colley614

Re: thinkin of building a traditional round
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 08:38:35 pm »
I think you would be going backwards. You've worked so hard to build up a business using the poles.

In work I'm responsible for three systems and a 22 metre access platfrom aswell as six lads. From this I've learned that some systems are far more reliable than others. I'm not going to knock the two systems that we have problems with on a monthly basis but I would say that the purefreedom 650ltr system we have never lets us down. The other two seem very over complicated and its these overly developed parts that fail. If its basics that are failing and being damaged by your lads I would warn them that if the van is off the road due to neglect then they will be sent home unpaid and they will get billed for replacement parts and labour.
Some of the lads in our place don't care about the kit and others take pride in it. At the end of the day you've supplied them with kit to earn them a living, if they can't look after your kit then you can't supply them a living.
Theres loads of people out there who would love a job right now, I'm sure most of the problems your having can be ironed out.

richywilts

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »
yeah i see ya point iv targetted all the more affluent areas in my town and i see it as a cost effective way of bringing more money in without the major costs of buying new van and systems etc
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »
I think you would be going backwards. You've worked so hard to build up a business using the poles.

In work I'm responsible for three systems and a 22 metre access platfrom aswell as six lads. From this I've learned that some systems are far more reliable than others. I'm not going to knock the two systems that we have problems with on a monthly basis but I would say that the purefreedom 650ltr system we have never lets us down. The other two seem very over complicated and its these overly developed parts that fail. If its basics that are failing and being damaged by your lads I would warn them that if the van is off the road due to neglect then they will be sent home unpaid and they will get billed for replacement parts and labour.
Some of the lads in our place don't care about the kit and others take pride in it. At the end of the day you've supplied them with kit to earn them a living, if they can't look after your kit then you can't supply them a living.
Theres loads of people out there who would love a job right now, I'm sure most of the problems your having can be ironed out.

that will be the smoke and mirrors to justify the extra thousands they cost. good post btw
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Johnny B

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »
re: jonny b, i always sell wfp as cleaning the frames and the sills and standard.  whereas when i was trad, i rarely did the frames, so i charge a higher price cos im doing more work in the customers eyes

I am a perfectionist (OCDish), therefore I clean the frames every time. The reactions I get from happy customers who get this service as a matter of course, but who don't expect it is great, especially when it creates lots of new work via word of mouth recommendations.    :)

John   
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

colley614

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 09:30:05 pm »

that will be the smoke and mirrors to justify the extra thousands they cost. good post btw

Thats the point I'm trying to make bud. These top of the range type models have lots of parts that simply aren't needed. Tank, pump, controller and merlin and di are bullet proof. Yet I find all crazy bits and pieces spliced into these set ups and its these overly developed and overly priced parts that leave our vans sat parked up. 

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »
or set bob on lol
then youll ava nother breakdown
a mental one  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

supernova77

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 11:24:26 pm »
Thats the point I'm trying to make bud. These top of the range type models have lots of parts that simply aren't needed. Tank, pump, controller and merlin and di are bullet proof. Yet I find all crazy bits and pieces spliced into these set ups and its these overly developed and overly priced parts that leave our vans sat parked up.

Exactly! At the end of the day all you need is pure water at the brush on the end of a pole... It's not rocket science.

Andy

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:53 am »
keep systems simple!tank,pumpbox or trolley,reel, pole.

pure freedom for systems and  gardiners clx for staff.dt flocked brush as they are  hard wearing.

you could get the lads to wfp tops only(saving water,less to produce in the evening,smaller tanks,vans =lower running costs etc)

provide them with good trad gear(unger imo)and get them a bottle holder each so they dont have to carry a bucket about with them so they can quickly switch from wfp to trad with ease on the job.

cheaper prices?granted i have some cheaper work but its very compact(150 houses all virtually right next to each other).i still earn ok out of them and they pay on time(most of em)which results in good cashflow but if its not compact, lower prices wouldnt be good for profit margins!

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

colley614

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:35 am »
keep systems simple!tank,pumpbox or trolley,reel, pole.

pure freedom for systems and  gardiners clx for staff.dt flocked brush as they are  hard wearing.

you could get the lads to wfp tops only(saving water,less to produce in the evening,smaller tanks,vans =lower running costs etc)

provide them with good trad gear(unger imo)and get them a bottle holder each so they dont have to carry a bucket about with them so they can quickly switch from wfp to trad with ease on the job.

cheaper prices?granted i have some cheaper work but its very compact(150 houses all virtually right next to each other).i still earn ok out of them and they pay on time(most of em)which results in good cashflow but if its not compact, lower prices wouldnt be good for profit margins!

regards

dazmond

Thats what I can hitting the nail on the head. All the gear you mentioned is bang on, I've used all sorts of gear over the years and I can't fault unger or purefreedom. I've never tried a gardiners pole but since your bang on about the rest, I'm going on their website now to have a nose! ;D

richywilts

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »
hiya keith where r u based on your merseyside based??????
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

colley614

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »
I live in New Ferry. I'm working for a firm based by birkenhead docks.

TomCrowther

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 08:36:25 pm »
Hi Richy
Don't take this backward step mate. I believe that as "professional cleaners", we clean the windows appropriately. So the majority of domestics will be wfp, trad when inside or as dictated by flooring/frames etc. Same with commercial/industrial.
You have just had a bad run of luck and maybe one or two of your staff are either heavy handed or deliberately breaking things {for whatever reason}. Tell the guys they are resonsible for breakages. Wear and tear is expected but nothing more.
Get the right kit and maintain it properly. Get spare everything {pump, fittings, y peices, brush hose, inline filter and whatever else you may need}. Keep them in the van, so the most down time possible is ten minutes unless it's a van breakdown. Make someone responsible for this so you can just check the check list.
I work on my own but appreciate the added stress if you have employees.

richywilts

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 09:11:09 pm »
I live in New Ferry. I'm working for a firm based by birkenhead docks.

oh only down the road then my ex n my son live in port sunlight nr the posh hotel after the bypass roundabout
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

colley614

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 09:18:30 pm »
Cracking little village port sunlight. I used to live in the apartments over the road from them.

richywilts

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 11:08:34 am »
oh ya might know me mate ben steadman and kerry they live in them apartment that back onto the bypass drives an audi
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

colley614

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 08:24:28 pm »
There the ones I used to live in. To be fair I haven't lived up there for years although I used to have the contratc to clean the landings down, I wanted the window cleaning but hallmark did them.