mark mids

Another DI Q
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »
Hi Guys

I am taking the plunge this year and going down the WFP route after three years trad, I have looked at the different systems on offer and have decided to have a van mounted system, so i was under the impression that i needed an RO pluss a Di vessel as im in a hard water area, But when i dropped into the window cleaning wharehouse in wolverhampton the other day the guy say i only need a Di Vessel?? im getting more confused buy the day  :P it would be better for me to just use a DI becuase i have got to run the water straight to the van! so this i hear would be quicker, But i want to be sure im gonna get pure water.
Any help or info would be great guys

cheers
Mark

steven ainger

Re: Another DI Q
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »
What do you mean you have to run the water straight to the van,
Are you having a static ro at home or in the van,
And whats your tds,

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:50:26 pm »
You can't make any decision until you have tested to see what the tds of your water is..

Llaaww

if it is dirty it is fair game

Halfadaylee

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:55:07 pm »
Hi Guys

I am taking the plunge this year and going down the WFP route after three years trad, I have looked at the different systems on offer and have decided to have a van mounted system, so i was under the impression that i needed an RO pluss a Di vessel as im in a hard water area, But when i dropped into the window cleaning wharehouse in wolverhampton the other day the guy say i only need a Di Vessel?? im getting more confused buy the day  :P it would be better for me to just use a DI becuase i have got to run the water straight to the van! so this i hear would be quicker, But i want to be sure im gonna get pure water.
Any help or info would be great guys

cheers
Mark

Mark,
I dont know why they tell people local to them that they only need di. They are not bad to deal with and some good prices.
But yes in walsall if your south staffs water you need to ro first.
Are you putting everything in your van or are you going to make the water and store it in an ibc or similar at your home?
Art

mark mids

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:01:23 pm »
ok, im gonna get one of those TDS thingys tomora and test the water, When i say im gonna feed the water straight to the the van, this is because i live in a flat (bottom floor) and have no room to store water tanks!
so what ever i do it has to all be fitted into the van.
Cheers for the replys guys  :)

steven ainger

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:04:50 pm »
If you want to make the water on board, you will have to have a 4040 imo, that will make the water fast

mark mids

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:09:21 pm »
cheers steven, i dont want to pose as thick lol but whats one of those and what do i do with it? does it cost much? i got a budget of £800

steven ainger

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 10:15:15 pm »
Its a 40" ro, it makes pure water fast, but there quite exspensive, £500ish

mark mids

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »
£500  :o thats a bit out of the budget lol

mark mids

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »
im only looking to make about 250l a day at the mo, gonna trad the bottoms.

steven ainger

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
If you could have a static tank at home, you could have a cheaper ro , because it can run all day when your at work, they are very slow

easy clean

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 10:41:53 pm »
They are slow but make water at a better quality, if you've got a holding tank then get a 300 gpd system and run it 24/7 better to make water slower and better quality than super fast with a higher tds!

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 10:46:08 pm »
I've got a Merlin system in my van with a resin DI because I also live in a flat (12 floors up) and the water is metered anyway. Like you, I was told by a local janitorial supplier I only needed a DI which was a load of .........................

My biggest problem is water supply. There's a mains tap in the carpark but that means going downstairs every evening for anything between 30 minutes and an hour and a half.

As I only got a Transit Connect at the moment, I use 5 X 25 ltr barrels along with a 30ltr trolley system. I use the one made by Gardiners and it does the job brilliantly. I can use it either from the van or as a trolley.

I do uppers WFP and often, but not always, downstairs trad. On my own I've only ever used the whole lot of water in one day. I've got to know the customers that are not on a meter and if they are at work, I have the merlin running while I'm cleaning their windows. It takes me about 3 or 4 minutes to get it up and running and it sits in my van in an old recycle bin in case of any leaks.

The merlin is a compact unit and is easy to move from the van to indoors if temperatures are to go below freezing.

My whole setup - Merlin RO, DI, Ionics pole, Gardiner trolley and all associated connectors etc, cost £925.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

mark mids

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:17 am »
hi rosskesava
is this your system? http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Pure_Water_Trolley_Systems.html

And what make is your merlin?
cheers

steven ainger

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 07:04:00 pm »
hi rosskesava
is this your system? http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Pure_Water_Trolley_Systems.html

And what make is your merlin?
cheers

Mark - that's the one.

It's about the best trolley I've used so far. I've made 2 changes to it though.

The battery could only be charged on the trolley and was stuck down with double sided sticky tabs. I replaced that with velcro so as I can remove the battery and charge it indoors. I had to buy the same female connecter as on the trolley and a couple of spaid connectors for the battery which cost maybe a two quid from maplins.

The hose the trolley came with was 8mm (I think) and not very long which apart from the length issue, it emptied the trolley at an alarming speed. I changed it for 100m of microbore.

The merlin is made by merlin and I bought mine here:

http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cleaningspot.co.uk%2facatalog%2finfo.html&WD=merlin&PN=RO_Systems.html%23aRO10G#aRO10G

That was the cheapest price I found in the uk. Also, if you do buy a Merlin, buy the John Guest to Hoselock connectors for it as it'll make life easier.

Cheers
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

mark mids

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 11:11:28 pm »
This Is what some guy from another forum said

""You see, I would have twin 11 ltr DI's with that TDS ( as I do ). I have DI's on board & purify on-demand (which is important to resin life). My TDS is approx 85/90ppm.

I have a 400ltr van mount & only use 3 bags of resin per year max!

I can fill my tank from "any" tap in 10/15 minutes, no replacement membranes, no static tank, no booster pump, none of these to freeze etc etc. So, when you weigh these thing up + your costs of equipment & filters (RO) 3 bags of resin per year seems good value to me. No RO & none of the cost & hassle that goes with it for the grand total of £210 max per year! ""

Would this give you zero tds???

rosskesava

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:29:26 am »
It'll depend on the TDS (total disolved solids) in the area around where you live and yes, it would give zero tds to start with but for how long?

If the tap water around here was 90 then I'd be using just resin in a DI container but it's not, it's around 300 so I'd go through resin at an incredible rate.

I don't know how to put this but often claims are made on forums that have an element of truth but quite often..... as in 'I earn £400 a day' and so on, there's no way to verify them.

Buy a TDS meter (about a tenner) and check the water where you live. If it's low, try just a DI unit and see for yourself what costs are involved.

Even if you buy a Merlin, you'll still need a DI unit/container so you won't be wasting a penny by buying one although you may waste money on the resin to go in it if the tds is high.

Cheers

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 08:20:19 am »
This Is what some guy from another forum said

""You see, I would have twin 11 ltr DI's with that TDS ( as I do ). I have DI's on board & purify on-demand (which is important to resin life). My TDS is approx 85/90ppm.

I have a 400ltr van mount & only use 3 bags of resin per year max!

I can fill my tank from "any" tap in 10/15 minutes, no replacement membranes, no static tank, no booster pump, none of these to freeze etc etc. So, when you weigh these thing up + your costs of equipment & filters (RO) 3 bags of resin per year seems good value to me. No RO & none of the cost & hassle that goes with it for the grand total of £210 max per year! ""

Would this give you zero tds???

Yep, that "other guy" was me ;D

What you forgot to cut & paste was the post I was quoting- who was "another guy" with a tds of 65ppm ;D