H20cleaning

Slow progress gaining work...
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:40:41 am »
At the start of the year work was coming in fast, i then went away for 10days. I have been home over 6 weeks now and not got any newbys! Anyone else finding these summer holidays slow.

Spruce

Re: Slow progress gaining work...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:54:25 am »
There was another windy in Teesside that has picked up a lot of work in Inglby Barwick recently as a cleaner has just stopped.

I don't know which section, so if you are in need of work, then I suggest that you door knock that area in an organised, preplanned manner. You may hit it lucky.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Archer

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:01:02 am »
H20

Try thinking outside the box and think of everyway possible that is correct behaviour in picking work up and get in to it.

You have to get at it, because its there,

Archer

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:02:58 am »
I now pick and choose what I want to clean, and refuse quite a bit of work

Perfect Windows

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:18:01 am »
At the start of the year work was coming in fast, i then went away for 10days. I have been home over 6 weeks now and not got any newbys! Anyone else finding these summer holidays slow.

We tend to get a slight dip in August - if you remember that most of the working population of Britain (about 1/2) go on holiday for two weeks over a six week period, that means that 1/6 of the population is away at any one time over the summer holidays.

That said, it's normally a dip rather than the kind of slump you've hit.

Leaflet, leaflet, leaflet is our solution.

Cue the usual suspect to tell us why that won't work and that doorknocking is the only possible way to gain customers.

Vin

Archer

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:22:33 am »
Perfect windows,

Who is the usual suspect

H20cleaning

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:27:56 am »
I already do alot of work on inglby barwick so i might get 10,000 leaflets shot out there. I have enough work to keep going but just abit gutting when your having a bad patch!

Perfect Windows

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 10:32:44 am »
Perfect windows,

Who is the usual suspect

I couldn't possibly say.  He gets a bit ... er, overexcited if I point out that he's a monomaniac.  He'll be along presently.

Vin

Archer

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:33:35 am »
Does his name begin with m

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:26 pm »
I find leaflets a waste of money there are not better that knocking does take balls. I have days were I get 3-4 new ones just from people around my existing custies.By asking anyone I see out and about.

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 03:00:27 pm »
H20

Try thinking outside the box and think of everyway possible that is correct behaviour in picking work up and get in to it.

Perfect advice.
Thats exactly what i do chase the work as it wont simply come to you! Why wait for a standalone job from website when you can canvass the whole street and get 3 or 4.
Why spend all delivering 1000 leaflets for 2 customers if your lucky when you could spend all day canvassing and pick up 15 plus.
There are far too many window cleaners out now to get a huge flow of customers coming in unless you go and get them yourself.

tom20001

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 03:10:44 pm »
H20

Perfect advice.
Thats exactly what i do chase the work as it wont simply come to you! Why wait for a standalone job from website when you can canvass the whole street and get 3 or 4.
Why spend all delivering 1000 leaflets for 2 customers if your lucky when you could spend all day canvassing and pick up 15 plus.
There are far too many window cleaners out now to get a huge flow of customers coming in unless you go and get them yourself.

+1

roundbuilder

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 03:52:19 pm »
I do love people who "think" they are funny and clever!.
I just gave my opinion on a proven method that is faster at gaining work than waiting for work to come to you from leaflets/websites.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 05:16:29 pm »
I just gave my opinion on a proven method that is faster at gaining work than waiting for work to come to you from leaflets/websites.

No humour intended at all.  I was deadly serious.

QED - look it up - means that what was to have been proven was proven.

I predicted someone would "tell us why that won't work and that doorknocking is the only possible way to gain customers" and someone did.  QED.

You see, I think both have their place.  You don't.  Odd, that.  I seem to be doing OK.  I was even told I have extremely compact work the other week, which surprised me greatly.

And here's another prediction (that I hope won't come true).  Your response - if there is one - will be a personal insult: e.g. I "think" I am funny or clever or I'm a mong or a claim that I've lost my rag or some other ad hominem attack.

Vin

robertphil

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:23:30 pm »
iv doorknocked and iv leafletted - in the short term doorknocking will give you summat  to get on with, BUT leafletting has an advantage in that it will get you a slow trickle of work , lasting a lot longer, some folk ring years later i have found

home6442

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »

Totally agree,
How many leaflets do we all get daily and how many do we read.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 05:29:37 pm »

Totally agree,
How many leaflets do we all get daily and how many do we read.

My customers all read them.  Then they phoned us.  To be fair, we only have 856 of them, though.

And the odd thing?  The thing that people forget?  The leaflets went out when I was cleaning windows or, better, when I was spending time with the kids or the wife, or was on holiday.

Vin

PAUL ERITH

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 05:36:00 pm »
I have picked up new customers every week since the start of this year.

This month i have had 7 new residential customers plus new shops and industrial units

Paul

Archer

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 05:38:40 pm »
I have hardly ever done leaflets, but I think if I did it would be good,

I think of other things to do to try to gain work, and I have picked up the most amount of work in the last 6 weeks, than I ever have in 23 years of running my business.

Do the groundwork, and do a good job and the work will come to you.

Well that's how I have done it, I know it wont work for all but then again I am obsessed with thinking of new ideas and ways of retaining my work and getting more, although like I have already mentioned I refuse quite a lot of work and cherry pick what I want to go for.