be out there, I wish I'd started this ages ago!
Hi Marcus, I know Long Sutton well. I've some friends who live on Hospital Drove. I live ten miles south of Norwich on the A140. It takes me just over an hour to get to Long Sutton. Very rural out there, where do you get most of your work? Nice part of the world though.
Take care
Phil

sunshine windows

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 08:03:30 pm »
Well done Phil. Looks like you're really getting stuck into it. Good move cleaning all the framework on the first clean. The customers love this sort of attention to detail. It'll probably only need doing thoroughly once every 3 months after that, depending on main roads etc. Make sure you clear all cobwebs and egg balls from the corners and frames too. This should help with having to clean spider poo off the windows next time round.

I'm sure you'll be flat out with work in no time if you keep up the good standards.

All the best,
Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

gaza

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:48:29 pm »
wHY DO THEY CALL IT LONG SUTTON COUGH WHILE YOUR DRIVIING AND YOU WILL HAVE MIISSED IT?

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 09:54:51 pm »
Phil

10 miles south of Norwich must be around Tasburgh / long Statton

Chris

Phil Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 07:20:34 am »
Hi Chris
Your spot on, I live in Long Stratton. Do you know the area well?
Phil

Phil Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 07:24:41 am »
Me again
Just checked out your website Chris, your very local. A beer somewhen prehaps?
Phil

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 07:49:48 am »
I quite often get asked if I do Long Stratton, Which I dont but If you want I can pass on your number next time I get an enqiury

Beer sounds good though :)

Have been around S/Norfolk all my life, give us a call if you need to

Chris

MNWC

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 07:16:22 pm »
Phil,
Glad your getting plenty of work  ;)

Its a small world ive got two  houses in hospital drove.

I clean a lot of commercal, with weekly cleans of a high street  food store (7 of them) and food factories, keeps me out of trouble !!